What’s for Dinner #56: The No Place Like Home Edition - April 2020

I wanted that! I need to check what rice I have, but thanks for the reminder, love creamy mushroom with chicken!

Same here for a day last week, it was waffle all day!

3 Likes

Happy 45th anniversary, must be a first in confinement! Your pizza looked fab!

1 Like

Happy belated birthday! Cake looked inviting!

Cooking 2 proper meals a day took a lot more time, hardly have time for anything else! No idea when was the last meal I’ve posted.

Duck breasts with beer roasted pumpkin. The original recipe from Prune’s asked for ginger beer, I’d only normal beer, but grated a bit of fresh ginger with brewer yeast.

Chinese roasted pork belly, marinated with Shaoxing wine, 5 spice vinegar, seafood sauce, soy sauce, grated ginger, sesame oil and honey. Vegetables was stirred fried cucumber, soy beans and fresh onion seasoned with ginger.

Roasted pork with white wine and white asparagus with bacon.

Veal and goat cheese salad.

Prawn cheese pasta with a prawn wine anchovy sauce.

Saturday was spicy brats from Johnsonville (I think it’s a US brand), green pesto rice.

Last night was sushi with whatever fish we had: saithe, cod and wild salmon were used.

24 Likes

I believe you were interested in Chinese jerky
I made this today, Bak Kwa but I used organic maple duck breast which has very little fat but added sesame oil and since I am out of chinese rice wine ( lockdown), used courvaisier instead. I also used five spice powder which is typical as well as white pepper . Turned out pretty
TOO TIRED TO TAKE PICTURES, LOTS OF WORK HERE PLANTING 7 FRUIT TREES, 16 BERRIES ( 4 EACH STRAWBERRIES , BLUEBERRIES, RASPBERRIES AND BLACKBERRIES) , LOTS MORE VEGETABLE THAN LAST USE AS WELL AS TRYONG TO RAISE CHICKS SO WE DO NTO HAVE TO GO OUT TO STORE. ALL OF TH ESE WERE DELVIERED BUT WE SPRAY ALL THE PACKAGES AND LEAVE THEM OUT IN THE SUN FOR A FEW DAYS EXCEPT THE 6 CHICKS.

Follow video

10 Likes

CARBONARA DAY - APRIL 6th … Monday Lunch …

15 Likes

Tonight was my first attempt at toad in the hole. I used the wild boar sausages we had in the fridge. Tasted good but they were a bit too dense in texture for the dish. I also made an onion gray. I slow cooked the onions for 40 minutes and then decided to experiment with potato starch as a thickener.Excellent if you want to make onion flavour natto, for gravy not so much. Rescued it my pushing it through a sieve. Served with peas.

17 Likes

Dinner last night. French Dips again, no sacrifice for me! House made Bleu Cheese vinaigrette for the salad. I will admit to
eating the 1st sandwich half before taking the pic.

10 Likes

Looks delish to me, love how the pate choux ? puffs up, like Yorkshire puddings, a fav.

We got takeout - smoked wings, barbecue baby back pork ribs, collard greens, fried okra, and hush puppies. It was nice not to cook. And wonderful to have outside food. I am still a bit uncomfortable with takeout given the developing understanding of transmission, but we sanitized and masked appropriately, I hope.

My throat is bothering me (allergies? Lingering cold?) so I used @Saregama’s remedy - turmeric. In a tea with ginger, black pepper, coconut oil, honey, and milk.

12 Likes

Freezer dive rendered Taiwanese beef noodle soup i made a few weeks ago (months, years? who even knows.) Added scallions as there was no bok choy. Very warming on this craptastic cold & wet night.

virtual happy hour about to start with good friends should make me feel better.

15 Likes

I have been using Beekeepers Propolis throat spray. I give 5 sprays every morning. It is very soothing and all natural.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019ND0DU6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

It’s- Monday- so- it -must -be- grilled- NW -salmon -salmon.

Pallid roast veg on the side. Some where a lot better, but they got eaten.

14 Likes

@naf she uses indian flavors for some simple bakes and sautés, but also has “real” dishes prepared in a simplified fashion.

It’s a good intro book, but I’m not a novice indian cook as you know, and I still enjoy the recipes. Several are similar to some of our home dishes, which is what convinced me.

2 Likes

Feel better @ChristinaM! Use that turmeric a few times a day and kill those bugs!

1 Like

Chicken and chorizo paella. Cast iron pan instead of stainless shallow pot. Still no soccarat. But tasty.

16 Likes

Frittata: bacon, cauli, cabbage, carrot, onion, garlic, Italian parsley, thyme, s & p, EVO, eggs & a little heavy cream, DH gets bread with his… Easy meal :+1:
0406201914a

16 Likes

Congratulations ….what a way to look back and remember this milestone?..Many more to you and Mrs. Red!

1 Like

Looks wonderful!

1 Like