What’s for Dinner #20 - 04/2017 - Spring's calling: a movable feast

Yes, pineapple upside down cake is similar in concept to tarte Tatin, although most traditional recipes call for canned pineapple which negates the need for pre-cooking and caramelizing the fruit on the stovetop. Personally, I prefer it with fresh pineapple, but only if a nice ripe one can be found. If you use fresh, I have had success with the Cook’s Illustrated method of preparing the fruit, where you cook it with sugar for a bit to help it soften and release its juices, then drain it and return the juices to the pan to reduce. Pineapple releases much more liquid than apples so this is necessary if you don’t want it to be soggy.

Anyway, once the fruit is prepared to your liking, you arrange it in the pan and top with cake batter and bake, just like tarte Tatin. The cake part is traditionally a simple buttery yellow layer cake, often made with some pineapple juice, but I have yet to find a recipe that I really like for the cake itself. This time I tried Cook’s Illustrated’s version and it was terrible. I hate to admit this, but thus far I have been happiest with a mix! Next time I am going to try a genoise or other sponge type cake and see if I like that better. A baker friend also suggested that a baba au rhum-type base might be nice.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips! Now you talk about baba au rhum, I remembered eating a baba with pineapple and rum, fantastic, this I’m sure it will works as it is basically an overdue brioche. As with genoise, it might work, it’s more difficult to control as it is much more delicate. I agree with you using fresh pineapples.

Thanks, LindaW! I need to use harissa paste more often. It does go well with lamb (meatballs). Sometimes I spread it on bread/in a sandwich and everyone makes comments about the smell, which is garlicky. Just like their reactions to my smelly cheeses.

And Biondanonima, if I were to eat the crudite alone could I double dip? :cold_sweat:

1 Like

LOL, yes! I’ll be triple dipping when I dive into them tonight - DH doesn’t really care for dip (weirdo) so it’s ALL MINE!!!

On a related note, I found out on Sunday that I also need to use harissa paste more often. I made some a few weeks ago and it had gotten shoved to the back of the fridge. I grabbed it Sunday morning to add some spice to my deviled eggs and it had gone moldy. :frowning: Had to punt and use a bottled habanero sauce instead. Lesson learned - freeze leftover harissa or use it quickly!

Yes, harissa paste goes mouldy rather quickly.

Sorry you don’t get to eat leeks often. It’s about eur.2/kg here. So common and lowly everyone scoffs at it when eating out, but eats by the busload at home! (I don’t eat it at all. Have the same aversion just like others and their coriander aversion)

Interesting! Do you have the same problem with other alliums, or just leeks?

So far, besides leeks, just spring onions and scallions. Chives are OK.

1 Like

Ouch! Oh you must be a Korean monk in your last life :wink:
Onions and garlics isn’t a problem?

1 Like

Strangely, normal onions and garlic are fine to eat. Leeks and spring onions are slimy, besides, the taste and smell make me gag. However, if spring onions are crisp-fried then they are edible to me. Confusing I know.

A breakfast baby shower party for someone in the office left us with a ton of wonderful bagels leftover from Best Bagel (on 35th st). I rescued two of the whole wheat Everything- one for the freezer. Half of the other one i chopped up and turned into fantastic croutons. Those went ontop of a Big Salad of arugala, mixed greens, cucumber, lots of chopped radishes, cilantro, green onion, red bell pepper, hemp seeds, edamame, capers, and a quick creamy dressing from greek yogurt/dijon/vinegar/nutritional yeast/salt/pepper. Lots of chopping but i’m rather fast at that, quick very satisfying meal.
There’s a new packet of candied ginger and some fancy rooibos tea for dessert soon. (Confession: i eat dessert and have tea in bed while reading my book!)

2 Likes

Dry rubbed Jamaican jerk spice chicken legs and thighs on the Q . Romaine salad , oo , vin… dressing , and topped with sliced radish . Grilled bread with a little red bell pepper toped with a small slice of Manchego , and oo . Wine to drink . :wine_glass: Cheers

2 Likes

@biondanonima, latest issue of (American) Bon Appetit mag has a nice recipe for harissa paste. Maybe a good idea for when you have different crops of chilli peppers? I have tried to find it on their site but it’s not listed. Can make a screen shot if you want.

Cook once eat 3 times is a common thing in my house. Leftover lamb meatballs from the other day got chard and giant white beans added to them. Even better than the previous time.

There are still 6 balls left…

6 Likes

Inspired by Marios , and Gwneth P , book Spain a Culinary Road Trip . I will be making Grilled Chuletillas ( baby lamb rib chops ) seasoned with oo , red wine vinegar , sugar , lavender , and rosemary . Also Tortilla Espanola . Sliced white potatoes , onion , and eggs . Cooked in skillet then cut into wedges . Found some octopus tentacles at Costco from Spain . I will boil that until tender then grill . A splash of lemon good to go . Wine to drink .:wine_glass: Cheers . Posted this for Cuisine of the Quarter : Spain

3 Likes

I have that book! Which is funny because there just aren’t many vegetarian recipes in it… it was a lovely gift from a well meaning friend.
I watched that series with the most intense envy

Another salad night, decided to finally try this one from my neverending bookmarks of recipes to make.
I swapped in broccoli and didn’t want it raw, so i roasted it on high while cooking some french lentils. Used some kale that i massaged with a bit of the dressing after slicing into thin ribbons.
The tahini dressing is fantastic! This made a lot of it so there’s plenty for the leftover salad and then some.

I know cruising in the convertible auto in Spain . Eating and drinking , Nuff said , I would love that .:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Made some beef, cheese, and onion pierogi.

8 Likes

Those pierogi look juicy and delicious. I haven’t had breakfast yet and my mouth is watering!

1 Like

Ate the last of my home-made kimchi and used the liquid for fried rice. Veg was chard. Soy sauce braised Chicken thighs in a clay pot.

Not making kimchi til autumn. I just want to eat spring and summer vegs till then. Also, can’t really make a lot of new things because I’m away for a week 2 sundays from now so need to eat as much as possible what I have in the fridge.

No photo of dinner today but hope you like my new shirt! :smile_cat:

4 Likes

A simple dinner tonight - a BISO chicken breast lightly oiled and dusted with Penzey’s Bavarian Seasoning and some salt. Roasted at 425° until done. And I used my new Thermapen to check the temperature. Love this thing, especially since it was on sale!

The side was a simple salad of butter lettuce, radishes, carrots, baby Roma tomatoes, goat cheese, dried cranberries, and drizzled with Balsamic-Maple Vinaigrette.

Yeah. There was wine. It’s Friday, after all.

5 Likes