What’s For Dinner #42 - 2/2019 - the Hearts & Flowers & Brrrr-Chilly Winter Edition

That looks so yummy

@bcc, you are my superhero for not owning a microwave. I tried it 2 years ago when ours broke down. My family still laughs about how fast I ran to the store after one week of trying. Usually I will read about different models for a month, then try and get one made in Japan, then give up, then see if maybe we should just get a commercial variety or one that doubles as a convection oven, and finally just buy the first one I had looked up. (Although, I survived a month without a microwave in China last summer, steaming to reheat instead. )

@ChristinaM, thanks for introducing me to maqluba. Now I will see if I can “trade” biryani for maqluba with an aquaintance around here. I swapped a Japanese cheesecake for Mulukhiya last week. I never had jute leaves before. It’s not much to look at otherwise I would’ve posted it. But it tastes good. (And rice in this particular Egyptian household always has bits of vermicelli noodles. Not sure if that is common.)

1 Like

Wow, what a thing to be known for! Our kitchen is quite small, and we really have no room for a microwave. We have a convection oven that holds the temperatured quite precisely, so I use the oven for reheating things. Usually about 20 minutes at 85°C.

Some leftover lamb shoulder is defrosting. It’ll get tossed in olive oil, dusted with sharwama spices and fried till a bit crispy. Halloumi will also get the frying pan treatment and then get a scattering of parsley and red chilli. There’s supermarket houmous and there’ll be a yogurt, garlic and mint dip. I’ve lots of parsley, so there’ll be a tabbouleh as well. And a fattoush. And pitta.

6 Likes

This is nearly exactly how my mom makes her latkes but she adds a grated onion too. The microwaving is an interesting step. She doesn’t do that but I could see it helping to par-cook the potatoes a little bit.

I chuckled at this. My husband will sometimes ‘make a meal’, but I’m finding him all the dishes, spoons, cleaning up behind him, making sides and entertaining the baby while he focuses on the protein haha.

4 Likes

That is the hummus of my dreams. It looks so smooth and luscious. I suddenly need to make this ASAP.

1 Like

I’m trying to actually use the things that I have stashed in the freezer so that when I actually get around to cleaning it out, I won’t end up throwing most of it away. I came across a couple of butterbean burgers and a superiority burger and served those up with some french fries which were mostly yukon gold, but had an aging russet thrown in for good measure. Easy and tasty enough meal.

14 Likes

Pretty much. I’m kind of cursing this dinner in an instant book because the recipes are too involved for a weeknight.

1 Like

Same here, and worse, a few days ago, need to teach him how to use the microwave to defreeze bread…and we have this microwave for 9 years already!

2 Likes

mine is trying to get more into planning and making meals, which I am supportive of. So I am trying not to mind the mess…

5 Likes

36 degrees, not windy nor raining . 100% rain tomorrow
So, went out to work as I can see chickweed all over the lawn
Have to pull them manually , was not ready to spread premergent as I thought it is a bit early but the rain brought them about.
Dressed poms up in their Christmas suit , spread a comforter on lawn and started to pull chickweeds
rice cooked ( delayed timer) , chicken marinading in fridge for 24. hours ( soy sauce, gochujang, cider vinegar, broad bean, sesame oil) vegetables prepared before working outdoor.
Quick stir fry using onions, garlic and ginger before adding chicken .
There is more vegetable than chicken as I used

up the other chicken breast for my curry
I did not add any hot sauce as I shared the chicken breast with the babies but when ready to eat, I add chili crisp to my plate.
Have enough for 3 meals

13 Likes

I can hardly wait to get my hands on this at our local Asian market.

It’s funny that we do the same for our babies and fur babies.

1 Like

Albondigas soup making use of odds and ends in the pantry and fridge/freezer. We all loved it.

12 Likes

This looked so good…really odds and ends?!

Nice big filet…how thick were they?

That being said, the soup is a very “latino” recipe…either Dominican, Mexican, Columbian, etc…from where did this soup hail?

It’s one of those things sometimes I just wish I didn’t know… I know a few of the hole in the wall chinese places I grew up on would probably not pass these days, but I lived?

1 Like

Soft-scrambled eggs with a sautéed onion and serrano, and toast with “emergency” freezer stash of bread.

8 Likes