What’s for Dinner #31 - The Blustery Month Edition - March '18

I use this recipe- i just blanch the sprouts, I don’t like them too soft. And i use soy sauce in place of fish sauce to make it vegetarian so i omit the salt. And i never measure sesame seeds so I definitely use more cuz i love them!
Seriously I don’t think i have had a batch last more than 48hrs. (And i live alone!)
https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kongnamul-muchim

Crab cakes tonight.

11 Likes

Back in Mt Shasta. Couple of freinds staying over. Plenty of room. Best batch of oven chicken yet. Mashed potatoes, and broccoli. Wine to drink . :wine_glass:

CHEERS.

7 Likes

King trumpet mushrooms :relaxed:

For the colour, to seal in the juices, to get a little crisp on the exterior (scallop flesh is delicate and the light crisp provides a contrast). That’s what I think anyway. Others have their own ideas.

@bcc, most kind. Thank you very much! If I don’t stay motivated I just keep eating cheese and bread 3 times a day. Really!

2 Likes

thanks

I haven’t received a response to my private message to @smtucker yet. And that definitely worries me. I’m having flashbacks to fellow Boston-area poster Gio who also “went missing.” Someone close to her posted she was having health issues. That was some time ago.

5 Likes

Thanks for the update, digga. I know we are all wishing her well and missing her.

3 Likes

where is that gasp button when we need it! lovely.

1 Like

Gio is part of a FB food group that i belong to and she posts sporadically, but she is alive and well.

hope we get some news on SMTucker soon…

4 Likes

those noodles look amazing!

1 Like

Don’t knock it til you try it…Ketchup is a secret ingredients of several of my mom’s Korean dishes. For example, she makes an awesome dipping sauce with ketchup, kochijang (Korean chili paste), sesame oil and seeds.

Your bibimbap party looks positively scrumptious! There are no hard and fast rules about what should go into bibimbap (as there shouldn’t be in any type of cusine, IMO)…traditionally, families usually throw into the bowl whatever bits and ends they have left in the fridge.

3 Likes

Here too. Her last post was like, 1.5 month ago?! Hope she just wants a break from the food talk, and she is in her frenzy food making mood.

4 Likes

Oh, that’s great to know, mariacarmen. I miss Gio! And smtucker.

5 Likes

SMTucker is alive and well! Unfortunately, she is dealing with another family member’s health issues. She is on hiatus from HO for now but she’s grateful for her Magic Freezer as her zeal for cooking has been diminished. Let’s hope she can find her joy in cooking once again. In the meantime, she’s touched by everyone’s concern here. It’s funny how good online communities can have that effect on people.

18 Likes

Thanks for the update. Please wish her well

3 Likes

Thanks for that!

Hope other members who are MIA also OK.

2 Likes

I felt like putting in the effort today since I couldn’t go to the pub thanks to the unpleasant weather. Made potato dumplings called “Schupfnudeln”, a type of dumplings made of flour, eggs/yolks and mashed potatoes. Half of the flour is replaced with potato starch which helps the dumplings keep their shape well. Everything was fried in duck fat, even the Tyrolean Speck.

This meal is most often served with Sauerkraut but I just used it up the other day. I have red cabbage kimchi laying around so why not use that. It’s just as good as the original version with non spicy Sauerkraut. We loved it.

Austria meets Korea.

Partner went to the kitchen to fetch another plate of kimchi half way through.

I couldn’t hold the camera so steady today, photos are barely usable.

PS: Thanks, MariaC!

12 Likes

Even when @smtucker is cooking less, she is still twice more productive than my normal self! :wink:
Take care!!

5 Likes

I made greek turkey burgers by mixing in feta, black olives, oregano, sundried tomatoes, salt and pepper into ground turkey. I served them with a tossed green salad.

7 Likes

Crab cakes again. Reheated and stood up well for a second appearance, along with slaw and lettuce greens

10 Likes