What’s for Dinner #39 - Nov. '18 - The Beginning of the Holiday Season!

All four, Greek, Italian, Turkish and Mexican oregano taste diff. Italian is mild and Mexican is faintly citrusy to me. I enjoy all of them.

I didn’t add any oregano to the zaatar because I thought it would overpower the thyme. I prefer oregano with roasted garlic s&p and mild paprika in ooil as a garlic bread dip.

4 Likes

Started a topic yet?

Go for it :+1:

As much as I like to make everything from scratch, Zaatar is not one of them. There are so many good blends out there.

3 Likes

I can see that with many spice blends. I do both. Depends on avail. Mostly I like that I can adjust blends to my liking.
And make small batches.

2 Likes

While I think of it zaatar is delicious on fire pit popcorn and homemade potato chips. But I bet you know that👍

2 Likes

Dinner today was vegetable rice with shrimp and whiting.

4 Likes

Finally caught up on all of your fabulous meals for the past few weeks! I haven’t cooked much of anything since Thanksgiving - we had a LOT of leftovers. The carbs (stuffing, mashed potatoes, Parker House rolls and pie) were gone by Sunday, but there was a ton of turkey and half a porchetta to plow through. I made an omelet filling with the last of the porchetta, peppers and onions tonight, and DH and DSD have just about finished off the turkey for lunches. I’ll have to get my creative juices flowing again by dinnertime tomorrow!

5 Likes

I’m good with sage exactly twice times a year. Maybe three if it’s fried as a crunchy garnish.

1 Like

I knew today would be brutal (yup, 12hrs nonstop but my big meeting went better than i hoped) so last night i over-ordered and had just stashed this in the fridge.
Yellow one is fava bean puree soup (i think?) and the other they called stewed vegetables but it’s more like stewed overcooked carrots with some celery and a random chunk of zucchini or eggplant.
Not a fan of overcooked carrots- otherwise very tasty. The soup got better once i added enough salt.

And a gratuitous photo of one of my favorite
co-workers. It’s a dog friendly office so as long as they are registered and well behaved you can bring your dog to work (!!) she enjoys a good belly rub and i know for myself a few minutes with a happy dog reduces my stress level considerably!

12 Likes

Chicken thighs with a little tomato . Zucchini. I am going with the starch is the cheese. Wine to drink :wine_glass:Cheers .

11 Likes

The pita chicken dish sounds delicious. Bone in chicken? Thigh meat?

I used bone in thighs, but you can use any pieces.

1 Like

Simple meal. Fish and vegetables

11 Likes

I actually got home in time tonight to quickly get through this. And thanks to FB Memories, I was reminded of a very good turkey chili recipe I made last year. So it was WWFD tonight.

Sauteed chopped onions, red bell pepper, and minced garlic, added some chili powder and cumin, continued saute. Added 2 cans of kidney beans, some canned chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, 3 cups of leftover T’giving chopped turkey, some chicken stock. Finally, added about 1-1/2 cups of mashed cooked sweet potato blended with maple syrup, ground ginger, s/p, and a smidge of heavy cream to use as a thickener. Simmer, simmer, simmer, seasoned with dried oregano and some more salt & pepper.

Served on elbow noodles with grated sharp cheddar and sour cream.

I opted for a glass of wine while the chili was simmering on the flame tamer.

14 Likes

We shopped at Lidl for the first time today. I drove over early in the morning to check out the grand opening shopped for a few quickie specials and then returned with my wife.

For dinner we tried the frozen mushroom and truffle pizza, mini crab and lobster cakes, tossed a green salad with their produce packs and followed that with a frozen pistachio ice cream on a stick we have never seen before anywhere.

Pizza needed doctoring (garlic, spices, onion slivers, grate of parm, a touch of olive oil) and then was worth the oven time. But everything else was decent. The ice cream was very tasty and unique.

First time in weeks I did very little cooking/baking. Felt kinda nice :wink:

Cheers,
Rooster

8 Likes

Your zucchini is cooked perfectly!! Not easy, but i can tell it’s exactly right-it seems to go from juuusssttt right to overcooked sog in seconds

2 Likes

Sad desk dinner… we ordered too late so options were basically a pizza place and fast food. Everyone else had pizza, the cheese is a no go for me so i had a really sad salad that included a surprising amount of thick red onion slices.
And some pretzel fish from my desk stash.
Whatever.
Definitely not as good as a box of Trader Joe’s lentil soup for dinner. And that’s saying something.

4 Likes

A South Indian take on (golden) beets - stir fried with a coconut-based spice paste, with chickpea crepes and coconut chutney.

12 Likes

Does the egg seep in through the gaps in the potato shreds?

I recall trying this once for mini quiche, but they ended up more like spanish tortilla… still tasty, though.