What’s For Dinner #42 - 2/2019 - the Hearts & Flowers & Brrrr-Chilly Winter Edition

This was the same for me.

My mother became a good cook but it wasn’t through personal interest. It was to please my father. Since she was a stay at home mom and he worked long hours as the owner of a small business the cooking was her responsibility. She was quite content to eat frozen fish sticks all week when my father was out of town!

4 Likes

Day 6 of almost constant rain. I came out of the grocery last night just in time to enjoy a little variety - freezing rain. :persevere: Provisions replenished so dinner will happen!

Roast chicken, roasted little potatoes, onion, garlic and parsnips. Steamed broccoli. The grocery had a new to me little packet (think fast food ketchup style) of Hollandaise sauce for $1.49 that I decided to try. So that will top the broccoli.

Left over chicken to reappear as chicken pot pie for dinner, chicken salad for lunch. Carcass for stock since matzoh ball soup has been calling my name!

In the meantime I leave you with this burning question:

9 Likes

Haha

I think a monsoon might be a better descriptor, but you need a few months of rain to qualify for that, even :slight_smile:

Nope, not a Gumbo. And not a Chili. I pulled down a recipe from Chef John of Foodwishes.com for a Pea Soup with Ham. Followed the recipe exactly. It didn’t turn green. But it turned out tasty. I liked it alot. The wife, not so much. Leftovers for tomorrow…

10 Likes

Grilled pork chops dusted with fennel-rosemary-chili salt, clementine-glazed carrots topped with DH’s homemade ricotta and toasted walnuts, and grilled asparagus. Good eats.

13 Likes

Capellini cacio e pepe.

Loaded up on antihistamines at the moment, and trying to be mindful (for a couple of days) of eating low-histamine which is mostly vegetarian, non-fermented, and not leftover…

I think I had an allergic reaction to something because I ended up with a red patch on my cheek and a puffy bit on my eyelid. Ugh. Really hoping it’s not alcohol even though I suspect it is… it’s nice to have a glass of wine or a cocktail now and then.

16 Likes

Oh ugh, that sounds kind of miserable… hope the drugs kick in and help ASAP!

1 Like

Snowing a bit on and off today, just enough to make a mess and spark comfort food cravings.
Random craving for a bowl of rice, topped with a PSTO(V)B a little soy sauce and some trader joe seasoning mix.
Big mug of the same cabbage veggie stew thing from last night on the side as well as kombucha.

Will certainly repeat the Ibarra hot chocolate, i forgot how much i love that stuff!

PS
@Saregama i tried the chocolate water mousse!! Made it this afternoon and was planning to chill for later tonight- but… apparently my immersion blender or the container wasn’t washed well enough because it tasted like chocolate soap!!! Epic Fail. Will certainly try again…

8 Likes

Yikes! Hope you recover quickly…and hope it isn’t alcohol. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Oh NO! I still recall a mushroom-soup-meat-sauce from college that tasted of soap sauce because someone hadn’t rinsed out the pot properly… So. Many. Feelings.

A college cafeteria favorite (ie desperation) meal was rice, butter, and a splash of either soy sauce or balsamic vinegar, plus (a) chickpeas or (b) mushrooms, microwaved with butter - both from the salad bar. Pretty tasty!

4 Likes

Sadly it probably is. For a while last year there was a direct correlation between having a drink and this occurring… only reason I figured it out is a friend of mine had it much worse (eye swelling up at the table after a couple of sips of wine).

Someone told me there was an enzyme pill available, but the problem went away on its own after a few months of (almost) teetotalling, and had not recurred… until my friend mentioned it the other night when we were out. She jinxed me!

Sort of a snow day here today. Hubby traveling and kids are off school this week. So juggled trying to do some productive work while preparing dinner and playing referee to the various sibling spats that seem to arise approximately 4302 times an hour.

Dinner was slow roasted pork loin – seasoned liberally with salt, pepper, garlic and curry powder, then roasted low and slow with some big hunks of onion. Sides were roasted butternut squash, crispy brussel sprouts and asparagus and some snacky crispy roasted chickpeas with smoked paprika. Kids devoured it all happily, which means dinner was a true success.

7 Likes

Burger and fries

13 Likes

Recycle fridge food with zatarans dirty rice . Chicken , zucchini , onion . One pan meal . Wine to drink :wine_glass:Cheers .

5 Likes

Jamaican style beef Patt!es

From left over ground beef and frozen empanada wrappers.

![IMG_20190220_220240|700x393](upload://cGvpKhttwYJ913jK4dM5Ab

I sort of use the Serious Eats recipe. Except for the making the dough part.

16 Likes

didn’t photo it but his crankiness has the flu and no appetite so made brown rice with heated up dhal. quartered some mushrooms and added madras paste and a splash of cream. a mini spicy meal for one did the trick.

5 Likes

Pepcid AC is a popular folk remedy for alcohol reactions in some Asian(-American) communities. Take before drinking!

1 Like

Lots of winter illnesses going around here. Hope everyone feels better soon!

4 Likes

They sure looks crispy, flaky, and delicious

1 Like

Was it different from store?