What’s For Dinner #87 - the Holiday Menu Planning Edition - November 2022

I made a lasagna-esque baked pasta and Swiss chard with orange, garlic, golden raisins, RPF and balsamic. Date-nut bars for dessert. My friend joined and brought red wine.

19 Likes

Those fatboy do sound good. The Syrian side sounds fairly standard. We don’t have that many Middle Eastern options - or Korean for that matter - in my neighborhood so I’d probably be happy with this two-in-one concept. It almost reads like to restaurants sharing one space.

I’d love to try something that blends both cuisines but everything I come up with wounds terrible to me.

Bay scallops are in season, and I haven’t had them in a while. Had lemons and limes to use up, so made a ceviche with Korean pear and persimmon.

This is only part of dinner. The other part is leftovers so not so exciting and photo worthy.

16 Likes

That looks great! I have some coming in my December seafood shipment. I can’t wait!

2 Likes

Udon noodles with roasted mushrooms, poached egg, and black pepper, shoyu broth.
Adapted from https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/life-changing-udon-with-soft-boiled-egg-hot-soy-and-black-pepper .
Udon with mushrooms soy butter and black pepper

17 Likes

Do you mind if I ask where you purchase your seafood? We’re making a trip to big-box-store-ville next week and hope to find something, but I’d be interested in other sources.

Wulf’s Fish - They are local to me (Boston), but they have a monthly subscription series so I get them to ship (they ship, I think, anywhere). I also get notices from them when they have new products coming in, so I will tack items on to the monthly delivery as one-time orders (my subscription clears their free shipping threshold, so the new items don’t incur any additional shipping fees).

4 Likes

Thank you! I’ll check them out.

1 Like

Baby loin lamb chops were also on sale at Hannaford this past week, so I bought several packages, and one package was dinner tonight.

Two chops were marinated all day in olive oil, fesh lemon juice, lemon zest, minced garlic, fresh oregano, rosemary, and parsley, and s/p. Brought to room temp and pan-seared for 4 minutes each side, then butter added to the pan and spooned over the chops with the garlic and herbs from the marinade until they reached medium rare at 125°, about 4 more minutes.

Roasted Yukon Gold potatoes seasoned with olive oil and salt and pepper, and steamed green beans.

A lovely French chardonnay alongside.

17 Likes

Giblet giouvetsi, and the last of my garden veg. Beets, fried radishes and a mini squash.

12 Likes

" RITZY PALACE, Markham " - An overdue update confirming both food quality and value are still top-notch!!

IMO, at the price point they are offering, some of their set-menus have no parallel in terms of a complete ‘options, quality and value’ package!
Case in point, the set menu we chose tonight at $168 included:

• Peking duck 2 ways
  • 4 pound giant lobster prepared ’ Maggi sauce ’ way
  • Sauteed squid and prawns with seasonal greens
  • Sweet and Sour Pork
  • Braised pea-shoots, tofu skin, Goji berries in ‘Shan-tong’ broth
  • Fried rice with lobster tamale and shrimp

To that, we added and tried out a delicious a-la-carte ‘new’ dish of 'Pan seared filet mignon cubes in mustard sauce paired with fried egg custard 'and a very well executed and flavourful ’ Seafood Chow Mien '.

For a perfect ending, someone in our group brought an outstanding and delectable ’ Strawberry Pavlova '!!..perfect with the flowery and fruity late-harvest German white!

The amount of food was more than enough to stuff 7 growing, adults, the surplus left over enough to fill up three containers to be enjoyed at home at a later date whilst enjoying the season’s first snow onslaught!😋😱❄️🌨

16 Likes

Charles - as always, your dinners have me green with envy! Can you enlighten us a bit more about the lobster prepared in the “Maggi sauce” way? I have some Maggi sauce and, on an infinite timeline, will be procuring lobster (although I have a number of shrimp I could bring to bear right now for a test run!).

3 Likes

I also initially assumed it was fusion. I was bummed it wasn’t, until I tasted the fatboy, at which point I forgot allllll about hummus.

3 Likes

Most ’ restaurant ’ version first deep fried the crustacean to seal in the juices before returning them to a heated wok for stirred frying and caramelization! After splashing in some cooking wine ( flambee if possible ) add maggi sauce ( may be enhanced with a touch more sugar ) and toss to coat. Sounds simple but requires good timing and skill in executing the various steps.

4 Likes

Duly noted. Thank you!

2 Likes

Also, thank you!

1 Like

We enjoyed another excellent dinner with some friends at La Lupa restaurant in Manalapan, NJ, including an awesome Scarmoza pizza with butternut squash, hot honey, and quanciale; lobster gnocchi; melt in your mouth beef cheeks with mushroom risotto; caesar salad; and peanut butter brownie for dessert. It all went great with some excellent cabernets and a shiraz.

14 Likes

Split pea and ham shank soup. Grilled 5 cheese sandwich. Beefeater rocks.

25 Likes

As a home cook, I am considering this recipe (with some dry sherry sizzled in before the addition of Maggi): https://www.etfoodvoyage.com/garlic-maggi-prawns/

2 Likes