What’s for Dinner #20 - 04/2017 - Spring's calling: a movable feast

Ended up with 52° weather today - the day after a snowstorm. Go figure. Got out and about to Home Goods just so I wasn’t inside all weekend.

Dinner was chicken, asparagus and mushroom pizza, using Portland Pie Co. Shipyard Beer pie dough.

Chicken tenders seasoned with olive oil and Penzeys Tuscan Sunset augmented with Aleppo pepper and roasted. Asparagus tossed with olive oil and roasted. Mushrooms previously sauteed. Baked at 450° on the stone in the oven, and it came out pretty good.

Wine.

8 Likes

Have you tried the Explore Asian dried edamame spaghetti and fettucine yet? I think the latter may be mung bean. I like the edamame spaghetti best of their products. Very low carb, never give my glucose meter a blip. Your first pic is a great start!

First of all, YAY for you and me; I just got a flower spike on the first orchid ever to survive a season or two in my home! It must be a mutant to live in the dry heat.

Dinner tonight after planting pansies here and there was Kobe style burgers with hot sauce mayo, kosher dill slices, pink heirloom mater slices, baby lettuce mix and havarti cheese, home made savoy slaw on the side, no bun.

2 Likes

My email from ny times about “what to cook this week” mentioned asparagus with miso butter and that was that. I found some good looking asparagus (from mexico i think) and used my new mild miso mashed with “butter” , steamed the asparagus and schmeared the miso butter all over. Good stuff. A thick slice from my new loaf of pumpernickel became avocado toast alongside.

6 Likes

Never even heard of it. Will have to look around in the stores to see if I can find them. Thanks for the heads up for new stuff to try.

Tonight is wilted spinach (30 seconds too far) salad with hot bacon dressing for me. The carb eaters in the house had homemade mac 'n cheese.

9 Likes

Last night we went to our local Spanish cafe for the first 2017 Paella Nights. Croquettes, roasted veg salad, paella (seafood for me, meat for DH) flan with strawberry cream. Food was good and it was so nice spending time with neighbors, meeting new people, and support local business.

Tonight was halal style chicken, with saffron rice, served over romaine hearts. Details in the Chicken and rice thread.

8 Likes

$7 Steak Dinner!

Courtesy of the meat cutter in the family. The rice side had to be served separately.

5 Likes

That sounds wonderful!

2 Likes

http://www.explorecuisine.com/en/products/bean-pastas.html

Want to swap your meals? They all look good! Don’t have a sweet tooth but still have a soft spot for flan.

Yellow “strips” are the midribs removed from the chard from yesterday’s dumplings.

7 Likes

last night were burgers from what is being referred to as Australian Kobe-style wagyu ground beef - i know, i know, is there any such thing? no matter, the beef was good, super juicy, beefy. On TJ’s brioche buns with aged cheddar, tomatoes, shallots, lettuce and TJ’s spicy pickles.

also tried to make salt & vinegar roasted potatoes but they were not vinegary at all, even though i used more than the recipe called for. the little orange blob is their smoky mayo which wasn’t all that smoky either. nonetheless, potatoes are always welcome at our table.

6 Likes

that salad! i would give up carbs (for a night) for that!

1 Like

IMO the secret to making anything vinegary with actually drowning it in liquid vinegar is using vinegar powder, or a salt/vinegar powder blend like this: https://www.amazon.com/Gourmet-Fries-Seasonings-Bottle-Vinegar/dp/B005SSM64W/ref=sr_1_5_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1491264278&sr=1-5&keywords=powdered%2Bvinegar&th=1

BTW, that burger looks FIERCE.

4 Likes

I love potatoes . I am into broken potatoes now . Take your knife and cut part way down then give the knife a twist breaking off pieces . Makes a nice uneven edge that fries up beautiful .

2 Likes

Breakfast . A couple of mild Italian sausages grilled on the Q . Three egg cheese omelette . Toast and wine to drink . :wine_glass: Cheers

1 Like

Thanks re the burger!

re the salt&vinegar taters, the person who gave me the recipe swore by them!

hmm… vinegar powder, eh? i’m a bit intrigued. thanks!

kinda like crash hot potatoes?

After discovering crash hot potatoes my annual potato intake has gone up by at least 300%. Oh, and i’ve gotten every last friend and family member hooked on them too…!

1 Like

Pork Pernil may be my favorite pork preparation. A small (just under 2 lbs) pork shoulder roast marinated for 9 hours. Minced garlic/salt/oregano/white vinegar/olive oil went into the mortar and pestle, slits were made all over the pork, marinade went in slits and all over. Covered in foil, roasted slow and low, about 6 hours. Falling apart, with a crusty browned bark, tender and pink on the inside, and so garlicky! A splash of red habanero for a kick. On the side, I doctored up black beans (green habanero, sauteed crushed garlic, granulated garlic Maggi, s&l, and a splash of red wine vinegar) and served them with plain white rice, separate on one plate, and as Moros y Cristianos on the other (blended together, living in peaceful harmony!) A sprinkle of cotija over each. BF made a cuke/tomato/shallot/cilantro salad for us at my request.

7 Likes