What’s For Dinner #42 - 2/2019 - the Hearts & Flowers & Brrrr-Chilly Winter Edition

Love the colour of those eggs! (So beautiful that British spelling is required.). Eggs like those cost a fortune here in Baltimore and still sell out fast at the farmers market.

2 Likes

Day at Mom’s started out meh, as she wasn’t doing well, but she chose to have lunch in her room and perked up a good bit before I left.

Various errands, and going to Market Basket the afternoon before the Super Bowl. Oy. But I survived.

I should have done some invoicing for work when I got home, but just didn’t have it in me, so I sat and read.

Dinner was a recipe from the past: Chicken and Asparagus in Mustard-Tarragon Sauce. A beige meal, and maybe I should have left it in the past. It was fair, and filling. Just not what I was remembering.

And I’ve decided I can’t cook jasmine rice without it becoming gluey. So I’ll stick with basmati.

The wine was good.

10 Likes

I just realized your team is in the Super Bowl - have fun watching!

1 Like

Oh my Lord, in Baltimore we’d be out of our minds if our team was in the Super Bowl. But in New England they are so relaxed, “I just hope it’s a good game!” What?!

I guess when your team has played in 9 Super Bowls over 5 years, it’s just another Sunday in February.

2 Likes

You can take that old skylight out . Use the rough opening for your closest fit and put in two Velux sky lights. A contractor will do that . Get rid of that 8’4" skylight . I think you’ll like it .

1 Like

Glad mom was on the upswing by the end of your visit.
Do you wash your rice before cooking? I feel like all the asian food youtube cooks i watch wash their rice before cooking. (I gave up on most rice cooking myself long ago since chinese place a block away i can get some for $1-2 perfectly done)

4 Likes

Lots of random snacking this afternoon, kimchi, bell pepper and cucumber with everything seasoning, some smoked tofu, an orange…
Random ramen craving, found some in the cupboard and glad i relooked at ingredients, it wasn’t vegetarian! Sighh. The noodles themselves were, so i just tossed out the seasoning packet and used some better than bullion to flavor the broth. Added a chopped scallion to the top to make it fancy!

Got distracted while picking up my cocoa and ended up with bunny snacks for dessert too!

I was skeptical of the gluten free situation but they’re really tasty, maybe more crunchy than they would be otherwise?
Hot chocolate with some almond milk is happening now

12 Likes

Chicken parm and broccolini for dinner. Not bad but I should have pounded the chicken more. Probably should have used some thighs instead of breasts as well.

14 Likes

rib eye rubbed with a mix of my new Red Boat fish sauce salt & sea salt (suggested by Andrea Nguyen) sat in the fridge for about 8 hours, but it really didn’t permeate all that much. Not as much umami as I wanted. boiled potatoes were tossed in olive oil, granulated garlic, salt, smoked paprika, roasted, then broiled.

cabbage slaw with little rainbow carrot coins, cilantro, scallions and shallots, and doctored up TJ’s ginger carrot dressing, which i find a little thin in flavor. turned out great!

and still about food: My sister gave one of our dogs, Lolita, a spring roll we didn’t like/eat. Clearly, she didn’t know what to do with it, but she wasn’t going to let anyone else get any of it either

21 Likes

I’ve decide to re-institute half day Friday, so I met my sister for a drink and light lunch to kick off the weekend. Two glasses of prosecco, six Kumamoto oysters, and six jumbo white shrimp.

Friday night dinner was baked pasta with spicy Italian sausage, butternut squash, chard, diced tomatoes, mozzarella, and parm. This was all done to use up the butternut squash from this weeks farm box, and to hide it enough that DH would eat it. :grin:

Tonight we had tacos with green chili pork, cheddar, guac sauce, tomatoes, cabbage, and pickled jalapeño.

18 Likes

Rainy day . A good day for my take on cabbage soup with leftover roast chicken. Secret ingredient: The heel of speck , and roasted chicken skin torn into small pieces . Hot paprika , potato, and vegetable base . Wine to drink. :wine_glass:Cheers .

16 Likes

OK, I’m really not convinced about this Nigel Slater dinner. Carrot houmous and roast cauliflower (from his Christmas Chronicles book).

Cauli is simply roasted in olive oil. Separately, carrots & onions are roasted for about 45 minutes then a tin of chickpeas is added and everything is blitzed in the processor, with more olive oil until it’s the consistency of, erm, houmous. That goes on a serving plate, topped with the cauli and a sprinkling of chopped mint, green olives and pomegranate seeds. That’s in theory but, in practice, I couldnt find any poms, so it’ll get a drizzle of pom molasses instead (which I reckon will actually be an improvement).

For a carb, some of Mrs H’s manoush za’atar bread is defrosting. It’s flattish, rather than flatbread, at about 7mm thick , with a heavy sprinkling of the herb mix.

By the by, Christmas Chronicles has become my favourite Xmas cookbook. Not just for the recipes but also Slater’s little stories about his festive preparations. He writes that he ate this meal on 19 December, the anniversary of his mother’s death. “I can only imagine what Mum would have thought of anyone roasting a cauliflower”.

11 Likes

Most of our meals, we are eating mainly at the island in the kitchen. The dining table is rarely used, only for really special occasions or for guest meals. Our dinner are mostly 2-courses, plus fruits. I admit it is pretty convenient and quick to serve just next to the cooking hobs. The dining table becomes our cat’s observation post as it is next to the windows.

I like the fact that you keep the rituals and keep making it special every Saturday. Your post keep me thinking, I should do more formal meals in the dining room even for us 2.

5 Likes

Do you pound most meat you cooked? Or just this recipe?

I rarely did, I don’t even own the tool to do it. I know that it can be done with a pan…but still.

Want that soup, perfect for the weather today here.

Dinner yesterday was a Banh Chung, a sticky rice cake I got from the Asian store. I didn’t know what it was, never saw it, but I saw everybody grabbed a few, I got a smaller one to try.

Similar to Chinese zongzi, it is made of sticky rice, mung beans and pork and is essential for the lunar new year celebration. I read that it was very labour intensive to make and more information by Andrea Nguyen if you are interested.

A side vegetable dish with Gai Lan.

Since a few days, a few Korean meals and a few others included in the Korean cuisine COTQ thread.
Broiled pork ribs.

17 Likes

Kroger is selling boneless Rib Eye steaks in a Family Pak for $6.99 per pound. We bought ours yesterday, and I broiled them in the oven and served with Yukon Gold potatoes. I went spare on seasoning–only cracked black pepper and table salt. Quite tasty.

The pups got a bit of the marbling in their dinner bowls. I think they liked that.

7 Likes

That all looks so yummy. Did you enjoy the rice cake?

Actually, it was quite good, the taste was subtle with the combination with the pork and the bean with the sticky rice. Maybe you can find one too in store near you.

I read one suggestion was to eat adding sugar on it, which seems weird, I will try with the leftover.

I will look for one!

1 Like