What’s for Dinner #52 - the Continuous Feasts Edition- December 2019

Very true.

Of course, that is one of the classic ways to make spaetzle, I heartily recommend one of these,
Absolutely foolproof, simple to wash. I have owned literally dozens. Dinner guests gush over the spaetzle and I give them one to take home. (I pick them up new at garage sales from people who “don’t get it”.)

Spaetzle are my “go to” for any kind of braised meet juice like short ribs or oxtail, as well as an instant meal in broth.

We look forward to your presentation. Happy holiday!

3 Likes

And it was LindaWhit who made me revisit this dish. I used Sarah Leah Chase’ supposed family recipe. Would love to read others. Should we have a Hungarian chicken thread for all us pseudo-Hungarians out there?

3 Likes

Wow - I haven’t seen spaetzle in such a long time. My German grandmother used to make this a lot with Schnitzel when I was growing up and would visit her in NYC during the summers. Such comfort food for me. I still make the Schnitzel a lot but with rice or fries. Wow - this site really gets me excited about certain foods sometimes. I think I’ll make this over the weekend. Thanks for the post, pilgrim!

2 Likes

I can’t do the green anymore - they react very badly with my digestive system. And no one wants to be around that when it happens. LOL

4 Likes

See here:

1 Like

Looks so good

1 Like

That’s awesome!

How grown-up?
Crockpot Beanie Weenies
With cornbread on the side.
Lol

5 Likes

To me, “grownup” means that said dinner does not consist entirely of opening a bag of tortilla chips with perhaps a jar of salsa to go with. My bar is not that high. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Too bad I don’t have any tater tots. :wink: Some nights, I’m really tired. This is one of them.

4 Likes

I made my friend’s chicken chili. It was alright - definitely fits the “quick and easy” bill.

Omitted cream cheese and subbed frozen corn and chicken broth for the canned corn.

8 Likes

I decided to try using a rump roast in a rendang-inspired pot roast type thing tonight tonight (looked at half a dozen rendang recipes, as well as some Burmese beef curry recipes). Added chopped ginger, garlic, dried lemongrass, turmeric, fish sauce, pepper, chile, cinnamon, water. Braised it at 280 for 3 h. Removed the meat to let it rest, skimmed off the fat, reduced some of the liquid, added a bit of coconut milk, added the meat back to the liquid before serving. Served it with rice noodles, and frozen veg dressed up w coconut milk and red curry paste. Would make it again.

11 Likes

Baby, it’s cold outside -> tri-tip grilled in the fireplace.

20 Likes

Bravo . loved cooking meats in a fireplace . I always burned oak wood . From caveman steak to duck on a string.

2 Likes

That sounds very delicious. I recognize your username from Chowhound - nice to see you here.

4 Likes

Absolutely. Unless we have access to peach. Ethereal aroma. Only when someone is tearing out an old orchard, which is in itself a sad event.

4 Likes

@ChristinaM thanks :slightly_smiling_face:
Thought I’d move over here to try it out :wink:

5 Likes

Being a grown-up is overrated…

2 Likes

Mussels cooked with Zam Zam bloody mary mix , onion , and o.o . Rice . This was a good one . Cheers

15 Likes