What’s for Dinner #52 - the Continuous Feasts Edition- December 2019

Too bad I don’t have any tater tots. :wink: Some nights, I’m really tired. This is one of them.

4 Likes

I made my friend’s chicken chili. It was alright - definitely fits the “quick and easy” bill.

Omitted cream cheese and subbed frozen corn and chicken broth for the canned corn.

8 Likes

I decided to try using a rump roast in a rendang-inspired pot roast type thing tonight tonight (looked at half a dozen rendang recipes, as well as some Burmese beef curry recipes). Added chopped ginger, garlic, dried lemongrass, turmeric, fish sauce, pepper, chile, cinnamon, water. Braised it at 280 for 3 h. Removed the meat to let it rest, skimmed off the fat, reduced some of the liquid, added a bit of coconut milk, added the meat back to the liquid before serving. Served it with rice noodles, and frozen veg dressed up w coconut milk and red curry paste. Would make it again.

11 Likes

Baby, it’s cold outside -> tri-tip grilled in the fireplace.

20 Likes

Bravo . loved cooking meats in a fireplace . I always burned oak wood . From caveman steak to duck on a string.

2 Likes

That sounds very delicious. I recognize your username from Chowhound - nice to see you here.

4 Likes

Absolutely. Unless we have access to peach. Ethereal aroma. Only when someone is tearing out an old orchard, which is in itself a sad event.

4 Likes

@ChristinaM thanks :slightly_smiling_face:
Thought I’d move over here to try it out :wink:

5 Likes

Being a grown-up is overrated…

2 Likes

Mussels cooked with Zam Zam bloody mary mix , onion , and o.o . Rice . This was a good one . Cheers

15 Likes

Rendang has been on my mind… this sounds delicious!

(And welcome, @Phoenikia!)

2 Likes

Holiday shopping and errands got away from me.

Picked up a jar of Rao’s bolognese and that with capellini was WFD. I love Rao’s sauces, but this needed a bit of doctoring for my taste.

Probably the first time I’ve used the calabrian chile sauce appropriately :joy:

Oh the surprise hit was frozen broccoli, steamed for 2 mins in the microwave, and tossed with butter and harissa. So good!

11 Likes

Blood Mary mix…got to give it a try… I imagine a shrimp, green pepper, yellow onion combination would work too…

On a different note, “in with the new out with the old”…jettisoned the old house which is in Palm Beach County, Florida and purchased a new one about 6 miles away coupled with both Mrs. PH and I both celebrated our birthdays this past week, with a couple of nights in Savanah Ga. has made for a wonderful December thus far. The new kitchen, (pictures to follow) is roughly double in size as the old… Haven’t done any cooking yet in the new digs, and have not much to post, but playing house with Mrs. PH and having fun has been WFD…

10 Likes

Ttrockwood?..Haven’t seen them round these parts…just hope they are busy.

2 Likes

Belated happy birthday to you & Mrs. PH and congratulations on your new home :birthday::champagne:

3 Likes

I love cooking rendang style. Do the same with coconut,I use the thin part of the can of coconut during the. braising stage and add the thicker part , towards the end. Remind me I should cook soiniu using chicken.

3 Likes

Happy Birthday @PHREDDY - (I always wanted to visit Savannah) - and congrats on your new house. It is good for the soul to move, make a change, get one’s juices flowing. I hope you enjoy it and I can’t wait for the pictures

3 Likes

Happy belated birthdays to you and Mrs. P.
What a fantastic BD gift to both of you
Enjoy your new home and kitchen
Must have a lot of projects for Mrs. P and you to redecorate your home
Is the house new ?
I had to remodel my kitchen in 2007 , using the original Poggenpohl cabinets(. nothing wrong with them, very basic but functional ) and had to purchase a new subzero refrigerator , the old one lasted me 31 years ,was still running except that it need a new compressor for the refrigerator section as the compressor for freezer was still working. Decided to retire it and was quite happy with the newer style . Now worried that the built in microwave which is going on 20 years may conk out any time but cannot find one that fits the space. I had to replace the Miele dishwasher thanksgiving 2018. Miehle suggested I buy another brand bec they do not service my area. Cannot find anyone to come over. So, bought a Bosch as they have service contractor nearby. I guess you wil not have to worry bec that may not be a rural setting for you.

Welcome!

1 Like

You got me in the mood for chili. I already took out the chopped beef before I left for work.

1 Like