What’s for Dinner #52 - the Continuous Feasts Edition- December 2019

Crab cake sandwiches on soft potato rolls topped with thinly sliced cucumbers, kale sprouts and spicy mayo. Side of green pea slaw. White sangria.

Rice pudding for later with a copy of Ford vs Ferrari on the tube and the fireplace rolling.

A very happy New Year to all! May 2020 be a year of good health and great meals!

Rooster

10 Likes

Grew up eating that red lentil soup

2 Likes

More fuyu, tangerine accents

Chicken thigh saute sec, black Camargue rice

9 Likes

I jus stumbled onto this web site for a SS dumpling maker and a round cutter . Let me know if it works if you are interested in it. I find those doughs ready made in a package at Asian store, so I do not have to make my own dough but it may make life easier for you and if does, I might buy it too .

1 Like

Thanks! We went to see King James and the Special Men at Saturn Bar last night. Fell in love with them last time I was here. Danced my ass off!

No good food for dinner tho. :sob: Through a series of mishaps, delays, closures, etc., we wound up at a bar eating burgers and wings before the show. Ok burger, my wings were meh. :sob::sob::angry::sob::sob: I absolutely hate wasting a meal like that. At least I had very good sazeracs at the show.

We will make up for it today!

3 Likes

I have to check that out. Thank you!

I haven’t visited WFD for several weeks but thought I’d share the last meal of the year with you:

To start - pork rillettes (purchase at city’s Christmas market), toast, cornichons

To follow - slow roast shoulder of Cumbrian salt marsh lamb, dauphinoise potatoes, baked onion squash, peas, gravy, mint sauce.

To continue - Appleby’s Cheshire cheese and Gubeen. Cox’s apple. Home made chutney, Celery. Walnuts.

To finish - lemon tart (supermarket patisserie counter)

And there’s a few chocolate truffles for with the coffee.

Happy New Year to one and all. And Happy Eating.

11 Likes

It has just occurred to me… I know some of the foods you mentioned are store-bought but it would be fun to have a list of the best home-cooked/made things this year as well. “The best things you made this year, WFD version”?

Love salt marsh lamb. Hopefully one day I get to eat Cumbrian.

2 Likes

I think there’s really only two parts of the UK where it’s raised in any significant numbers - Cumbria and Kent. And it does seem to be very seasonal.

1 Like

We have one area, in the north, where salt marsh lamb is raised. Sadly it is only available there as “normal” lamb meat so you really have to go there to eat it. Some posh restaurants in the capital serve them, the rest goes to France and other countries as it’s more profitable for the farmers.

1 Like

Moi aussi.

I saw a lot of Salt Marsh lambs grazing in South Wales when I visited in 2016, esp near the Gower Peninsula. It is quite possible less is raised there than in Kent or Cumbria. I enjoyed some very good lamb in Cardiff.

@mariacarmen - have you discovered the “O” bar for Absinthe, in the quarter? They also have a hotel next door. Last time we were there, in April 2018 they had the best music of the trip, as well. How about Bacchanal in the Bywater area (upper ninth ward)? It seems to have an almost religious, cult like following, but I thought it was overrated, as well as ummm, not so clean in the courtyard seating area. The music, however was excellent. Not sorry I went, but once was enough. Hope you have a great time, and no more bad or so so meals for you!

2 Likes

Another year done.

For me, seeing 2019 in the rear view mirror is several months late. I have nothing good to say about these past 365 days.

Too much shit happened personally, to my friends, nationally, and internationally for me to even think anything was remotely good about this year.

Good riddance to 2019.

I didn’t even have the energy to prepare my usual NYE dinner, so a simple salad with poached chicken, carrots, radishes, red bell pepper, green onions, dried cranberries, and goat cheese with maple-balsamic vinaigrette drizzled on top sufficed (pic pre-dressing).

I’ll watch a movie and go to bed early. And hope 2020 is better for many of us.

I hope you all have a safe and happy New Year’s Eve.

14 Likes

Sounds superb. A very happy new year to you and Mrs. H.

3 Likes

Linda, I truly hope you have a much better year in 2020, the good health to enjoy it, as well as friends who have weathered their own personal storms.

Peace for all the world in the coming year. :dove:

6 Likes

Early snack supper (maybe more later?)
Prawns with cocktail sauce
Spouts in mustard sauce

Lobster ravioli in butter

7 Likes

We had an impromptu party. Tons of nibbles, chicken adobo with coconut milk and yellow rice, leftover pasta e fagioli, mac and cheese, dinosaur chicken nuggets, and Thai tofu curry for the veg contingent. Oven s’mores brought by our friends - with dark chocolate! Yum. No pics except for dessert. Cremant de Limoux, beer, and pinot noir to drink.

A very happy New Year to my WFD friends!

14 Likes

Windmill cookies, Waaaahht. Top of my cookie list.

3 Likes

$.49/pack at Aldi post Christmas.

1 Like