What’s for Dinner #52 - the Continuous Feasts Edition- December 2019

Wanted to report back @Rooster on the kaffir lime and vanilla ice cream.

Flavor wise a big success! I put about 15-20 kaffir leaves in about 2 cups of heavy cream, along with some white and turbinado sugars. I accidentally boiled it over onto a newly cleaned stove - arghh! I then let it steep for a few hours at room temperature, and then refrigerated for a few days. I got a good extraction from the lime, and the turbinado sugar added a bit of complexity to the flavor. It tasted so intriguing, I hesitated to put the vanilla bean paste in there. I went with about a teaspoon, and wise surprised with the synergy they had together! The tropical notes of both played off each other nicely, and the vanilla, IMO intensified the lime flavor. I than added a cup or so of half n half. Next time I might add some chopped, toasted macadamia nuts, don’t think it would be amiss. I’ll try it with coconut milk as well.

As for mouth feel, it was bad. I think the boil over caused some curdling, which wasn’t apparent before freezing. It was also too creamy, so next time I would probably only use 1 cup of heavy cream to 3 cups of half n half.

Will let you know of further experiments with the flavor and texture. (Probably more than you really wanted to know about it!)

5 Likes

Thank you, @Saregama

Thanks , @HungryAllTheTime

1 Like

@ccj what a good idea, re:coconut milk.
I noticed bigger tetrapaks of coconut milk at the store. Has anyone used those? Wondering how quickly I would need to use up an opened package. Unlike boxed broth and other boxed foods that end up refrigerated, there wasn’t a recommendation for using the coconut milk within 5 days or 9 days.

Consider yourself welcomed by me @Phoenikia, since we’ve bonded over Greek food - nice to have a new voice here!

2 Likes

Yes, you’ve certainly made me feel welcome, @Lambchop

We’ve never attempted to cook something on a string. Where did you attach it? And/or any other instructions?

Hi @ccj. I think the belated birthday wishes and congratulations need to go to @PHREDDY :slightly_smiling_face: I was wishing him & his wife a belated happy birthday and congrats on their new home.

1 Like

How exciting, wonderful experimentation. I’m intrigued! I felt like I was standing in your kitchen learning along with you. Minor mishaps, I have them too😉, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I know your post was a response to rooster, but if I may butt in… I felt you provided a wonderful depiction of your cooking experience. Like reading a short story.

I want to know - the more detail the better.

1 Like

Yes, keep going pls.

A couple of years ago we had to replace our dishwasher. We went to a discount shop in Germany. They told us that we could buy a Miele if we wanted, but that we could get a Bosch for a lot less money. They also told us that both the Miele and the Bosch were made in the same factory. We took the Bosch.

1 Like

They were two duck breasts that I tied together using a basic half hitch knot. Or butchers knot . Inspired by Jean - Louis Palladin while watching julia child great chefs . Leave some extra string after tying . Then attach in front of the fireplace . You then twist the duck on a string and it will slowly unwind turning in front of the fire

3 Likes

Thanks I thought I had missed. your birthday and that Mrs. P had 2 birthdays bec I remember her having an earlier celebration if I am not mistaken

Congratulations to you and Mrs. P in a wonderful birthday and gift, that of a new home.

1 Like

Happy birthday!

Do you snowbird or have you moved entirely?

1 Like

@bcc
Thanks for the info.
My husband (rip) had told me that because we have well water, there is a lot of mineral accumulations as well as scale buildup in my appliance. He had with instructions from Miele solved the problem a few years back as it was out of warranty and without contractors locally unless they get paid $500 just for coming over. Dishwasher was still working but not happy with the result, so after 39 years ,last Thanksgiving, got the Bosch per Miele’s advise. Problem with that is that the high end Bosch ( so I am told by contractor ) has too much functions which creates problems. I wash all my dishes before loading them. In fact, they are clean enough to use. However, my son does not like to use them and washing them again sort of sanitize them, so I use the express cycle. Initially, the express cycle had problem when purchased as the FINISH soap I was advised to use would leave residual soap on the dishes. I was advised to rinse it again ( 10 minutes after). I refused to do that. It is cumbersome for me. Then, they reprogrammed the unit so the The express cycle became 40 minutes which did the trick. I am happy with that decision as it would cost another 1000 if not more for the top Miele brand.

We were told not to wash or rinse the dishes excessively before putting them in. And we use the slow, 2 and 1/2 hour cycle. It does a good job.

Sare…“Snowbirding”…we have kinds in NYC area and in Florida…I still have my mom near by.
Actually going back to NYC is for us a real treat of course to see the kids, ,but from a culinary standpoint, a butcher, fish stores, bakeries and of course the ethnic markets of every variety, and as a result our meals change as you can imagine.
We now split our time seasonally, but ultimately I guess we will sell the place in NY and stay with the kids a day or two and then a nice hotel for a couple of days. This is in light of ongoing business obligations (in NYC) for at least the next 7 or 8 years…The traveling keeps us fresh and Mrs. PH busy with making plans…

nobody told me that
I use the 40 express cycle before I go to bed when the dishwasher is fully loaded . Dishes comes out really clean as it is already clean anyway, However, I was advised initially by Bosch to use FINISH tablet, and when I need to add jet liquid and hard water conditioner when the program tells me to do so. When my dishes had some residual soap left after using 30 minute express cycle , Bosch initially advised me to switch back to half dose of liquid detergent or when washing is completed with FINISH tablet, to give an extra 10 minute rinse which I refused ( I just took all my liquid dishwashing detergent to the recycle center ( buy a few bottles when Costco is on sale) , So, they reprogrammed express cycle to 40 minutes. I am aware I have hard water but apparently not that bad because I have to use a filter as well as water softener on my Gaggia Academia. It took almost 12 month before I had to change filter or descale. So, perhaps my well water is not as hard!