What’s For Dinner #87 - the Holiday Menu Planning Edition - November 2022

5 cheese? Sounds good. Care to elaborate?

Filet of beef on the grill. Potato-onion-gruyere gratin. Romaine with Caesar dressing.

Spuds, onions and lettuce from the garden.

18 Likes

I’ll remember this should I ever get there.

Inverted pizza for dinner tonight, for various reasons.
I wanted to make the pizza dough I liked so much last week again to see if it was repeatable.
No mozzarella and I’m fighting a change of weather cold or something like it and didn’t feel up to going out to pick some up.
Pizza stone takes too long to heat up.

Delicious combination, as potato pizza always is, and the inverted technique was simpler than it seemed (@LulusMom1 iirc you made this for COTM at some point?)

Also, a crisp crust, though I may have overdone the crisp a bit.

I used all-AP this time, and while the dough was lovely and supple again, I’ll have to make a “normal” pizza to do a proper comparison with last week’s half-00 version (I have another ball of dough in the fridge).

Earlier in the day, I combined the duck broth from the other day (which was lovely and gelatinous under the layer of fat I peeled off the top for later use) with more aromatics, greens, and poached chicken to make chicken noodle soup to nurse the change-of-weather cough/cold/something I’ve been fighting off and foolishly made worse last night. Very soothing.

20 Likes

i guess i just cook on Sundays now. :cry:

yesterday my sister and i went to Tsar Nicoulai Caviar Cafe in the Ferry Bldg. after seeing the Guo Pei exhibit at the Legion of Honor. Both were fantastic. We had the eggs on eggs, the caviar sampler of Baerii and Osetra, farmed in Greece, with all the accoutrements, and a small salad of sable and watermelon radish that our server kind of just made up for us, as we wanted the sable but didn’t want anything too big. Salad had this wonderful raspberry vinaigrette and our server gave us a jar to take home. Super nice! Splurgey for sure, but we were kind of celebrating getting out into the “real world” again (tho masked, and it was nice to see our server masked when almost no one at the museum was except us.)

Tsar Nicolai Schramberg Rose

AND, who sat down next to us at the counter? Joanne Weir (chef & cookbook author from Weir Cooking show on PBS) and her hubby. I hadn’t watched her show in AGES, but it was cool seeing her, and we chatted a little with them.

The BF and I watched a Chef John video last night and I was inspired to make his chicken fricasee today, which turned out really great. I took his suggestion of using creme fraiche instead of heavy cream, and i used a New Zealand sauvignon blanc for the wine so the dish had a nice tang, and a little heat from the cayenne he puts in just about every single recipe (this probably didn’t need it but it was still really good.) Served over buttery mashed. I also made a little green salad with that raspberry vinaigrette from Tsar Nicoulai.

21 Likes

Tonight was eventful, though it started out unassumingly. I made a sandwich consisting of grilled chicken, caramelized onions*, Swiss cheese, and a roasted red pepper aioli that simply required me to put a dab of mayo, a small jar of RRP, a splash of olive oil, two cloves of garlic, salt, and pepper into a food processor and let it do all the work.

*Despite cooking for 90 minutes, the onions did not resemble true caramelization. Good as they were, but not what I was looking for.

I assembled the sandwich and put it in the oven at 400 for a few minutes to get it all melty. Well, when I removed the pan, I did not realize the towel was wet and I burned my thumb pretty bad. Somehow I did not drop the meal on the floor. I probably should have let it go, but whatever. I spent dinner with one hand in a bowl of ice water and the other to hold the sandwich. It feels fine now, but I have a nice little welt dead center in my thumb.

End result: sandwich was fantastic, mainly due to the aioli. Side of waffle fries in the air fryer. Multiple drinks! No pics of anything.

16 Likes

beautiful!

Tonight’s dinner was a fail… My girlfriend requested a black olive quiche, as she loves black olives on homemade pizza. So I made one up with onions, mushrooms and black olives. Heated it up at halftime (tonight) and we tried it… NOPE!! It was edible, but it wasn’t good, so I won’t be doing that again.

10 Likes

15 Likes

I grated sharp cheddar, pepper jack, swiss and then added a small amount of smoked cheddar and smoked pepper jack my granddaughter made. I smush it altogether into a patty the same size as the bread.

5 Likes

I did make the inverted pizza from one of the Milk Street books (I’m thinking it’s in Mediterranean Tuesdays). I was lazy and bought a premade, roll out crust though. But we loved it. Funnily enough, I had originally planned to make it again this evening, but then we ordered in pizza on Saturday, so I scrapped that plan. Soon. Yours looks fantastic.

2 Likes

This sounds great - especially the smoked cheeses.

1 Like

I run a local food/home chef group, and yesterday was the second potluck I organized. We had a couple returnees from the inaugural potluck & a bunch of newbz. A cornucopia of dishes were brought, including fantastic falafel & hummus from two restaurateurs who recently moved to the area, a great rendition of mapo tofu made by a Vietnamese member, smoky pulled pork, gravlax w/REAL pumpernickel & sweet mustard sauce by yours truly, and a fabulous flan. I even got to try my first ever green bean casserole (quite good but very rich), but drew the line at a butternut squash casserole that “could pass as dessert” according to its creator. Not a fan of sweet sides.

Overall another lovely evening with strangers and friends.

Ikra (eggplant caviar served in a bread loaf)

Gravlax

Fatoush, hummus, pita

Amazing falafel (two kinds)

Mapo tofu

Pulled pork

Green bean casserole

Butternut squash casserole

Pineapple cheese pie

Pumpkin bread pudding with bourbon butter sauce oh, my!

No pic of the very good flan.

23 Likes

ouch! sorry about the thumb! you are indeed to be commended for not dropping the pan… i think we just do that out of instinct.

3 Likes

What wasn’t good about it? Just curious since it looks great!

Reminds me of the time when I was almost 9 months pregnant. It was winter and I was picking up pizza for dinner. I slipped on a patch of ice, but hell if I was going to ruin a perfectly good pizza. I managed to shift my fall from forward to backward, fell square on my butt in slush, and I didn’t drop the pizza. Dinner was saved!

14 Likes

You’re a keeper. She’s lucky to have you!

1 Like

Tonight I made a lovely shrimp pulao with chiles and garlic from the October COTM (Maunika Gowardhan’s THALI and WEBSITE), which I have written up here. We had it with a simple spring mix, tomato, and shallot salad.

20 Likes

“FWIW, I’ve not once fried the chicken as the recipe requires. I use BISO thighs and roast them at 375, starting skin down.”

What’s a BISO? A large mammal missing a consonant?

“WBOSC as opposed to PSTOSC!”

And again . . . what does this mean please?

BISO is common-ish cook shorthand for bone-in, skin on, especially in reference to chicken thighs.

TPSTO = the proverbial shit ton of X.

6 Likes