What’s for Dinner #31 - The Blustery Month Edition - March '18

Gracias!

Beautiful countryside. It will ne so nice to see spring green here. Bicycle and hiking season is the only thing that makes the end of ski season not sad. Soup looks great too.

1 Like

Another wet sloppy icy noreaster that will probably be just enough of a dud that work is on tomorrow. Thankful for the ham i had frozen to make spilt pea soup some Rhone red while it simmers. First day of spring winter is on its way out. Im not even hungry because we had lunch at the place across from the office with wonderful wood fired pizzas. Bread making supplies ready in case the storm kicks up and keeps me home tomorrow.

4 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was seared scallops with mushroom Risotto.

I had some dried wild mushrooms that I rehydrated in some hot chicken broth. Sauteed some onion, added in the chopped wild mushrooms along with a fresh portabello mushroom and sauteed. Added some white wine, and the arborio rice, then cooked with the mushroom soaking liquid and more chicken broth added in a little at a time. Finished with lots of fresh grated Parmesan. Scallops were just seared in butter with S&P with a squeeze of lemon at the end.

Finished off the rest of the wine with and post dinner. :clinking_glasses:

19 Likes

Monday night was my sister’s birthday dinner- she requested sushi so we went to their favorite local spot that’s very casual and popular. And since i’m in CA they actually had some creative veg*n options including the smoked tofu and avocado roll i had. We shared edamame and i had a side of that cucumber salad thing i love which came with some delicious surprise crunchy seaweed garnish. Hot sake for those not driving. No photos except for the amazing birthday card she got

6 Likes

Hey guys – I’ve not been stalking as often as I usually do due to work, traveling…but is it just me or have I not seen SMTucker here in some time? Given her health issues, I’m worried. I’ll message her privately.

5 Likes

I have also been wondering. Hope she’s OK!

1 Like

Hey, check this out. My “scallops” are a fair bit cheaper. :wink:

8 Likes

Sometimes I don’t feel like putting in so much effort, like today. Have some stuff in the cupboard to use up. Malaysian spicy crispy prawn bits and Sichuan Lao Gan Ma (chilli flakes in oil) were used to give taste to potato noodles. Some sliced chard for greenery. The other thing is steamed eggs with Sichuan preserved turnips and ginger.

7 Likes

please explain the advantage of scoring the scallops?
looks great!
we have now 4"-5" winter storm, still snowing!
Lucky I have a lot of left over, the mangalitsa ham with just garlic , campari tomato and crusty brad with lots of left over .

I agree, The main star is the pulled pork with the vinegar based dressing, a little cole slaw without mayonnaise ( son does not et mayo)
I try now to just buy sliders, esp potato sliders, so we will not fill up with the bread.
Some guests literally just eat the pork while I am shredding it with the bear claw!

Even when you don’t put in a lot of effort, your food looks amazing.

6 Likes

My nephew enjoyed making kimchi so much -and has since proceeded to eat it with about everything!- that I decided bibimbap would be a fun dinner and everyone could DIY their own depending on how adventurous they wanted to be. It was (another) rainy day so i made us a bunch of sides not traditional for bibimbap but whatever.

I found asian chives! The bunch was enormous so i made the chive salad from Maangchi as well as her pancakes (i also added the extra bean sprouts to the pancakes.) for such a very tiny amount of batter they held together really well. Not exactly beautiful but really very tasty

I had to skip the spicy stuff in everything, i come from a family of wimpy white folks! Chive salad was really refreshing image

The sesame broccoli was a big hit with mom (nearly raw broccoli is one of the very few vegetables she will eat), and i will certainly make again since it was so fast and tasty
https://www.koreanbapsang.com/2013/10/sesame-broccoli.html

I also made some dry fried green beans, and this amazing cucumber salad that i doubled and yet between the other four of us cucumber lovers it was gone quickly. I didn’t double the sugar though

The shredded daikon salad was way better than I thought it would be! Total PITA to shred with the box grater (no mandolin here) but totally worth the elbow grease. And apparently i forgot the carrot so it was just very white…

https://www.koreanbapsang.com/2016/01/musaengchae-sweet-sour-radish-salad.html
And of course my most favorite-est dish of sesame bean sprouts.

My (vegan) dinner bowl- white rice is under all that somewhere, and so is my tofu. Store bought mild red kimchi and pickled daikon, enoki mushrooms because they’re cute and tasty. The omnis don’t understand dinner without an animal protein, so i nominated dad to deal that that- some sort of sliced pork with a sesame and soy marinade.
Wine in the corner of the photo :wine_glass:

18 Likes

your chives pancake is reminiscent of my oyster omelet from my hometown , Xia Men.
we use the same main ingredients, chinese chives, bean sprout, sweet potato flour and an egg for binder. However, we add raw chopped oyster and occasionally, small shrimp that i precooked in ginger, garlic.= and she sesame oil. Pan fried, it is good!
This is served with ketchup and tabasco.

1 Like

Another snow storm the city shut down early but it wasn’t too bad spent my early home from work time making lasagna bolognese and french bread.
20180321_204726

12 Likes

I too am concerned, @digga.

1 Like

I think those are King eryngii mushrooms?

Looks amazing- do you have a particular recipe that you like for the bean sprouts?? Those are some of my favs too!

What did you use for the “scallops”?

Yes, there seem to be so many wonderful versions of savory asian pancakes- I don’t eat seafood myself but that sounds like a tasty combo. Ketchup wouldn’t be my first thought but why not???