What’s for Dinner #31 - The Blustery Month Edition - March '18

Last night I unexpectedly stayed for dinner with my good friend that is also my neighbor. Her partner was out with teammates after his soccer game and her son had eaten already.
She asked me to make salad with what i found in the fridge which included celery, radicchio, a bit of fennel, some leftover roasted carrots and spring mix. Quick dijon vinegrette. She rewarmed some mujadarra she had made earlier in the day and decided there was too much prosecco in the fridge so we worked on that too ;))
I had brought over See’s toffeettes and molasses chips which she had for dessert (I can’t yet dumb dental work)

Tonight i had the korean sesame bean sprouts i made yesterday afternoon but that’s not really a legit meal so i did a quick seared tofu with soyaki and a side of thin sliced daikon with furikake.
Kinda random but tasty. Super fizzy kombucha a la carte. My last batch is the best yet! It fermented in the bottles the whole time i was in CA so it’s extra carbonated which i love

5 Likes

Sausage, chicken, onion & sweet pepper roast. Italian sausage was sauteed then cut up, then tossed with chunks of potato, sliced onion, smashed garlic cloves, sliced peppers two chicken thighs (we split one for dinner) that were slashed a couple of times to the bone, and herbs and olive oil. Into the oven uncovered for on 1 hour at 450 degrees - chicken was super crispy, same with the taters, but everything else was melty and sweet. very homey.

7 Likes

Perfect meal for the weather outside.

1 Like

Chorizo and cabbage casserole to use up some leftover cabbage and a few leftover potatoes. Had some of it with a couple fried eggs, broccolini, and bacon.

5 Likes

Does.
Not.
Compute.
:thinking::confused::wink::wink::wink:

4 Likes

I know!! Apparently her SO doesn’t like it and she won’t open a bottle just herself. I made it known i can help take care of excess prosecco any time that’s a problem! :laughing:

4 Likes

I found a big package of those mini persian cucumbers for a great price, so next thing you know it’s turned into a banchan with sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and sesame seeds. Apparently the scallions i bought never went into my grocery bag since i came home and realized they were not there. I use some thin sliced sweet onion instead but much prefer the scallions.

And yes i do use large tupperwares for about everything! Haha.
Not pictured is a side of the beansprouts and some sliced smoked tofu, kombucha a la carte.

9 Likes

extremely tired from workingi n the garden, pulling chickweeds and spreading more micro clover seeds as 3 days rain is predicted this weekend.
So, ate lunch was left over chicken thighs with asparagus using gochujang sauce ( my first experience) on the skinless chicken thighs sliced thin marinaded with shiao zing wine, garlic, after I caramelized some onions, and added ginger and spring onions. It was not spicy at all, so I had to add chipotle and adobo sauce to it. I guess we are spicy eaters! ( did not take pictures)

Dinner tonight for m son was turbo oven baked chicken wings after it sat in the fridge overnight, dusted with baking powder and my rub ( chili, garlic, onion powder, paprika and ancho powder), for my son ( I cracked my implant tooth last time, so, only made it for my son. Also had zucchini chips coated with EVOO, panko and parmesan baked 375 degrees for 25 minutes. I just had left over rice, stir fried with frozen mixed vegetable, chinese sausage, a breakfast sausage cooked on the plancha. Store bought pecan pie and pinot noir.

Pictures turned out pretty bad but the food was OK. The chicken wing were crispy served with Frank’s Hot Wing sauce. Some parmesan chips were already consumed before picture was taken

6 Likes

I really like the Persian cucumbers

1 Like

My mother’s version is same except she uses sesame oil, and add minim which give it a bit of sweetness. She does not use scallions but grind some peppers and red pepper flakes.
We love this for a simple vegetable dish esp when we have fried main course.

1 Like

This is when the little bottles of prosecco come in handy. Not always the best brands, but still decent enough for when you absolutely have to have a mimosa or bellini! :wink:

3 Likes

Made this 10 hour braise, Rigatoni alla Genovese, Sunday night. has about 3.5 lbs of onions (i halved the recipe). It tasted really good, but the meat (beef chuck) was a bit tough - sort of wood-pulpy. i always attribute this to long cooking times like this. So, very good, but not excellent. Although the BF wolfed it down. He made us a simple green salad with Marie’s BC dressing to go alongside.

10 Likes

I always tell people that gochujang is not that spicy. Its appearance belies the level of spiciness. Seriously it’s like the ketchup of Korea!

4 Likes

thanks, now I know

This is the week to catch up on gardening before it gets too hot. Put in 5 hours today with probably 1/3 of that comprised of catching my breath and resting. I am out of shape but made some good headway.

I had odds and ends of vegetables so I made a quiche. Munster cheese with chopped Canadian bacon and shallots scattered about. Then 1/3 tomato, 1/3 mushroom, 1/3 asparagus. Kind of nice having 3 choices in one dish!

Quiche and salads are the plan for most of this week. After gardening I just want something light. Easy peasy!

(Freezer inventory decreased: 1 block of cheese, 1 pie shell, one skinny package of Canadian bacon. Oddly enough nothing fits back in easily after the removal of said items. So it feels like a wash…)

8 Likes

Pan seared red snapper with roasted potatoes and leaf and tomato salad

9 Likes

You’re rocking the seafood these days!

1 Like

Thanks. All 3 dinners X 2 came from a $20 something purchase of local fish and meger ingredients.

Tonight’s dinner really pushed my buttons.

3 Likes

What seafood market do you like? I was pleased with Pelican Point in Tarpon but I’m usually further south. Any suggestions for Dunedin or Safety Harbor?

This came from a little seafood market with a cooking trailer out front on Seminole Blvd. My go to for lunch when I’m doing some fill in work down the street. What happens at home takes it to the next level. My only job is to not screw it up

1 Like