What’s For Dinner #87 - the Holiday Menu Planning Edition - November 2022

Smooth jazz, wine and comfort food.
Creamy chicken stew, I halved-ish the recipe and used chicken thighs… Warm homemade bread I found in the freezer. Butter? of course. Salad of mixed greens, garden tomatoes, green onion, gorganzola cheese and ranch.

22 Likes

More African regional food tonight.

An Ethiopian lentil and potato soup – I used fresh tomatoes instead of canned.

North African spiced meatballs in an orange-scented tomato sauce, served over couscous with sultanas and toasted pine nuts.

Tomatoes, potatoes, kale, onion, and shallots from the garden.

20 Likes

The chicken stew sounds good. I bookmarked that one - thank you for the link.

1 Like

I don’t know where you live but I’ll let you know when my next virtual one is!

2 Likes

Back in the big Apple, so I hit up a Vietnamese joint for papaya salad and pho. Immense relief.

8 Likes

and to anyone interested, i.e. @GretchenS - i posted my Barcelona trip finally. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

i adore a good tuna melt! i especially like it if i add in a grilled tomato… heaven.

2 Likes

Doctor’d up instant ramen with homemade chicken stock, scallions, celery, yams, bean sprouts, pork, and conpoy (at bottom of bowl).

20 Likes

While grocery shopping the other day I came upon some ground lamb that was on sale. I was so thrilled to be able to shop on my own again I went a little crazy and bought several packages. Since I didn’t have enough room in the freezer for all of it I used a package for dinner. Decided to make a lamb bolognese seasoned with Middle Eastern spices - cumin, coriander, ginger, Baharat, Urfa peppers. Served over angel hair pasta since I had some leftover, tzatziki, pine nuts, and parsley.

23 Likes

Along the lines of Italian wedding soup: sausage, beans, pasta and veg, along with the obligatory parmesan rind. Toasted stirato for dunking.

Tomatoes, kale and onions from the garden.

22 Likes

Nice soup.

4 Likes

Freezer dive - my made-from-scratch Thai green curry paste (circa whoknowswhen?). I asked the BF to make this tonight: blended with coconut milk, with leftover chicken, carrots, zucchini, and cilantro. Tasty and a little spicy.

18 Likes

@MunchkinRedux May I ask what state you’re from? (You may have told us already but I can’t remember :wink: ) I’m suitably impressed you’re still using veggies from your garden. I’m writing from Canada and our gardens finished a few weeks ago. I miss my CSA already…

I picked these in southwestern Ontario today and Tuesday :slightly_smiling_face:

14 Likes

Couple of recent meals:

Panko and Parmesan Crusted Halibut, asparagus, frozen French fries, and house-made tartar sauce.
Carolina style pulled pork sandwiches with spicy slaw.
Apple pie - H’s sisters threw down the gauntlet for an apple pie challenge, because it was their parent’s family tradition on election days. The pie was H’s baby, and he used a combo of Gala and Jazz apples. Used a new recipe & it was pretty good actually. The apples held their shape and it wasn’t too sweet.

18 Likes

I’m in Washington State, on the coastal side of the Cascade Mountains.

The tomatoes were harvested a few weeks ago - still green - and have been ripening indoors. The onions, similarly, were harvested during the summer, and have been stored. The Russian kale was picked fresh - unless we get a deep freeze, it should keep going (albeit slowly) most of the winter.

We’re running thin on fresh garden greens, but have spuds, onions, carrots, cabbage and winter squash enough stored to last another month or two. Plenty of peas, green beans, zucchini and berries in the freezer. I try to cook based on what we’ve harvested and put by - what we lack in variety, we make up for in enthusiasm! :grin:

15 Likes

Dinner tonight was kind of hit or miss depending on how you look at it. 72*, breezy, so I opened up the windows in this end of the house, both screen doors and shut the two doors to the other part of the house. And decided it was salmon patty day! And while I was at it thought well why not fried potatoes and onions as long as I can air the house out. All went well and dinner was done. Then I caught a faint whiff of skunk outside. We’re rural. Brought our dog in. Windows and doors are shut now. The house smells faintly of salmon patties and fried onions. Not my favorite smell but better than skunk. Oh and turnip greens from the freezer with Crystal hot sauce… All in all not a bad dinner.:slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

Any chance you could paraphrase the tuna melt recipe? Or an ingredient list? Paywall…

1 Like

Here are the ingredients (although personally I omit the dill and the mustard). She recommends a sharp cheddar, and rye or sourdough for bread.

3 x 6-oz. cans of water-packed tuna
3/4 c. mayo
1/4 c. finely chopped cornichons or dill pickles
3 T. minced red onion
2 T. lemon juice
1 T. minced fresh dill (optional)
2 t. whole-grain mustard
1/4 t. kosher salt
1/4 t. black pepper

9 Likes

Last night was a very simple lemon chicken and rice. The chicken thighs were marinated in lots of lemon, bay leaf, mustard, garlic and olive oil. The whole meal cooked together in the one pot which was great for clean up and the chicken helped flavour the rice too. Fiance wasn’t too impressed but I thought it was easy and tasty.

Excuse the messy plating!

22 Likes