What’s For Dinner #87 - the Holiday Menu Planning Edition - November 2022

My own pine nuts story: A good friend and I have a deal (during normal years), where she hosts Thanksgiving and I do the cooking. On the Tuesday before, I nibbled on some pine nuts I got for the stuffing.

My taste buds were shot. I had to cook everything–turkey, stuffing (without the pine nuts!), gravy, mashed potatoes, sauteed chanterelles–without being able to even taste whether the seasonings were right, not even the salt. I enlisted the other guests to do the tasting for me, and it came out ok, for everyone else who could still taste. It took about a month to completely clear.

4 Likes

Thanksgiving was great . Beautiful host . Fabulous food and drink . Good friends . What more can you ask for . Cheers.

19 Likes

Turkey and Swiss on cranberry walnut bread. Oven fries. Cider gravy. Carrot slaw. Pickled green beans. Applesauce.

There will be pumpkin ice cream for dessert.

20 Likes

Home after a LONG day at work (we work together, same shift today). BF is currently making his stuffing for our Thanksgiving tomorrow and then we’re making a quick stir fry tonight. There are cocktails.

Dessert for the festivities is a Pecan Pie via Costco. We started picking at it two days ago. No way we will finish it. It is absurdly large.

20 Likes

Beautiful day here too. A martini for the cook while preparing a very traditional Thanksgiving dinner. I made Ina’s herb roasted turkey breast in the grill with a little alder smoke. Dressing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and gravy. Salad of mixed greens, celery, green onion, red anjou pear, gorgonzola, pistachios with a pomegranate molasses, balsamic, oo, dressing. Wine. Dessert was pumpkin ice cream with bourbon maple syrup and pistachios.
I forgot to take a beauty shot of the breast before I carved it. I have too many leftovers and no room in the freezer. I going to have to start eating leftovers to make room for the leftovers.

22 Likes

Mrs. P made crispy deep fried soft shell crabs and a sweet potato casserole with fried sage, pecans, and marshmallows. We added crumbled gingersnaps (not pictured) from World Market for a little crunch and more flavor. It all went great with our favorite red blend.

19 Likes

Wow, that looks great! Was it difficult to do?

Our Thanksgiving dinner was a spatchcoked turkey ala Serious Eats. I’ve done this type of turkey on the charcoal Weber many times, but last year it wasn’t very successful. I blamed it on the cold day. It just wouldnt get done, had to pull it & finish in the oven. Probably the worst turkey I"ve ever done, almost tasteless… This year I decided to just do it in the oven. Bird was a fresh 12 lb from Foster Farms. Dry brined over night. Roasted at 450, took slightly less than an hour! Very juicy & flavorful! We are not big fans of white meat, but this is the exception, delish! Mashed Yukon Golds, steamed buttered green beans, homemade cranberry & great gravy completed the meal with pumpkin cheescake for dessert…

22 Likes

Since we celebrated a traditional Thanksgiving with family last weekend (see post #212 in the Thanksgiving 2022 thread fro details) we decided to go untraditional yesterday. I came across a recipe for turkey pho using the carcass. We love pho but I never tried to make and since I had the time figured this would be a great time to try. I had to rely on the whatever I had in the house as I didn’t want to be anywhere near a grocery store on Wednesday. Luckily I had just about everything called for. I even had some extra pan drippings that I thew into the pot. The end result was very tasty and there was plenty of broth to freeze for another time.

22 Likes

Not too difficult. Wednesday afternoon I put together the turkey breast porchetta and put it, loosely wrapped per the recipe instructions, in the fridge. Then yesterday I made the broccoli rabe (sauteed in olive oil with red pepper flakes and garlic until tender and then hit with a little lemon juice at the end), warmed the sandwich rolls (from local bakery institution, Iggy’s) and assembled the sandwiches. We have enough leftovers to repeat the sandwiches today for lunch!

7 Likes

Felt like a big salad today (wonder why :thinking::grinning:).

Aldi 4 gem lettuce (all four heads), cuke, radish, avocado, campari tomatoes, blue cheese, sautéed shrooms with roasted hazelnut vinaigrette . Side of crispy crunchy spicy chicken fingers.

Couldn’t finish it all.

16 Likes

Thanksgiving Dinner at last. Team effort.

A shot of my Bacon-Bourbon-Brown Sugar Brussels Sprouts. Too saucy. Too much bourbon. LOL

Appetizers: fried asparagus and garlic shrimp. Fun fact: while “Asparagus Fries” are relatively new and popular, we’ve been doing them in my family for decades. They were meant as a side every year, but they never seemed to make it to the table with the main course.

Martinis for me. An Espresso Martini and beer for BF. A Rob Roy for mom.

Day late but not a dollar short. Guess you just have to make due when you can.

23 Likes

A repeat of last nights turkey sandwich dinner, sans the spuds. There will be ice cream.

20 Likes

After all the cooking and cleaning last night for Thanksgiving, I mailed it in tonight. Hamburgers (on the George Foreman Grill) mac and cheese and green beans. I served dinner on paper plates, as well.

12 Likes

I didn’t think there was such a thing as too much bourbon

6 Likes

Lentil, black bean, and quinoa old skool tacos tonight. Side of bagged Southwestern crunch salad, which we like. Pumpkin parfait.

19 Likes

Respect

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

11 Likes

Damn, that looks so good! I’m crossing my fingers for Sichuan delivery tonight :crossed_fingers:

1 Like