What’s for Dinner #52 - the Continuous Feasts Edition- December 2019

I think I have to add WAY more of the additional ingredients than many recipes call for: Salt, pepper, herbs, saffron, paprika, curry, cayenne pepper, etc. Whatever blend of herbs and spices I like.

1 Like

:partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

1 Like

Spaetzle with beef bacon, gruyere, sauteed red onion, thyme and pepper, with peas, green beans and a mixed salad tonight.

11 Likes

I do not roast chicken breast , only use it like my recipe above or when I poach it for chicken salad etc.
I like using chicken breast using Kenji Lopez Serious Eat’s pounded chicken breast fillet marinaded in buttermilk then pan fried after dipping it in flour, eggs and panko mixed with parmesan ( 40%-60%) then add mozzarella cheese and parmesan, into oven till
cheese melt and then add home made tomato sauce.
But here are two recipes if you want to roast it after marinading with buttermilk that might work

7 Likes

I’m making spaetzle for Christmas . I haven’t made it in ages . Any tips or recipe used . Going to push the batter through a colander into hot water.

4 Likes

We loved Bistro D’Azur so much that we went back a week later for another outstanding dinner. Details and mouth watering pictures are in the below link for those that are interested.

2 Likes

You should know by now that I’m not much of a recipe cook. For 2 HUGE servings, I put a cup of flour in a bowl, salt and pepper it well, add an egg and enough water to make a thick pancake-like batter. Then you and I diverge. I am totally hooked on this apparatus. You just spoon the batter into the carrier and thrust it back and forth over the pot of boiling water, In seconds your entire batch is in the pot, cooked and floating, ready to be scooped out/drained.

Spaetzle are my dinner party secret weapon and family comfort food.

6 Likes

I use the imported bagged spaetzle mostly. The recipe on my spaetzle grater worked well. It’s fairly basic. Flour, eggs, salt. I guess don’t overmix the batter so they aren’t dense or tough.

Recipes are just a guide. You should see my focaccia from a recipe tonight. Under cooked dough with a hard crust. You know where that’s going . Lol

2 Likes

This is how we got hooked on spaetzle. But the bagged, dried ones took so long to cook, like 20 minutes. I can literally leave a dinner party table, stir the ingredients together and have spaetzle on the table in under or around 5 minutes.

1 Like

Two dinners fails tonight. Made birria de res for tomorrow’s dinner, wanted to try making quesabirria, those amazing tacos that are all the talk in the Bay Area right now. But I cut the recipe by about 3/4 and then overdid it on seasoning, and it’s way too clove-y. I’ll shred the meat tomorrow and we’ll have it for tacos, but I don’t want to use the broth.

And tonight’s dinner - sort of a carbonara. It tasted quite good, but it was too dry. I added panko bread crumbs fried in the bacon fat, and also those TJs fried onions I can’t get enough of. I actually did use the pasta water, but it all got sucked up. The BF can doctor it up when he eats the leftovers as his late night snack.

MEH. Just one of those nights.

carbonaraish

9 Likes

Exactly. My focaccia is hitting the road . Later bread . Under cooked dough. With a tough crust. Complete disaster. Was imagining it was going to be like Liguria Bakery.

2 Likes

Easy dinner of soup (cashew, carrot, ginger) from a box, with toast smeared with pesto and fresh mozzarella. Had all the family at my house yesterday and made 5 batches of Xmas toffee. My stirring arm is too sore today to do any more cooking. :face_with_head_bandage:

10 Likes

:cry::sob:

I love spaetzle, only bought them fresh, never tried to make that. @pilgrim Thanks for the recipe. I would like to try, too bad h isn’t very hot with it, his loss!

Don’t particularly want to buy the “dumpling maker”, too many stuff in house…wonder if I have anything that has perforated holes, maybe the box grater…the holes are a bit small… LOL, I wonder if I can use a piping bag?

Been there

I have made spätzle using the box grater - it works very well. I also have a half-moon shaped grease strainer (the kind you place against the side of a skillet) with largeish holes that works nicely.

1 Like

I keep thinking I must have something compatible! :bulb:

I realised there is a stainless steel sink drainer that I rarely use, the holes are of the right size!! The thing is quite big, I can even put on the pot!

2 Likes

This is without a doubt one of the best dishes I’ve ever made. Was looking for something with shrimp and chorizo and Sunny Anderson’s recipe for shrimp and chorizo in garlic sauce came up. I’m not a Food Network guy at all and have never been a fan of Sunny, but damn, this recipe was excellent with slight variations (not as much oil). The head of garlic I used had 16 cloves! The olive oil combined with the fat of the chorizo made this a must for good bread to sop it all up with.

The original intent of the recipe was for an appetizer, and while I can see that (it is reminiscent of an app I get at a Portuguese Restaurant), when served with rice this becomes a hearty, feel-good meal. A lot of oil is required for this to be a success, but I thought one and a half cups was too much, so I opted to add a little bit at a time and ended up using about half that amount, if even.

18 Likes

@emglow101 Instead of tossing the focaccia, could you re-purpose into a ribollita (bread soup)?

2 Likes