What’s for Dinner #11 - 7/2016 - The Sum-Sum-Summahtime Edition!

Picked up some goodies at a local farm market
When I arrived home there was a surprise,
the second one it two weeks, at my door.

So dinner tonight will be roasted vegetables
spun into a puree so DH will think it is dip, and
thus will think he hit the lottery … crackers and dip
for dinner
mangos for dessert
EDIT: was just informed dip requires chips
going to make pita chips…now

5 Likes

Very clever with the “dip” idea! Although such gorgeous veggies seem a shame to blitz… Whatever, as long as it was tasty!
What an exciting package to get- be so careful cutting those slippery mangos, i swear i have decent knife skills but with mangos i often nick myself somehow.

1 Like

After discussing dates in another thread i realized it has been too long since i made myself some of these super fast sauteed dates. I just made five with maybe two tb olive oil, they landed ontop of a bowl with baby arugala and spinach and a good sized glob of plain greek yogurt. Flakey salt, lots of pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice in place of the additional oil. Side of radishes dipped in lemon pepper with a little salt added

1 Like

Dinner salad - homegrown deer’s tongue lettuce w/shaved fennel, roast pepitas, crumbled goat cheese, poached apricot chunks, and a citrus vinagrette. Broiled lemon garlic prawns in shell on the side.

Day before, rigatoni with morels, sea beans, garlic, lemon zest, and lots of butter.

Day day before - steak w/roast carrots and beets; pumpernickel crostini with braised radish, feta, and fennel tops.

We had “date week” kids being in overnight camp, and felt inspired to cook some cool things at home afterwards.

6 Likes

This salad with the prawns sounds so refreshing!

WFD: ~ Sichuanese Chopped Broccoli with Bison.

This is my riff on a recipe in Lucky Peach 101 Easy Asian with celery and beef. Last night’s Noodles with with the Fresh Peas and Fish variation was so delicious I had to go right back to the book to find another recipe that sounded as if we’d love it too. Peanut oil, FM broccoli, WF ground bison, spicy chili bean paste, ginger, dark soy sauce, Chinkiang vinegar are all in our larder at the moment. It’s a simple stir-fry served over noodles or rice, in this instance brown basmati.
~ Brown Basmati Rice.

It’s probably going to be quite enough for us tonight. Predicted weather for our area is Hot. For me that means a very small amount of food.

4 Likes

It was really tasty, and pretty. Of course we were hungry again a couple hours later!

1 Like

those sound really good! i’m going to try them at the next dinner party…

1 Like

Tuna poke over rice

7 Likes

Yup.
Sketti.
Sawce.
Cheese.
Roll.
Butter.
Wine.
Veggies?
Coleslaw.
Dinnah.

5 Likes

Oooh, sea beans (aka samphire) are one of my favorite ingredients ever…! Not so easy for me to find though.

Sounds like a whole string of great date week dinners!

Holy
Mother
Of
HOT!!!
Officially summer in NYC.
I worked late and had a larabar which took the edge off. Light late dinner of smacked cucumbers with cilantro, edamame, cubed smoked tofu and a few sliced radishes.

5 Likes

We had so much fun going out and trying grown up places. And then we couldn’t go home and cook the same old boring stuff. So we went a little crazy :slight_smile: We did not put edible flowers on our food at home though. Some things are a little over the top for the home cook.

The sea beans were from a found&foraged farmers market vendor in Seattle. I don’t think I’d find them in a regular store either.

1 Like

WFD: ~ Shrimp Saganaki.

~ Escarole w Rice Spanokorizo. More or less like this except subbing escarole for the spinach.

Two repeats for us tonight. Each was so delicious in its own right that they both deserve to be hauled out every now and then. I don’t know what Giorgio will bring home from the Farmers’ Mkt today but whatever it is we’ll use or save it. If there’s fruit we’ll have some for Afters.

1 Like

My favorite use of mango

Well, THAT C.O.R.N. dinner worked out quite well.

I stole a chicken tender from Buster to add to my dinner (well, actually, it’s MY chicken tenders, but I let Buster think they belong to him, since he tends to eat most of them).

Quick sauté of thin-sliced/chopped chicken in butter and olive oil, and I tossed in about 2/3 of a chopped tomato that was going bad.

Sauté, sauté, sauté, then added a cup of leftover sauteed fresh corn, green beans, and red bell peppers, and then splooshed in about a quarter cup of white wine.

Sauté, sauté, sauté until the winey-tomatoey sauce was slightly reduced, added about a cup of leftover spaghetti that I had reheated in some water in the microwave and drained, and then added about 2 Tbsp. of heavy cream with a bit of salt and pepper.

A quick sauté, sauté, sauté, put it all into a bowl. With a glass of wine alongside, it was dinner. AND it emptied out the fridge of all of the leftovers. Which I’ll promptly fill up tomorrow with more leftovers. :stuck_out_tongue:

And a gratuitous picture of Buster telling me this morning I wasn’t allowed to wash my hands while I got ready for work. Ornery little shit. :-/

8 Likes

I’m marinating chicken quarters , leg and thigh with a small head of garlic , a good amount of salt , and o.o that I put into food processor to puree . Then I added the needles of rosemary that I picked from my garden . I will grill the chicken . Peas and pearl onions cooked in butter along with canned cannellini beans that I will doll up .

3 Likes

Something we’ve had quite often this year, and a riff on a vietnamese noodle dish.

Cold rice noodles tossed with marinated and baked tofu strips, shredded lettuce, thin strips of bell pepper carrot and cukes, scallions, mint, all tossed with fish sauce. I usually buy this, but my local asian store was out so I made it this time (fish sauce, water, chili garlic sauce, sugar, and lime juice). Good stuff, and the kids eat a lot of veggies this way. TG for adventurous eaters!

I also discovered in a potluck months ago that this dish satisfies veggie and gluten free friends!

3 Likes

Well i finally ran out of cold grilled meats and salads tonight… Its just so hot to cook even with AC brick philly row homes are veritable pizza ovens once it hits 90. Did manage to use the first garden zuke and the sweet corn has been so goid this year not local yet but good wherever its from. Pork chops in tomato sauce with sweet corn, zucchini & linguini.

7 Likes

WFD: Giambotta de Zucchine. Zucchini; pancetta, onions; garlic, RPF, tomatoes; potatoes; S & P, chicken broth, basil. An Italian vegetable stew. I like the hit of porky flavor from the pancetta, and Giorgio likes it more soupy than it ought to be. We both love grated fresh Pecorino Romano over top.

Last night’s FM COTC was our first of the season and remarkably rich tasting. Beautiful full kernels and sweet corn milk. I might cook the remaining 2 cobs tonight and simply serve them on top of the Giambotta, still on the cob. Tomorrow I hope He’ll take a short trip up the pike to our closest farm (Connors in Danvers) for more local corn and their luscious strawberries. Both the best in the area AFAIC.

6 Likes