What’s For Dinner #42 - 2/2019 - the Hearts & Flowers & Brrrr-Chilly Winter Edition

Plans tonight were postponed to next week due to my friend’s escalating cold/sickness- i feel lucky to have dodged catching anything this winter!

Had some kimchi as an appetizer of sorts, then the rest of last night’s curry soup thing with the surprising plot twist (!!) of added scallions along with the stemmy cilantro. Got a little sweet for me from the carrots and sweet potato after sitting overnight, fixed easily with a squeeze of lime.
Definitely will be making more soon. Photo came out weird/bad but you get the idea

14 Likes

Postponed tonight’s dinner plans with a friend to next week, when it will be 20-30 degrees warmer!

So I suddenly had time for some meal prep that’s been pending.

Pressure cooked 3 kinds of beans for the weekend. Finished making the one prep I had in mind, rest to be revisited.

Marinated chicken thighs in the spice mixture for this recipe that’s really a winner winner chicken dinner :grin:

Then blanked on what to do with the other packet of chicken legs (really, why did I buy both in the same week). Finally decided to marinate some in Rick Bayless’s amazing green chile adobo which I had in the freezer, and cook the rest in a redux of last week’s curry noodle chicken soup (which I finally realized is essentially a lighter khao suey). Added a few handfuls of broccoli slaw for the veggie component. Oh, and chicken skin “crackers” - chefs reward for messing with raw chicken :joy:

17 Likes

The lamb/eggplant stew that I made Sunday, with Urfa biber and a bit of a Greek spice blend, and extra buttery turmeric rice. Heavy on the turmeric - I just can’t get enough of this stuff lately. I love how the eggplant in the stew mimicked fatty little chunks of meat.

Also, butter braised endive and spinach with a crushed garlic clove. TPSTOB, of course.

18 Likes

Glad you’re finally feeling better! I bet that stock tastes amazing on its own too…

The color is beautiful. What is left of the cold has impaired my sense of smell - I can only make out the scent of tomato which was a minor component.

This recipe is much more intensive than I usually do for a soup. To complete it I need to pick up more ingredients then devote another day to the process…Shows how much I miss this borscht!

4 Likes

Lamb shoulder slow roasted in harissa for me, “top sirloin” from Crowd Cow for the hubs, and roasted asparagus, that was first refused, but is now disappearing.

18 Likes

omg that lamb!! :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Smells amaz!ng! How do I move this to February? Just post again?

I can use the mod superpowers and do it!

2 Likes

Yes please!

I started, but I messed it up.

Aspic is alive and well in Europe. I like mine with meat in it, even with some blood. Slice thinly and put it on bread is the normal way of eating it. In other shapes it’s more common as a side in the summer.

My partner does not eat extra salt. Just pepper on steaks. Good to see you posting on this thread again. And the cat photos made me throw my head back laughing!

1 Like

Not in this part of Europe. I remember it appearing on catered buffets when I was a child in 50s and 60s but nothing more recent. I did have a “tomato aspic” in 2016 as a starter at a restaurant in Vicksberg, MS - they prided themselves on offering “southern plantation” food which, I suppose made it very 19th century. And nothing of the meal was any good!

In the past, I’ve eaten “potje vleesh” in the Dutch speaking part of Belgium and “pot jevleesh” in the French part. Aspic binding together chunks of various meats, usually including rabbit. Always served with salad and chips.

Yes, chicken skins are the reward or fringe benefit

1 Like

“Gribiness”

4 Likes

Last few weeks were just disaster for me,
First, cold, that eventually became bronchitis
then, this bitter cold and high wind caused cracks on my 100" by 100" skylight ( look at right lower quadrant)
Worried that it may end up having leak, tried to go to attic to find architectural specs ( from 1974), as I have to have it custom made ( supposedly only place I can get it from is Colorado) , cannot find contractor to order and install,

kept injured my back in doing so, now pain on my neck as well/
So, son has been cooking mostly but he leaves today for Amsterdam for a month.
Last night, decided to cook his favorite, chilean sea bass with just plain rice and red wine.
Pan seared , then added smashed ginger, garlic and the white part of scallion, garlic, miso, shoaling wine, miso pepper and before serving, tablespoon of sesame oil.

14 Likes

Sorry you have had a tough time of it lately!

1 Like

I hope you’ll get better very soon. Sorry that you’ll be alone when your son is gone. Let us know you are fine by leaving us news from time to time.

6 Likes

To start - handful of salad leaves topped with a (bought) smoked haddock fishcake. Tartare sauce (also bought) to perk things up,

To continue - simply roasted belly pork (free range piggy bought from the local smokehouse). Nigel Slater continues to be my guide through this month and he suggests making stuffing balls to cook round the meat - sausagemeat (I’m using some from the farmers market), onion, celery, lemongrass, thyme (he suggests lemon thyme but I don’t grow that). And a sauce made from the pan juices, cider and redcurrant jelly. To accompany - red cabbage (I made a load at Xmas and froze in batches) and Mrs H’s cheat’s “fondant” potato (basically it gets cooked in butter & stock)

To finish - Mrs H has made a lemon curd and cream meringue roulade. I know nothing of the baking witchcraft except that the meringue is made, shaped into a rectangle, baked, smeared with the lemon curd (farmers market purchase) and whipped double cream, then rolled.

9 Likes

I would use thyme with some lemon zest, lemongrass is a bit strong unless you like it.

Your dinner is festive every night. Do you always eat a 3-course meal?

1 Like

I forgot to mention not your part of Europe. Saw the rankings in Good Food mag some years back, Brussels sprouts being most hated. Aspic is in the top 10.

In Germany there’s eel in aspic, as well as vegs.

Love sprouts and most things people hate.

1 Like