What’s For Dinner #41 - 1/2019 - Clean Slate - New Plate Edition!

Bless me Father for I have sinned…

Due to circumstances beyond our control, I had to forego baking an English Roast w/ Yukon Gold Potatoes tonight. We needed a gut filler, low prep, replacement. OnCor to the rescue. :hugs:

Threw a frozen Salisbury Steak family meal in the oven after adding a bunch of quartered button mushrooms to the tray. Minutes from now I’ll whip up a go with of Idahoan Buttery Homestyle Instant Mashed Potatoes.

All those artificial chemicals welcomed into our rickedy arteries. Please don’t shame me.

Photos unnecessary.

10 Likes

It’s something that is difficult to avoid when eating out. Especially those chef’s tasting menu type of meal.

That is the meal of my youth (but without the “fancy” mushrooms). My brother and I have exchanged numerous memes of Swanson TV dinners, including Salisbury steak. And we are old enough that we actually ate our TV dinners on fold-out trays in front of the TV. Until I became vegetarian and started eating giant bowls of mashed potatoes for dinner.

I guess I turned out ok. :face_with_monocle:

6 Likes

Weird day today, woke up with a ready to breakout cold (but not yet)…then need to go to a totally unrelated medical appointment…felt like a deadman walking, snow announcement on tv, returned home to move the citrus and delicate plants to garage…

Meal tonight was broiled mackerel in very hot oven. With kimchi and cucumber as sides.

Several meals, stored bought Korean seafood wanton and Furikake celery sticks with soy sauce - very good.

Banh mi - Vietnamese pate, cucumber, tomatoes, garlic sprouts and Maggie sauce, just like in Vietnam (I mean the sauce!)

Husband longed for pizzas - burrata, buffalo mozzarella, Nduja spianata, onion, basil and bell peppers

Tomato, anchovies, capers, black olives and basil

Edited: strange, I couldn’t find the draft, originally typed on computer and need to add photos on phone. Need to trash the post and edited the trash post on phone and recovered it. Just in case somebody need to use this method.

17 Likes

Feel better soon!

1 Like

Just very tired, da cold didn’t break out, I resist! (Ha, let’s see tomorrow!)

3 Likes

I came to appreciate its finer points when I married a Midwesterner. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:joy: it is what it is

2 Likes

Not too exciting here - more of the same braised lima beans and rice, this time with yogurt, sumac, and urfa biber. Playdate with wine beforehand.

4 Likes

Late night dinner.

A big pot of red lentil dal. Warm, spicy and satisfying

4 Likes

"Playdate with wine… "

Love it. Had a good friend and his wife from Virginia stay with us over the weekend. I guess it was a playdate with wine and amazing bourbon. Food was good too.

4 Likes

Now that is my kind of playdate!

Which bourbon?

1 Like

Loving the mackerel and anchovies!

Made tuna melts for others. I am gluten free this week, so I had rice with scrambled eggs and avocado. Odd combination, I know. I wanted something simple and plain today.

4 Likes

Had my version of a Philly cheese steak for dinner. Dry sauteed mushrooms, added leftover steak and leftover baked onion to the pan with a little butter and Worcestershire sauce. Piled onto a split club roll (touch of mayo), topped with provolone and popped into the oven until the cheese was melted and bubbling. Side of carrot sticks.

Fighting off what might be the beginnings of a cold so lots of hot tea and tangerines while mindlessly watching tv.

Stay warm everyone!

9 Likes

800 series Willetts. Barrels #811 and #813. We picked these barrels several years ago before the boom. About as good as it gets. Bottled at barrel proof

4 Likes

Strechted Sundays chicken dinner . Still good as leftovers. Incorporated a Italian whole sausage. Wine to drink. :wine_glass:Cheers

3 Likes

Verrrry nice!!

Kimchi appetizer snack while reheating dinner.
Repeat of the stew from last night, it got really thick in the fridge but was even better today. And in a stroke of genius i topped it with cilantro!

No chocolate tonight, i finished it off as a late morning snack before the gym :joy:

12 Likes

A bowl of pho for dinner. Broth and meats from the freezer.

14 Likes

Pizza Fritte is essentially fried pizza. While you can quite literally assemble a pizza on a fried circle of dough, it is traditionally eaten deconstructed. More fun that way too.

The dough was homemade, fried in canola oil, dipped into marinara sauce of your liking, and sprinkled with shredded mozzarella or parmesan.

3 Likes