What makes you feel better when you have a cold?

What makes me feel better is a large bowl of Beef Pho or Chicken Pho. Settles my body and allow me to sleep and recover. But as I recover I will make a pot of Chinese four herb soup with pork bones.

But anything hot will comfort you.

With a cold and exhausted beyond belief yet my stomach is ok i make my now signature ā€œiā€™m sick and feel like $hitā€ soup- stupid easy, super fast, and ingredients can be found at any nyc corner bodega: one 20oz container original v8, half a can of drained rinsed white beans or chickpeas, juice of one lemon, and grated fresh ginger (always in my freezer), heat together and blend or not.
I also make and drink lots of miso broth for both a cold and upset stomach.
+1 for the hot tea lemon honey rum combo

My rather odd yet soothing craving when sick that reminds me of childhood is making a packet of instant brown sugar oatmeal but with lots of extra water which i then sip from a mug for a fragrant kind of oatmeal broth soup thingā€¦

Ginger seems to have a settling effect on the stomach. My mom would pour it in a glass and let some of the fizz dissipate before she gave it to us. Now I prefer it with a little Canadian Club :grin:

1 Like

I usually donā€™t keep ginger ale in the house. Does ginger beer have the same comforting effect?

Good question! I think it would for me :grin:

This reminded me that when I was little my mom would make some sort of warm drink with a packet of Jell-O. I loved it at the time, but now Iā€™m not sure I could stomach it.

Here ya go:

thanks for the link - good read, Iā€™m going to give it a try this winter!

I remember this subject coming up on the other board.

My answer is the same.

Pastina w/ butter and cheese.

Although, if Iā€™m really stuffed up, a nice spicy Mexican meal with strong margaritas helps clear me up too.