What’s for Dinner #20 - 04/2017 - Spring's calling: a movable feast

Defrosted some tempeh from the freezer, cut into cubes and then pan seared with a sprinkle of pimentón so the outside edges got crispy. At the same time in another pan was a pile of greens, last few baby bok choy chopped roughly and some chard with a little garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and a big handful of chopped olives.
Bowl of the wilty greens with tempeh on top. Modern hippie vegetarian ?
A few of the sesame mochi with ginger tea will be dessert

3 Likes

Sort of but there is no boiling and smashing . Take your knife and partially cut into a raw large potato and twist your knife to break off a chunks . I like to put the potato chunks ( thumb size ) into a 8’’ non stick pan with a little oo . Cover pan and cook on medium to somewhat tender . Then take off lid to fry . I like using the white new potatoes . :fork_and_knife:

2 Likes

Everything kimchi and it was gooooooooooood. I marinated chicken thighs in leftover kimchi liquid for a few hours and seared. Finished in the oven, basted several times with reduced marinade.

Homemade kimchi alongside.

8 Likes

Does kimchi get more mild the older it is…? Usually it is much too spicy for me but i had several different kinds while traveling that had that distinctive red (scary) look with chili flakes and yet they were not too hot. I’m debating making my own since i’ve had some difficulty to find vegetarian kimchi (and i’m cheap enough i don’t want to pay $15 for the small jar i did finally find…)

1 Like

Chicken legs and thighs dry rubbed with Piri Piri rub . Going to grill them . Broken potato in oo . Steamed asparagus . Wine to drink .:wine_glass: Cheers

1 Like

Sunday dinner, mackerel cooked with curry cream stuffed with garlic and red onion

Monday meal:
Cuttlefish marinated with lime juice + asparagus, Espelette pepper, spicy yuzu juice + capers + parmesan pasta

Yesterday meal: Finally something more French, pan fried calf liver with butter + onion confit with parsley and apple cider vinegar + mushroom with garlic and a splash of Xérès vinegar…

Starter was veal head paté…

and country paté (pork)…

of course with pickles!

8 Likes

I was planning chicken for tonight, but I forgot to take it out of the freezer, so I’ll probably punt with something that thaws quickly - shrimp and scallops are the contenders. I’m considering a quick saute of both with butter, garlic and preserved lemon, served with this Ottolenghi tahini cauliflower puree recipe I spotted in this month’s Bon Appetit. It is meant to be a sauce for a seared cauliflower steak but I think it will be good on its own as a side if I keep it thick.

1 Like

I like kimchi, but found it too spicy. Did yours you did it traditionally for the spicness?
Those dumplings of yours are delish!

Saw that in the DOTM thread, really lovely and would like to try it.

Maria, mine went to art school too, but would not cook anymore now! Haha

Tempted, would like to try it, you have a few wonderful pulled pork recipes!
I’m not very familiar with South American cooking, but your dishes make me curious!

Not sure I can find this in here, but this idea makes keep me thinking!

1 Like

it usually gets more funky, in my experience. some people just make it hotter but maybe the chili flakes always make it look scary! i like my homemade stuff funky, but the BF doesn’t love heat as much as I do so i don’t make it SUPER hot.

1 Like

As mentioned by Mariacarmen it does gets more pungent as it “ages”. But if you don’t use fish sauce and dried shrimp it should be OK. I don’t always use fish sauce and/or dried shrimp. Another ingredient you can add to the cure if not using fish sauce and dried shrimp is miso paste, which I have also experimented. And the Korean chili flakes are not extremely hot, btw. You can just use 1 spoon or to taste. The salt is important, however. With experience you will know the right balance to your own taste so just adjust the amount of sugar. The salt is needed for curing and preventing bacteria growth. The ginger and garlic are responsible for half the pungency :joy_cat:

It’s not so spicy even though it looks it. I accidentally added 4 table spoons of Korean chili flakes so that’s a lot but it wasn’t stupid spicy, say like Thai food. Normally I make it loosely based on David Chang’s recipes.

Nice meals. I like brawn/headcheese, especially in Germany, always the best brawn and they have several variations.

3 Likes

Got chicken mince last week when it was on sale but had no idea what to do with it so I froze it. Wanted to use up some of the tamarind pulp and it became a powerful sauce for the meatballs. It was getting late and dark I just quickly made a couple of photos.

There are onion, garlic, fish sauce, sugar and water in the sauce. I added quite a bit of sugar as the tamarind pulp was very sour.

Garlicky chard is sweet on its own.

6 Likes

Aw, man. That calf liver :heart_eyes:. And the mackerel… swoon.

1 Like

Store-bought kimchee doesn’t necessarily mellow out as it ages in your fridge, but it gets fizzier as it continues to ferment. Since you are straight-up veggie and not a pescetarian, it’s tough to find more than a few veggie options. Otherwise, you could try a few brands and find one that suits you (and line up a kimchee-loving friend for the cast-offs). Have you tried mul kimchee (literally “water kimchee”) that does not have any chili pepper? One of my (Korean) aunties can’t stand the heat and only heats mul kimchee. It is so refreshing and still gives you the pickle-y flavor you might crave without the burn.

1 Like

my last batch was a David Chang kimchi - love it!

2 Likes

Home late.
Damn month-end invoicing. :-/
Tuna Melts & Tater Chips.
And that’s it for Dinnah.

3 Likes

Thanks for the intel, this is super helpful! I have no issues with salt/garlic and i love the idea of using miso in there too. Seems like i need to make my own batch from all the great feedback here

1 Like

Thanks! Maybe one of the kimchi i had was mul kimchi, there was a delicious white kimchi at one meal that was the cabbage with daikon and did have a nice pickled flavor to it without being overly salty. (The package of pickled cabbage i bought at H mart was an epic fail! Crazy salty even after a good rinse and a flat flavor)

I got home from work 2 hours early and was able to cook. Smothered boneless pork chops over mashed cauliflower. Cold brewed peach tea to drink. Quick, easy and very tasty.

9 Likes

Beautiful! Cauliflower here too - and @Redheadcook, as a low-carber you’ll probably love this! I tried the Ottolenghi cauliflower puree with tahini and lemon, and lo and behold, it tastes a lot like hummus (only low carb!). It was delicious with garlicky shrimp and scallops, sauteed in tons of browned butter with preserved lemon. Garnished with fennel fronds.

8 Likes

That looks & sound so good. I’ve been missing hummus, all beans actually. Faux hummus and raw veggies for lunch tomorrow. Something to look forward to.