What’s for Dinner #52 - the Continuous Feasts Edition- December 2019

This is without a doubt one of the best dishes I’ve ever made. Was looking for something with shrimp and chorizo and Sunny Anderson’s recipe for shrimp and chorizo in garlic sauce came up. I’m not a Food Network guy at all and have never been a fan of Sunny, but damn, this recipe was excellent with slight variations (not as much oil). The head of garlic I used had 16 cloves! The olive oil combined with the fat of the chorizo made this a must for good bread to sop it all up with.

The original intent of the recipe was for an appetizer, and while I can see that (it is reminiscent of an app I get at a Portuguese Restaurant), when served with rice this becomes a hearty, feel-good meal. A lot of oil is required for this to be a success, but I thought one and a half cups was too much, so I opted to add a little bit at a time and ended up using about half that amount, if even.

18 Likes

@emglow101 Instead of tossing the focaccia, could you re-purpose into a ribollita (bread soup)?

2 Likes

I just read the recipe and that sounds DELICIOUS. I need to find some fresh chorizo stat - I think it would be wonderful over riced cauliflower. I agree that the amount of oil she calls for seems excessive unless you really want to have a ton of oil for dipping bread (not a bad thing, just not how I would end up serving it).

1 Like

…or stick them in an oven and make croutons… or in a food processor and make breadcrumbs

1 Like

Sooooo Glad to hear you are doing so well…:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

2 Likes

Thank you @PHREDDY!

1 Like

Sounds great! I even have the sausage.

1 Like

This sounds great on so many levels…
I like food that has a ton of olive oil. If I have a great piece of bread, I just pour the olive oil over it and eat it as is - so with this combo and the flavors, the olive oil is even more flavorful… and
16 cloves of garlic? Most of my meals are made with about that much. I absolutely love garlic. I roast them halved whenever I make chicken and just unload an entire head of garlic onto a hunk of warm bread - best thing ever!.. and
Sopping up - any meal that you can sop up is a success in my book. Love sopping!

2 Likes

that looks fantastic!

1 Like

There was plenty of liquid using half the amount of oil. We demolished a rather large loaf of bread. But I kept the temperature low as to not brown or dry anything up.

Also, I did not add any extra salt. Between the adobo and chorizo, there was quite enough already.

1 Like

This meal really is about the bread and the oil. In a way, everything else is just there to flavor the oil.

2 Likes

Meat Loaf, Mashed Potatoes & Mushroom Gravy for dinner tonight.

Used Chef John’s Mushroom Gravy Recipe:

13 Likes

:yum: so true

Bookmarked - just for the mushroom gravy which I intend on eating on a ciabatta roll without the meatloaf or mashed potatoes this weekend

1 Like

Green bean and chicken tempura
photo%201-2
and double fried French fries
photo%202-1

10 Likes

Had a thoroughly lackluster company holiday lunch today, so needed something delicious for dinner. Rare ribeyes cooked on cast iron in rendered beef fat, roasted broccoli doused with warm rosemary-garlic oil and a squeeze of lemon.

11 Likes

Managed to save the quesabirra with an abundance of gooey melty queso! Fried the tortillas and topped them with Oaxacan cheese (basically mozz), then the birria/sauce, and more cheese. I thinned out the sauce a little with water, which helped some with the strong clove flavor. Lots of cilantro and onion helped too. Despite the perfume-iness, these were excellent - juicy, crispy, gooey. Freezing the leftover birria for another time.

20 Likes

Red beans and (no) rice. Is that even a thing?

14 Likes

Buying dehydrated shiitake mushroom in small quantity is really expensive. It is quintessential in chinese recipe esp for ma po tofu, stir fry dish, dumpling and of course congee among other things. Their rich, smoky and earthy flavor adds depth to any dish . This is how I buy them- 5.5 lbs. on sale for $58.99. I already stored some in the pantry in the basement, in a 4 lb empty butter cookies tin

and here are 4 more containers. . Too bad, difficult to cook with these when son is around as he really dislike mushroom, pick them out and place them in my plate!

11 Likes

Your mushrooms look fantastic. For those of us who adore mushrooms, it’s difficult to imagine someone not liking them. I’m with you—I’ll take unwanted mushrooms any time!

3 Likes