What’s For Dinner #42 - 2/2019 - the Hearts & Flowers & Brrrr-Chilly Winter Edition

Every thing looks spectacular as usual. But hummus without cumin…

With Judeo Syrian grandparents the thought is foreign but it looks amazing

1 Like

I riffed on a Diana Kennedy recipe - I think she said Mexico.

And i love cumin! maybe I used too much for the amount of garbanzos i had (had to fudge all the amounts since i had less than 3/4 cup of garbanzos.)

Leftover jarred soffrito, tomato paste and marinara sauce, wilting potatoes…yup!

Solo dinner tonight. Quick chicken piccata style dish served with a few cherry tomatoes and sauteed spinach. A glass of wine and a book on audible to keep me company.

8 Likes

from the depths of the freezer came posole i made a couple weeks ago (ok, so not really the “depths.”) made mexi-rice, plopped the posole on top, topped that with fried tortilla strips, cilantro, radishes, scallions, and dried oregano.

13 Likes

Looks fab

2 Likes

gracias!

Finished my freelance thing yesterday, we worked all afternoon into the evening but it came together well and news today was the presentation was a great success.
Had stopped at the nearby market last night and impulse buy got an asian salad kit thing on sale. And now i remember why I don’t buy those. It was fine but the dressing is a little weird and the topping packet was a ton of black sesame seeds

I added some scallion, half a green apple and had a few handfuls of the crunchy black edamame.

Finally cooked a legit meal today, I’m still very into cabbage! Started with braised cabbage with onions and garlic, added in some carrots, white beans, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, cider vinegar, lots of fennel seed and black pepper. Some of the squash i have left added towards the end.
Work in progress

Topped my bowl with the last of the scallions and cilantro

Also picked up some Ibarra to mix up my hot chocolate situation. I’ll make it with vanilla ripple milk

12 Likes

I think the problem some people have with cumin in hummus is that they put too much in, overwhelming the hummus instead of perking it up. I know. I did it once.

3 Likes

Have to say, I am not a tidy cook. But I am a long serving one. Not long after we got married (1972), Mrs H’s employer underwent a major reorganisation. It meant that, for several months, she spent the week at their office in the south of England (while some of the southerners worked in the north). Meant I had to either live on takeaways Monday to Thursday, or learn to cook. And, of course, arriving back Friday evening, she didnt expect to have to cook then - although she was always glad to have something simple after several days of hotel food.

I hate to stereotype. Particularly I hate to stereotype myself. And it’s a stereotype that men are not as good as women in multitasking - in the kitchen or elsewhere. And, like most stereotypes , there’s a basis of truth in that. After nearly 50 years of cooking, I know my limitations as to what I can cook well. And, more to the point, what I cannot do well. I cannot cook steaks. I cannot cook the multi elements of a “proper” roast dinner (in spite of Mrs H regularly telling me it’s easy), getting everything ready at the right time. Similarly, I cannot manage the multi elements of a full cooked English breakfast - bacon, sausage, black pudding, eggs, fried bread, mushrooms, tomato. So, whenever you might read one of my occasional WFD posts, look out for how simple it seems to prepare - the more complex, the less involvement I’m going to have had in the actual cooking (but I am a very good peeler, chopper and table setter).

15 Likes

Two were “about” an inch and a quarter, third was 1" . Lotta meat there.

1 Like

Talking about stereotype and men in kitchen.

Actually, the first 2 years of our relationship, we did the shopping together Mr. N cooked, I was the dishwasher. He called his mother’s up to ask for recipes, his cooking wasn’t bad, but was quite repetitive. After I got interested in food and started exploring and well, things go back to stereotype. Now he is the shopper and dishwasher. Last year, he got interested in making pizza, by making his own dough.

As for the cooking style, he is much more tidy than me, but uses much more utensils for the preparation, like you see on a TV cooking show, each ingredients in a different container. He cooked only more simple 1 course meal… he likes to cook something in repetition to get perfect. While I’m the opposite, I like to try new things, and hands on many things and expert in none. I don’t know if it’s a male/female difference, but for me, it’s more character difference.

5 Likes

I don’t know either. But, in this house, I’m the one that tends to suggest new things for dinner. Well, at least, I do that more often than Mrs H.

I see in my own parents, my dad is the one who like to try new things, probably I inherited this from him, mom likes to stick on to the same stuff.

Focusing in on your strengths is not a weakness!

1 Like

Not the most flattering of pictures but a fairly quick meal and tasty. I had intended to brine these chicken breasts but totally forgot and needed to whip something together fast. Baked chicken breasts with a balsamic glaze, brussels sprouts and sweet potato fries. The toddler asked for 2nds so this is 100000% going into the rotation.

11 Likes

I would have, too! Looks great

1 Like

This was the same for me.

My mother became a good cook but it wasn’t through personal interest. It was to please my father. Since she was a stay at home mom and he worked long hours as the owner of a small business the cooking was her responsibility. She was quite content to eat frozen fish sticks all week when my father was out of town!

4 Likes

Day 6 of almost constant rain. I came out of the grocery last night just in time to enjoy a little variety - freezing rain. :persevere: Provisions replenished so dinner will happen!

Roast chicken, roasted little potatoes, onion, garlic and parsnips. Steamed broccoli. The grocery had a new to me little packet (think fast food ketchup style) of Hollandaise sauce for $1.49 that I decided to try. So that will top the broccoli.

Left over chicken to reappear as chicken pot pie for dinner, chicken salad for lunch. Carcass for stock since matzoh ball soup has been calling my name!

In the meantime I leave you with this burning question:

9 Likes