What’s for Dinner #25 - 09/2017 - the Autumnal Edition

Here is the cauliflower:

The salad was great too, also with dates:

Enjoy!

1 Like

That sauce looks amazing! Drool!

1 Like

Thank you for the recipes! Never thought of using za’atar and dates as a combo. A fan of both.

1 Like

I went to visit my friend again today, now four days past her due date, thankfully she was able to get some sleep last night but she has a houseful at the moment including her mother who means well and yet isn’t especially helpful and certainly can’t cook.
I invited myself to make an early dinner for everyone and nominated her husband to go fetch and then grill the omni protein. Meanwhile i made a celery/dates/fennel/lemon and parmesan salad using the mandolin for everything but the dates. Olive oil/lemon juice and lots of pepper tossed together.
I found quick cooking barley in the cupboard and made another salad using that cooked and cooled with some scallions we grilled, cherry tomatoes, sliced almonds, lots of cilantro, and a light vinegrette. A layer of baby spinach went on the bottom of the serving bowl.
I had also brought her a batch of no bake grain and nut bars individually wrapped for the hospital go bag and chopped up the pineapple i brought for her to keep snacking on.

7 Likes

I love that celery salad! I haven’t made it with fennel as well but I bet it would be good too.

Wow. Bad news for Chipotle…

I wonder how much avocado gets wasted in guacamole. If the avocadoes are really ripe it goes brown in a couple hours.

1 Like

Grilled skirt steak, king trumpet mushrooms, and asparagus with the last of the charcoal. I had forgotten that I put the steak in a marinade 2 days ago and thought I had ruined it but it turned out pretty good. We are attempting to buy 2 pieces of land in 2 different states and it is getting hectic.

6 Likes

A lovely ramen night out. The Gyoza are excellent, crispy thin skin. The ramen with black sauce has a strong grilled garlic taste and rich, quite interesting, noodles cooked al dente.

!

7 Likes

Buying land in ONE state is hectic, much less two states! Good luck.

2 Likes

Gyoza looks good
I like to use spring onions but cannot eat it raw
I have to cook it,stir fried or inside as one of the ingredients for my dim sum, or added as a garnish when I finish stir frying for the flavor but if it looks not well cooked, I still try and fish them out. I do love fried crispy scallion added as a garnish, very disappointed when I went to the Asian Store yesterday, could not find them.

Drinking and eating across the pond in Austria

Tonight it was multiple cheeses and crusty bread followed by grilled chicken thighs, legs, grilled vegetables and dal in the comfort of the home of a gracious friend, in the company of many friends. The whiskey and wine selections were fantastic. The food wonderful and satisfying.

This is what my life is currently about. Will be back to reality soon enough

11 Likes

When in Vienna you have to have an Eiskaffee…

In Westchester this is known as an Affogato. :wink:

4 Likes

Brisket Pizza

7 Likes

Dinner is one pound of wild dry scallops,( 15/ pound ) left overnight in fridge to dry, dusted with sweet potato flour and baking powder 15 min prior to searing, , salted, seared with grape seed oil in my cast iron skillet/
Using the same skillet, fried 4-5 finely minced shallot, , then spooned the mixture on top of the scallops,
Then added garlic to the pan, followed by spinach, cooked till wilted, added reggiano parmegiano to the spinach
This was served with barilla protein plus thin spaghetti al dente and pesto ( from Costco) with some more regianno parmegiano and glass of pinot noir
There was only one scallops for the poms with the tendon and 20 gms of raw venison plus reggiano with pasta split between the two of them They ate it and kept on smucking their lips , I guess they want more . ( They have to be portion controlled, 30 gms for Woldie, 26 gms for Luna. They already gained 2 ounces each last month)
Pictures does not do justice to the scallops which were really nicely caramelized and partially hidden.

THANKS PRESUNTO FOR THE TIP OF USING BAKING POWDER.

Too lazy to use different plates but mine was the yellow with less scallops and my son had the red plate.
I guess I am not much of presenter but the food was excellent! I added more reggiano after the picture was taken so it will not cover the food.

Picture does not do justice to the scallops

9 Likes

I had a head of cauliflower that I wanted to roast tonight but it is SO HOT here! Nearly 90 degrees at the end of September, ugh. Anyway, turning on the oven wasn’t an option, so I fried up some bacon, drained most of the drippings, and then pan roasted the cauliflower in the fat instead. Put the crumbled bacon back in at the end and melted on some cheddar and parmesan, plus lots of black pepper. It was meant as a side to grilled flank steak and pan roasted cherry tomatoes, but the cauliflower ended up being the star!

9 Likes

Grandma pizza. And wine.

11 Likes

Made some butter chicken using Kitchens of India butter chicken paste, with chicken thighs and a tomato. Also had some rice and steamed broccolini.

6 Likes

I had a raging headache all day and it was crazy hot and humid so forced dinner was a delightfully refreshing bowl of skyr and blackberries. For tonight, I’m marinating pork chops in buttermilk which I’ll cook with the rotisserie or circulator depending on what time I get home and pair with sautéed spinach with pancetta. I’m looking forward to fall weather for some more seasonal recipes.

4 Likes

As I was making my own gringo salad last night, inspired by @biondanonima, I was thinking how grateful I am to be part of such a great community. I get so many cooking ideas from all of you, and vicariously enjoy your creativity. Thanks!

7 Likes

Leftovers tonight.

Pork Roast, Spätzle, Brisket, Red Cabbage, Green Beans, Cauliflower, Cole Slaw.

4 Likes