What kind of potato would you serve with braised brisket? Please don’t say potato pancakes

I am too late for this, but I made a potato kugel today which would go well with brisket. Since the kugel bakes for a few hours, there is no last minute effort. I grated in a FP. I’ve read that if you use gold potatoes, you don’t have to peel them. Soaking in water is optional (alternatively just work quickly). Posting because I believe it meets the criterea.

2 Likes

It does and I thought of it. I’d love to make that. But, in the end, post gum surgery, I don’t heave that much stamina. I ended up with frozen latkes!

6 Likes

I make Jewish brisket for all the holidays in our house. What I like to do is cut up Yukon Gold potatoes and carrots into large chunks and add them about 45 minutes before I expect the brisket to be done. This allows the vegetables to be infused with the braising liquid. You can cut the carrots into smaller pieces or add them earlier if you want them to be equally soft as the potatoes.

Obviously you don’t get a lot of contrast in flavor or texture this way but it seems to be the way my family likes it.

3 Likes

My grandma did that. She sliced the potatoes though. They were so good! I loved the cold the next day!

1 Like

the frozen TJ latkes are actually really good if you ask me, just sayin.

1 Like

My mother would serve it with simple boiled potatoes that I would mash with my fork and add a little gravy.
I would either do Varenyky or Roasted Potatoes.
If you have enough gravy then a small baked red potato would go rather nicely.

I would say mashed or roasted cause I’m a gravy guy, but just because it hasn’t been mentioned, what about smashed potatoes?

Throw a small tater per person into the pot for the last thirty minutes of cook time.
Meanwhile, prepare a cookie sheet with foil and lightly spray with oil.
When the brisket, and potatoes are done place the potatoes on the baking sheet and using a heavy glass, lightly mash each one flat leaving the skin and sharp edges intact. Lightly brush with butter, olive oil, or spray and salt and pepper or season as you will and place under a broiler for just a minute or two to crisp.
A little crumbled bacon would be good also. (I won’t tell.)

1 Like

My first thought and choice would be mashed, but I also think scalloped or au gratin potatoes would not be amiss.

How about smashed potatoes? Boil small potatoes until done. line on a pan and smash them with a fork to create texture on the top. cover with garlic infused olive oil (or butter or mix) and roast for a bit at 425 to get some texture on the smashed potatoes.

1 Like

If you want something crispy that is less work than latkes, you could do these:

1 Like

Fondant potatoes

Fondant Potatoes by Joel

2 Likes

yes! We call those “smashed potatoes.” They’re very good. I like the name, crash hot.

I was thinking along those lines too but was wondering about the gravy competing with the scalloped or au gratin potatoes.
I love those flavours on their own.

1 Like

I’ve never had fondant potatoes !
Those look so good thanks for posting the recipe Claus.

1 Like

Hi Daniel,
What a great idea and such a timesaver.
Welcome Back !
Olunia

Your idea of smashed potatoes has gained a few followers:
@johntannerbbq, @stockholm28
and me!

1 Like

You’re welcome.

Probably my favourite way of having potatoes.

Chef John has this variant of them called lemon pepper potatoes - they are also worth trying (they are fantastic too):

Video: Chef John Lemon Pepper potatoes - fondant like potatoes

3 Likes

I’d be willing to give it a try for sure - a lot of savory yum I’m thinking.

Those look good too.
Is Chef John the same Chef that cooks out of his Motor Home?
His voice sounds very familiar to me.

Please do and report back,
I’m very curious now.