What’s for Dinner #20 - 04/2017 - Spring's calling: a movable feast

Last night i met a few friends for some fantastic fancy cocktails and industry gossip, thanks to a midtown traffic jam (at 9:30pm!) i was starving once near my apartment. A poor judgement call -due to hangry and buzzed - resulted in some ho-hum chinese takeout tofu with “mixed chinese vegetables”. I tossed the leftovers this morning which felt wasteful but unavoidable.
Late lunch today was a fantastic large vegan molasses cookie with my almond milk cafe au lait around 3pm- work was a $hitshow all day and i needed a quick kick in the rear before running in circles around midtown for the next several hours.

After finally getting home i needed some serious veggies for dinner.
Green beans with some smoked salt and olive oil roasted alongside some baby carrots til blistered while i drank my first glass of wine and seared a slab of tofu with basic salt and pepper and olive oil. The leftover tahini sauce from the other night went over everything, another glass of wine a la carte.
Dessert will be candied ginger and chai tea

8 Likes

Sichuan water boiled fish with a lovely Côte’s du Rhône.

5 Likes

Haircut.
Gilda got a checkup.
Stupidmarket.
Cooking.

Dinner was more fall-like. But with 45° gray, cloudy and rainy weather, it was appropriate.

Dinner was a pan-seared pork chop, then baked in the oven with a maple-lime-wine mixture on top. Mashed sweet potatoes and sauteed rainbow Swiss chard with garlic.

(There will be no mention of the overly toasted pine nuts, pleaseandthankyou). I hate that I just wasted all of them - forgot they were in the oven after I took the pork chop out! Grrrr…

Wine. Chop was a wee bit overdone - didn’t time it right, even with the Thermapen.

1 Like

Interesting to see that drinking a côte du rhône with a hot spicy dish. It’s very difficult to pair wine Chinese dishes…

You made the dough and everything from scratch?

Nice article! Had I read it prior to dinner, I may have felt intimidated by my choice. But I think the wine and peppercorns worked together beautifully. Now we know. :wine_glass:

1 Like

Yucky rainy day here. I baked a bunch of quinoa coconut granola for my adorable friend who loves it so much. (His birthday is monday). There’s quinoa, oats, coconut oil, various nuts, dried coconut, dried fruit and i use brown rice syrup so it gets clumpy.
I made a ton of it, so that i could keep some too! Had an early dinner of plain greek yogurt with lots of granola on top and some chopped apple. Side of hot tea. Hit the spot

1 Like

Yep, I used this recipe for the dough:
3 cups flour
1 cup boiling water
1 tsp of salt
Mix salt and flour in a stand mixer with flat beater until combined, then add the water and continue mixing until it comes together. Knead by hand or in mixer with dough hook for a few minutes. Roll out dough. I just got a Kitchenaid pasta roller attachment which made it a lot easier to roll out. Used the “2” setting which I think was a little too thick, “3” or “4” would probably be better.

The filling is 12oz of ground beef sauteed with one diced onion + salt and pepper. After removing from pan mixed with some mozzarella I had in the fridge (around 4oz), which was grated. A sharper cheese would have probably been better. Put in fridge to let it firm up a little so that it was easier to work with.

Made them into pierogi form with a plastic pierogi press. I used I think a 6 inch sized one, made them big this time because of laziness, less pierogi to cut and press if they are bigger.

Cooked by boiling in them in salted water and then browning in a nonstick pan with a little oil, froze the rest.

2 Likes

Yesterday was a brutal day. I think I had some mild food poisoning from chicken. I woke up in the middle of the night with severe abdominal cramps and liquidy stools. Then all day in bed, crampy with muscle aches. Nausea not vomiting. I managed to scrape my butt out of bed to do the shopping with my husband and son at 8am. Retreated to bed as soon as we got home. Husband unpacked everything. I had my heart set on making Serious Eats Lasagna Bolognese because ground beef was on sale.

The one thing I did before retreating to bed was put on a mini chicken in my stockpot to make chicken stock. Later in the evening, I turned it into congee.

I managed to get up in the mid afternoon and make the Bolognese sauce. Husband ended up eating it on cottage cheese for dinner. This actually created a yummy, high protein, low carb lasagna taste!

I did not know pierogi presses existed. And now I must own one. :slight_smile:

I saved your recipe to my notes. I will probably do a potato filling for one batch, and your meat recipe for the other batch. (I have to balance feeding omnivores, vegans, and vegetarians.)

1 Like

I am feeling 100% better.

To make up for yesterday’s write off day I have banged off Serious Eats Lasagna Bolognese.
I made split pea soup from a ham bone from Easter.
And a whole mess of frico!
I’m going to move out of the kitchen and onto cleaning the rest of the house!

4 Likes

OK, there is NO WAY that I’d have gone food shopping after a night like that! You’re a trooper - I do hope you’re feeling a bit better today and a lot better tomorrow! ETA: I see your follow-up post - glad you’re up and about!

3 Likes

Glad you’re feeling better! That sounds brutal- i can’t believe you left the house at all!

2 Likes

Mac & ham and cheese and banana chocolate-chip muffins (and bread) were made for the coworker whose daughter is going through chemo for leukemia.

Made the mac & cheese a lot more mild than I normally would, to cater to the tastes of the coworker and his 3yo daughter who is at home with him while Mom stays with the 1yo. I hope the banana choc-chip muffins (bread will be for other coworkers) go over well!

Finally, the first time (at least in my presence) that Alfie has used the cat bed since we lost Buster. He sniffed a long time at the place where Buster used to rest his head. Stepped in, made some biscuits, kneading a comfy place, and then settled down for a nap. <3

12 Likes

With the exception of the beautiful food you prepared
this entire post

:cry::crying_cat_face: :heart:

2 Likes

Isn’t it beautiful the cats! Now Alfie is making dreams about Buster. Looks like Alfie decide to move on.

1 Like

Good that you got a quick recovery. It sucks with food poisoning. It was a meal you had in a restaurant?

Election night, potluck meal with neighbours. Result: the spring chicken and the fascist got into the round 2, in the end, not much of celebration, but we had some fun. I did the @mariacarmen 's pulled pork recipe, it was a total success! Everybody love it! Yet the recipe is so simple!! Originally, I wanted to serve with home made tortilla and red cabbage and mango salad. The tortilla failed, it cracked when I tried to move them from the film to the pan. Anybody tortilla expert here? I used the recipe below. I’m wondering about the corn flour I have used or I have added too much water. In the end, I found a package of Old El Paso tortilla and tossed it into the microwave.

1 Like

Sounds great . Maria turned me onto this recipe . I brown large chunks of pork shoulder . Then use this recipe to braise the pork in until tender . Made it again this weekend . You can add some different chiles to the mix other than guajilo . http://www.food.com/recipe/guajillo-chili-sauce-132680

3 Likes

Good idea! Thanks!