What is your favorite way to cook eggs?

And, if you happen to have duck fat/truffle at home, you can add it to the egg in the cling film!

2 Likes

I donā€™t care for the following:
Poached, scrambled, soft boiled in the shell, sunny side up. I just donā€™t see the point. Or raw, unless itā€™s incorporated into, say, mayonnaise or Caesar salad.
Otherwise, I like eggs a whole lot- maybe even love them.

1 Like

Scrambled, with chives or poached in vinegar water are the two favourites at the moment, but love them all ways. Best fast food out there!

Um, given your rather exhaustive list of how you do not care for eggs, it sounds like you actually donā€™t like them, and maybe even hate them.

4 Likes

I havenā€™t made these yet, but they were mentioned at least twice in the Kleo series on Netflix, which made me curious.
Eggs in Mustard Sauce.

2 Likes

Dislike is a shorter list than like :wink:
Dislike:
Anything egg with cheese, except for quiche. Just donā€™t ask me why.
Snotty white on fried or boiled egg
Fertilised eggs, Iā€™ve seen them in Vietnam, basically a baby chicken still in the egg. Just didnā€™t look appetising at all (I didnā€™t try it, so maybe Iā€™m wrong)
Sweet, like pavlova, merinque etc

Like:
Egg curry and hard boiled eggs in satay sauce or belado sauce and almost all SE Asian & indian way
Savoury egg custard (like hor mok pla)
Scrambled eggs with bacon, onion, tomato and chives scrambled in
Warm soft boiled egg (dislike them cold) and cold hard boiled egg (dislike them.warm)
Fried, devilled, smoked

1 Like

Scott - thanks for posting. That guy (Brian Lagerstrom) has a lot of really quite good instructional videos. A couple of my daughters sometimes send me links of his channel and say, ā€œCan we do this if I come home this weekend?ā€. (Most recently his Chicago style deep dish pizza dough)

Cold soft boiled eggs are not something Iā€™ve ever heard of or even contemplated.
:frowning:

2 Likes

I canā€™t think of any way I do not like eggs.

My favorite is sunny-side up or very light over-easy. I like a lot of warm runny yolk and donā€™t mind a bit of uncooked white (I donā€™t shoot for undercooked white, but donā€™t care if it sometimes happens).

My two favorite ways to eat are to smash them up into 5 or 6 crumbled pieces of bacon, or smash them up and spread onto buttered toast. Or combine the two methods.

When vacationing in the Keys, Conch Eggs Benedict is a favorite.

In the Army, I always got scrambled with ground ham, mushrooms, and cheese. This old lady line cook got tired of me coming back 3 times every day (because they had a ā€œruleā€ that you could only get two eggs at a time) and just started dumping out six eggs on the griddle when sheā€™d see me in line. Iā€™d put this scramble on buttered toast and top with the milk-flour sausage gravy. Yum.

6 Likes

Yeahā€¦ he is really good with breads. The English muffins in the vid I posted were flat out the best Iā€™ve ever had - on my first try.

Howā€™d the pizza turn out?

1 Like

Really good. I made it again a week later.

Soft-boiled as in 6-minute eggs (well honestly a bit more). Like you get marinated in soy sauce.

Not soft-boiled as in 3-minute eggs that you eat in the shell.
Nor like the kind you get in kopitiams served hot.

2 Likes

Scrambled, cooked and served in a breakfast enchilada with hash browned potatoes at Loulaā€™s in Whitefish, MT. In a mushroom, jack cheese and chive omelet made at home with multigrain seed toast. V-8 juice to drink. In a homemade spinach and mushroom quiche. I loved soft boiled eggs as a kid but one case of a bad egg turned me off of runny eggs for life.

1 Like

Nope, youā€™re wrong.
Semi-hard cooked in ramen, fried as long as the whites are not snotty, quiche, omelets, egg salad, meringue, custard, deviled, pickled, tamago, frittatas, huevos rancheros, and Iā€™m sure there are more that I canā€™t think of.
Why you pick on me, ipse? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

3 Likes

Theres a place near me that does a fried green tomato Benedict. It rocks.

5 Likes

One of my favourite spots does a fried green tomato BLT (no egg, but an egg would be good on it)

3 Likes

Kinda on a harissa kick, so shakshuka is my latest egg fave. Still, LOVE an omelette, or any other way you could make them. Not aware of a way to prep (save for balut) eggs I donā€™t like. Never had balut; but no hurry to try one.

Today, this:

4 Likes

@ScottinPollock - I made this eggs Benedict today. Iā€™d made English muffins yesterday using that other recipe of his you posted recently (in the ā€œdo you bake breadā€ thread - that one is all hand-folding vs. stand mixing here, all skillet cooking without the oven baking time), and was looking for a way to use them up.

The muffins had excellent flavor and I really like the fried crust, had a nice pull, but were very uniform (bready) inside, without nooks and crannies. I think I likely over-folded the dough.
Watching the video posted above, note when he pulls one of the muffins apart, it also looks like it might be more regular bread-like inside.

The EB overall turned out very nice. I only changed the Hollandaise by adding one more yolk. His suggested ratio of butter/yolks, 10 oz/3 yolks, seemed a bit heavy on the butter, just going on old memory, I donā€™t make it often.

Note for anyone following Lagerstromā€™s method for the poached eggs, extra large eggs take considerably longer than suggested, a bit over 4 minutes, using his suggested 185 degree water bath.

2 Likes