What’s for Dinner #31 - The Blustery Month Edition - March '18

I really wish you hadn’t posted that enchilada photo - they look just like my mom’s gringo recipe. We are snowed in today and I just happen to have tortillas in the house…

1 Like

Enchladas are perfect snow day food. Mine were stuffed with queso blanco and roast pork it was a good for snowday breakfast too :grinning:

5 Likes

Not snowed in, but it’s supposed to rain, and I just happen to have all the ingredients at home to make chicken enchiladas, but we always use corn tortillas, never flour. Sounds like that’s what’s for dinner tonight!

2 Likes

I think the olives

1 Like

The Nor’easter theme today is Fresh killed chicken…so we had:
Chicken soup…with zucchini, carrots, mushrooms, turnips, parsnip, celery, potato, onion and cilantro20180307_161753
Then Chicken salad with the boiled chicken…a simple lime, mustard, EVOO vinaigrette with some boiled chopped potato, thin sliced red onion and thin sliced Roma tomato, S&P…
Then took the chicken skin and rendered for some chicken fat…but more importantly the “gribenes” or chicken chichioron.

9 Likes

Those too

1 Like

An easy meal today. In fact, the potatoes took the longest to boil. Skrei 2 ways.

Samphire, salmon roe, kumquat slices with more salmon roe (on top).

Red cabbage, apple and crisp-fried Tyrolean Speck. The natural light was fading fast right here. Could barely see the gorgeous colour of the cabbage even after increasing exposure compensation.

Skrei from the arctic is in season from Jan through April.

At 30 euros per kilo there’s a need for identification.

7 Likes

My photos will not up load…rightside up or upside down…sorry!!!

How fabulous! If you’re getting bunches with good carrot tops i have made this before with carrot top pesto (!). I modified to use nutritional yeast instead of parm and just left out the burrata since dairy hates me but obviously burrata = better.

1 Like

Do it! Totally perfect snow day dinner!

Dairy and I are not friends either, but I will try this without the burrata. I’m ok with small quantities of parmesan though.

1 Like

Leftover Chinese food. Yep, that’s right. Have been sick for a couple days with a bad cough. Way better today. Back at cleaning and boxing up stuff to move out. A couple beers to drink.:beer: yep moving sucks.

3 Likes

Glad you feel better. Big leftover Chinese food too. Cantonese roasted duck from weekend takeaway + Chinese sausages + leek + leftover rice + grated ginger + shallot + beaten egg + soy sauce + Chinese rose liquor (too yuck to drink) + Maggi sauce = fried rice, actually quite OK.

Continue to empty the fridge. Have many leftover egg white, lemons from my unhappy plant, radishes and beets. Need to think of something…

1 Like

Flight was cancelled, hopefully actually will leave friday early morning now.
In the meantime i had to brave going to the little market today (RIP the fancy $10 umbrella i bought last week) since i panic without fresh vegetables and picked up a few things. Including a bunch of mushrooms that were marked down yet looked great.
I made a sauce with onion/garlic/olive oil/mushrooms/soy sauce/thyme and a bunch of black pepper, then added in meatless balls (365 brand which are very tasty and in all likelihood nothing at all similar to actual meat). My orzo was an Epic Fail since i was multitasking and focused on avoiding a new seat assignment next to the bathroom in the middle seat for my flight. Overcooked beyond repair!
So meatless balls and shrooms sauce landed in a bowl with a defrosted pumpernickel bun. Side of raw radishes and some quick pickled cucumber, some port for sipping a la carte.
Terrifying photo of my very brown leftovers here

10 Likes

I feel ya. That sucks

i figured that, but every Mexican restaurant i grew up eating at in L.A. used those black olives!

I had some leftover London Broil. I had made too many noodles due to the bag ripping :confused:. Needed something to bring it all together so decided to make the NYT’s mushrooms Mariacarmen had described. Oh my! Easy and fairly quick to make. They seemed rich enough so I skipped the final Tb. of olive oil. Polenta would have been better to offset the richness but I have no complaints! I think I’ll steal the idea of adding soy sauce next time I make beef Stroganoff.

7 Likes

Dinner was literally the same meal as last night, although the port was an aparitif while doing some last minute cleaning and such. Kombucha with dinner.
I always bring treats to my family but I couldn’t find any street nut vendors today and apparently they still have frozen bagels from when i was there in December.
In a flash of brilliance I remembered Lee Lee’s and secured a box of rugelach -apparently very highly regarded. Chocolate walnut here for mom, dad’s raspberry and apricot escaped photography

11 Likes

Just a simple omelette for me tonight. Some Tasso bacon. Red onion, avocado. Side of cottage cheese. Wine to drink.:wine_glass:Cheers

4 Likes

heading up to the mountains tonight to try to take advantage of this snow we had bringing some of the chocolate brioche & bolognese a snow day projects for sustenance. I a amazed that the brioche turned out - my first rise failed & I added one too many eggs - I did not have the right pan sizes - it was appearing to be a mess but it turned out pretty good.
I don’t expect to get much done on the cabin or do much cooking but should be two good days of skiing - maybe the last two of the year for me. I do need to pick up something to make sandwiches the ski cafeteria food is the biggest rip-off imaginable - terrible food exorbitant prices.

6 Likes