What’s for Dinner #31 - The Blustery Month Edition - March '18

tonight’s dinner is venison backstrap that I slathered with EVOO, then used a rub from Savory spIce for beef ( sea salt, black and white pepper, garlic, onion, coriander, caraway, rosemary and thyme), gift package for being spice from them.
seared on top of the stove using duck fat, and then finished in the oven til it reached 130 degrees, rested before serving. Using the cast iron skillet, 3 shallots were diced, browned, then pino noir added until the wine was reduced, D’artagnan’s venison and duck demiglaze about 2 oz added, simmered and then light cream to finish it off.
Venison was perfect.
I stil had 2 left over zucchinis from last night’s dinner, same treatment, brushed with olive oil, added parmesan and panko mixture (50-50) baked at 350degrees. My carnivorous poms love this because of the parmesan.
Dessert was store bought pecan pie ( too sweet)

4 Likes

When I use it in scrambled eggs, it gives the eggs a smoky flavor. Love the stuff.

1 Like

Now I want to make a quiche. I haven’t had any in ages. Time for this dish to make a comeback. Or did it ever go away .

1 Like

It never went away. It was shunned due to the ill informed cholesterol police

5 Likes

The cholesterol police ruin everthing.

5 Likes

It was shunned by the public in response to medical articles that sent the media into a frenzy.

There are no food police; you can eat anything you want. Except puppies.

3 Likes

It’s been very hot here this week, so dinners have been simple.

Chicken piccata, rice with fresh English peas, arugula salad.

Strawberries and cream for dessert.

7 Likes

A miserable day. Biking and holding an umbrella and fighting the wind at the same time is not fun. Good to come home to an Austrian dinner.

Close-up of crisp-fried Tyrolean Speck on top of a dumpling. There’s a small plate of “sheet” of fried Speck alongside. A few chopped up bits are not enough, trust me. There’s also chopped Speck inside the dumplings, btw. That’s why it’s called Tyrolean.

These dumplings are typical in Tirol, Austria where the Speck is so revered. It finds its way into many things there. If you look closely you’ll see un-fried Speck wrapped around the base of the dumplings. Traditionally these dumplings are served either in a savoury broth or with a salad. I have runner beans and red cabbage.

Found a good photo (from the web) of different types of Tyrolean Speck so you have an idea what they look like.

No matter how bad we are fortunate it still hasn’t come to this yet! This is Tiananmen Square in Peking!

8 Likes

Tonight’s dinner is D’artagnan mini wild boar roast. I suddenly found them in my local grocery store ( I used to have to travel to either DC or Va to buy them from Wegman’s. So, I hoarded all four that was available.
Cooked it based on D’artagnan’s recipe for Italian Wild Boar Ragout. The boar meat was cut into 1/4 inch strips , then further into 1/4 inch cubes, S/P. Sauteed thinly sliced sliced onion, and small fennel till translucent, diced carrot, diced celery , then added wild boar until it lost its color, followed by a cup of merlot ( suggested white wine), simmered till wine was almost absorbed, added 4 ounce of D’Artagnan demiglaze ( all I have left) and 2 cups chicken broth with a pinch of saffron ( my take) , a can of diced tomato and an extra tomatoes that was getting too soft, 3bay leafs , 1 tsp sage and thyme, bring to a boil, then simmered for 90 minutes.I then added light cream, pinch of nutmeg , pinch of crushed fennel seeds, simmered for another half an hour till sauce was very thick, coating my spoon. This was served with pappardelle and regiano parmeggiano . One bowl showed the dish before adding parmesan… The wine was spoiled , full of sludge, so, I decided to have tea instead. There was enough rage for another meal tomorrow.
Served with tea that I steeped using dried Chinese hawthorne fruits.

11 Likes

hmm , would like to try some tyrollean speck

You have to do what you have to do. Back in Mt Shasta. Left Santa Cruz at 451 this morning. Good to be home. Red Baron frozen pepperoni pizza. Wine to drink :wine_glass:Cheers . It’s my favorite frozen pizza.lol

3 Likes

I think it morphed into the godforsaken egg white omelettes and easy to make with limited skills frittata (pastry crusts take a skill set not all line cooks have). Or maybe everyone just got tired of quiche after one too many bad frozen mini quiche appetizers at generic parties.
It’s certainly poised for a proper come back!

2 Likes

Met a fried to go to an industry panel discussion that was some rather posh invite only thing at a posh private club with painfully chic people. We had some rose and a few of the beautiful tiny passed apps at the reception afterwards (not kidding one of them had cherry tomatoes that were cut straight each side into a cube on tiny parmesan toast with microbasil)
We went to locanda verde for a drink and food afterwards, i was surprised how busy it was on a wed pm. The bar is beautiful, and i asked the bartender for a cocktail with elderflower that is refreshing and she made something wonderful with lots of lemon and some gin and the st germain.
We inhaled several wedges of still warm focaccia and shared the scilian caulifower with saffron onions and pine nuts, oven roasted beets with pistachio, and a special of the day that was wide fresh green pasta (can’t remember why it was green) that had peas and microgreens and hazelnuts- they split the pasta for us and my friend’s plate got the burrata since dairy hates me.
Just got a photo of the bar and my drink, the lighting was clearly terrible for photos!

7 Likes

Made a batch of boudin and then had some for dinner. It tastes better than it looks.

10 Likes

That picture of clear blue skies and fluffy white clouds over mountains just seems mean amidst the smog of Peking, as if to say “This is what you don’t have.”

That looks amazing! Great recipe as well!

i love your fish dinners… and that salad looks perfectly dressed! and the taters!

Love Locanda Verde! We were in NYC a couple years ago for i think 5 days and we ate there twice!

1 Like

isn’t Tiananmen square in Beijing, or is Peking what they call it? Just confused…i know very little about China!

that pic is very sad!

You’re not going to have to twist my arm to make me believe. And it looks great to me.

1 Like