What’s for Dinner #31 - The Blustery Month Edition - March '18

Oh no my Carbonara had cheese and egg. The internet recipe that made me want to make carbonara involved adding semolina to water and bacon fat some things should not be messed with.

1 Like

Sunday was beef bourguignon minus those little frozen onions i detest and the speedy version of no knead bread tonight was just a simple baked chicken legs with some adobo sauce also poached some chicken to make soup if this nor easter hits Wednesday. Threw some pork in the slow cooker for pulled pork enchiladas tomorrow. Im not doing a good job getting rid of the squatters.

8 Likes

That sounds amazing. Did you use a recipe, or just eyeball it?

2 Likes

agree 100%!

1 Like

thank you!

i pretty much followed this recipe, using a few of the optional additions:

4 Likes

here’s the NYT sausage & cabbage dish. cabbage was super melty and sweet. i would salt less between layers next time, or use a sweeter sausage (mine was a slightly spicy Sicilian, and pretty salty.) Supposed to serve with toasted bread and grainy mustard, but the dish was too salty for that, so i skipped the mustard. Also would be great with noodles or potatoes.

salad was creamy goat cheese, toasted pine nuts, romaine, and shallots, with a champagne vinegar and arbequina olive oil.

14 Likes

Last night’s dinner was almond rice pilaf, with Ottolenghi’s roasted carrots with tahini sauce. DH and the kids had wild salmon seasoned with McCormick’s Grill Mates Cedar seasoning (they all said it was good). I don’t eat fish so I cooked up a couple boneless pork loin chops, added some capers, lemon juice and butter for myself.

No pics because it wasn’t pretty, but it was good!

7 Likes

The sausage recipe looks terrific. Do you think it would work as well with red cabbage? I’ve got one that needs using and a snowstorm on the way!

1 Like

i was going to try that myself! i was warned, however, that i could end up with a blue dish. i think it’ll be fine. Do it! and stay warm!

Yes it will turn blue. But you can try this to lock the red with the following tip.

Lock in the colour by adding a touch of vinegar when cooking red cabbage in water. This stops the lovely deep purple hue from running.

source:

4 Likes

someone else told me about using acid to keep the color from changing, but that would change the flavor of the dish, since i cooked it in the oven only and didn’t parboil the cabbage first. In any case, purple or not, i’ll make sure to post pics! :grinning:

1 Like

Can be wine too, if vinegar or lemon juice is not possible.

1 Like

Thanks Maria and naf! I don’t mind blue, but I’m sure DH would find it more appetizing if I could fix the color. I think a splash of wine might be nice in this anyway, so perhaps I’ll try it!

1 Like

Oooh, i LOVE those carrots with tahini! If i remember correctly there’s also a little honey in the recipe? Something about that sesame and carrot combo is really magical

Last night was the last bits of fresh produce tossed in a pan with garlic, onion, mirin, soy sauce, and a dribble of sesame oil with the last of the smoked tofu cubed and added and topped with the random cilantro and scallion i had. Kombucha a la carte- which was a awesome fantastic surprise because i got CRAZY bubbles!! My home brew is hit or miss on the carbonation so it was exciting to have an extra bubbly one :slight_smile:

I met a good friend in my neighborhood for drinks tonight- long overdue and at the charming bar i love. It was super busy! The city gets very excited about snow days and it felt like a celebratory atmosphere.

I went with the sangria from the happy hour menu and just stayed with that for the evening

The lighting was horrible of course-obviously.
We shared the tomato bruschetta, guacamole and some fantastic herby fried- snacky style meal but portions here are generous so i came home full and buzzed :):grin:
There may be late night gingersnaps with my tea.
I was supposed to fly to CA tomorrow but with the incoming storm i moved my flight to thursday, so hopefully we don’t get hit too hard by the snow and i can get outta here!

7 Likes

Hope all fellow US Northeasterners are buckled down for the storm. Gringo Enchiladas tonight. Tomorrow’s presentation is canceled hope for a day of forced relaxation after working through the weekend.

13 Likes

Yes, thats the one! I’ve made it almost every week for the past month beacaue I’ve been finding nice organic rainbow carrots at Sprouts. My kids are sick of them now. LoL

1 Like

what makes them Gringo? they look so good!

Cajun turkey thigh cooked on Sunday. It turned out a little dry! I think i roasted it too high. Made a creamy dreamy pot of mashed potatoes with oodles of butter, heavy cream (using up leftovers), goat cheese, minced shallots and smashed garlic cloves. Also, an attempt at Southern-style squash, but my little meximart only had “white” zucchini on hand. Sauteed with onions, a tiny bit of leftover bell pepper, a little sugar, pork fat (out of bacon fat) and butter. i splashed in a bit of Maggi too, since i didn’t have the bacon fat. Really delish, nice and sweet.

7 Likes

Flour Tortillas
They were good

2 Likes