What’s for Dinner #56: The No Place Like Home Edition - April 2020

Exactly! Perfect translation. We praised him for trying something new, gave him the phrase, “I don’t care for it right now,” and moved on. Bigger fish to fry.

5 Likes

Dinner hit the spot.

Our handyman who is mexican was still working outside at dinnertime so we served chicken tinga tacos to someone who knows what it’s actually supposed to taste like… :roll_eyes: I said it would be like going to his place and having him serve us indian food :rofl: Poor guy. But it tasted pretty good to me :joy:

I made some cabbage slaw for crunch, which was a nice foil for the spice of the tinga.

Enough leftovers too, which makes me happy!

15 Likes

Margaritas in just the cutest glasses and shrimp tacos for Taco Tuesday. A very blah pic but they were delicious.

16 Likes

I realized I hadn’t had a salad in weeks, so I bought romaine at the grocery store the other day and made ginormous steak Caesar salads for dinner. I felt very virtuous and health conscious until I drank an entire bottle of wine during my weekly college-friend Zoom game night afterwards!

13 Likes

Fantastic

Some meatballs following this Serious Eats recipe by Daniel Gritzer. Pretty straightforward meatball recipe outside of the optional minced gelatinized chicken broth (or better than bouillon broth in my case). Sauced with some Rao’s marinara.

Also a salad:

13 Likes

Those wontons look really good. Seems like a lot of effort to make the homemade wrappers but I’m guessing they taste better than the store bought ones!

4 Likes

image Buffalo chicken wings, oven baked at high temp so came out nice and crispy

14 Likes

Last night was ricotta gnocchi with Marcela Hazan’s bolognese. I had really high hopes for this meal, but I think the gnocchi (while light and texturally lovely) were kinda bland. Sauce was great but overall it was a let down. Deliciousness to effort didn’t work out to a good ratio for my current crazy schedule. Oh well.

Tonight I marinated some defrosted hanger steaks that had been lingering in the freezer with a paste made from parsley, green onion, a healthy amount of garlic and some fish sauce. Seared the steaks in cast iron til medium rare. Accompanied by roasted new potatoes, carrots and cauliflower. started with a little mixed green salad. No pic tonight but much more satisfying than the prior night’s gnocchi.

17 Likes

Clandestine grilled cheese at midnight.

The Art of the Perfect Grilled Cheese (Plus 20 Variations to Shake Things Up) J. KENJI LÓPEZ-ALT

Grilled Cheese with Brie and Preserves

I used my home grown, homemade pepper jelly!

This is what I’ve been reduced to.
:worried:
The reduced part is not gonna last.

17 Likes

The main difference is more the size than the taste. Since here there is not a dominant Cantonese population here in France, the shops sell the wrappers with the idea one size fits all or they have no idea of the right size, the wonton wrappers in shops are too big, about 9 cm / 3.5 in. I’ve tried to use those to make wonton in the past, I put more ingredients and a bigger shrimp, the feel was not right, too much skin and a big wonton with too much pork. If I put less ingredients, you felt too much wrapper.

With the recipe I was using this time (flour, eggs and bicarbonate soda) the size was 7cm / 2.75 in, it was a challenge to put everything inside but the feeling in mouth was right. Of course need to fine tune the cooking time and the thickness of the wrapper and the folding method. But it’s closer to the real thing. :blush:

4 Likes

Bolognese over fettuccine because that’s what I had. Tasty and really pretty easy. Just a couple hours of letting the sauce bubble away. Tonight I’m making ribs and I’m very excited.

19 Likes

BTW, which chili oil have you used for the Sichuanese wontons?

I used some homemade chili oil that I made a little while ago.

1 Like

I want to grab those scallops right off your plate!

2 Likes

This salad looks AMAZING. I am drooling for raw veg. Trying to space apart our grocery trips to reduce contact, which means it is pretty rare these days that we have any raw veg… :frowning:

3 Likes

Not WFD, BUT… my first sourdough loaf from my own sourdough starter! i couldn’t be prouder. waiting for it to cool a bit to cut into it.

that starter took me 3+ weeks to get it going, but it was worth it.

26 Likes

Congratulations!

3 Likes

That. Is. Stunning. You have waaay more willpower than I do if you can resist making that beautiful loaf your dinner.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

hah! just had some.

22 Likes