What’s for Dinner #52 - the Continuous Feasts Edition- December 2019

She won’t win any beautify contests, but this whole roasted cauli was quite delish.

We had a lot of things in the veg bin that had to be eaten before our trip, so I mortared & pestled scallions/garlic/kosher salt/cilantro/parsley/fennel fronds with evoo, and stirred in minced calabrian chilies. Roasted cauliflower was topped with toasted pepitas and parm regg, then drizzled with the oil. Really yummy.

Longaniza sausages were ok, a bit too salty, I could only manage one. We’d had plenty of carbs for our usual fries brunch earlier.

Last night my sister and i went out to dinner to celebrate my mom’s bday (she would have been 77) and also just to have a nice holiday dinner out and get away from the dogs (she got a sitter!) for a bit. Really great food, and too many cocktails.

I’m off to New Orleans tomorrow with the BF through Sunday (wheeee!), so while I’ll be checking in on you all, there’ll be no cooking for me. I’ll be writing an outsized report of all the good grub/drinks we inhale when I get back, of course.

Happy New Year to you all!

13 Likes

Panko crusted ham cutlet . Inspired by Midnight Diner on Netflix.
Kantotsku sauce . Rice and vegetables. Wine to drink.Cheers. :wine_glass:

4 Likes

A humble stir-fry consisting of chicken, kale (steamed in rice wine before adding), asparagus, red and habanero peppers, onions, garlic, and ginger.

13 Likes

It looks like breast meat; was it ok? Looks great!

Pappardelle alla Bolognese.

16 Likes

Have fun in New Orleans. If you’re looking for a good show to see on Monday (tonight) John Boutté is performing at d.b.a. on Frenchmen Street. $10 cover!

4 Likes

I like how casually you mention the addition of habaneros! :fire::fire::fire:

1 Like

Forgot to post last night’s dinner. But it was a quiet day.

Patriots don’t get next week’s bye. :confused:
But I won the season of my football pool at work. :grin:

Dinner was proscuitto, spinach, and caramelized onion pizza. And wine.

13 Likes

True story about a Superbowl pool in my office… We had about 20 or so people partake and the winner was Samir, (was born in Belarus and emigrated here as an adult). On Monday morning when the person in charge of the “pool” told him he won …Samir replied that ; “I live in an apartment and have no backyard!!!”

10 Likes

Yes it is. We went back to breast and one of the four cutlets (hidden underneath of course) was affected. Really disheartening. We both work late now, therefore I shop late and do not have as much prep time as I would like. That’s why we rely on the thin-sliced breasts. I’m at a loss. The frequency now is astounding.

I find for stir-fry that two habaneros with most seeds scraped out adds just a twinge of heat. I didn’t feel like killing us last night or I would have left in seeds.

1 Like

Please do @mariacarmen ! We’re going Jan 6-11!

2 Likes

@ChristinaM - absolutely! I’ve got a whole list ready from my last two visits there!

actually, i’d better send you some of those now, you’ll be wanting to make plans/reservations maybe?

ETA: i just messaged you a list.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

welcome!

My Grocery Outlet had white asparagus from Peru. Had it with my Christmas dinner.

12 Likes

Slow roasting a dukkah-coated leg of lamb for dinner. Serving it with roasted potatoes, flat green beans with oil, white balsamic vinegar and dill, mixed salad and maybe Syrian lentils, based on a recipe online calling for cilantro and pomegranate molasses. Need to pick up some pomegranate molasses. It’s been about 15 years since I last purchased any pomegranate molasses.

8 Likes

Yup. Bought some of that too. Haven’t cooked it yet. Yours looks great.

I love all of this!

1 Like

I made pasta e fagioli (adding diced fennel) and green salad with leftover balsamic dressing. The kiddo helped and he had some of everything. And then cheese popcorn with a (strong female lead, vaguely educational) Dreamworks cartoon :crazy_face:.

11 Likes