What is your favorite way to cook eggs?

Did you watch the vid? His method is best I’ve used (literally foolproof). And try to use really fresh eggs.

If I’m doing the cooking, soft scrambled with cheese, or hardboiled for egg salad or deviled eggs. I can make a pretty good quiche as well.

If I’m eating out, over medium which I don’t seem to be able to do at home.

I like them any number of ways, but the most frequent around here is fried, usually to over medium. Sometimes I’m in the mood for scrambled (with or without cheese). Sometimes poached. My favorite though is reserved for Christmas - quiche with ham, Jarlsburg, and mushrooms.

I get really fresh eggs. Like, day old if I want to. I have tried so many “fool-proof” methods it’s not even funny. I’m not kidding. It’s not even funny anymore at this point. Here’s what ended my decade-long fail fairly recently:

The eggs were super-fresh. Cracked them into the bowl. One yolk broke. The whites never settled up. I just tossed them in the sink & had fried eggs instead. #fuckthatnoise

1 Like

If ya make 'em I’ll eat 'em.

Hmm. That method seems like a really good way to get vinegar flavored eggs.

I have had success with the Arzak method from way back on A Cook’s Tour: line a ramekin with cling film. I spritz it with oil to be safe. Then, crack in an egg, bring the sides up, and knot the top. Place in simmering water for about 5 minutes. Then cut off the knot and plate your egg. Even if you do pop the yolk, generally it’ll still be somewhat runny because of the way it’s contained in the cling film.

That being said, a fried egg with a runny yolk fulfills the needs of pretty much all poached egg requirements, so, do what you like!

1 Like

I’m going to watch over you, so you can make them! And you won’t need me anymore.

1 Like

Awww. That warms the cockles of my heart. The sub-cockles, even <3

1 Like

I did, I yelled at him the whole time to turn his pot handles around.
I mostly fix over easy eggs, although I have become quite fond of soft boiled.

2 Likes

This question is like asking me to pick my favorite child (assuming I had children).

I like eggs all ways.

• Scrambled
  • Boiled
  • Fried
  • Poached
  • Steamed
  • Raw
  • Baked
  • Basted
  • Shirred
  • Coddled
  • Fermented
  • Pickled
  • Deviled
  • Preserved (i.e. Thousand Year Old)
  • Brined
  • Sauce or condiment (i.e. mayonnaise, aioli, Hollandaise)
  • Ice cream :smile:

Eggs are like nature’s multivitamin. There is no bad way to eat an egg.

6 Likes

Sunny side up

1 Like

HA! Well I definitely have a sweet tooth.
I also love making custards–creme patisserie and creme anglaise are what I’m working to perfect these days. The thickening power of yolks is pretty fascinating to me.

2 Likes

That truffle and duck fat seasoning is so darn delicious.

for a really ez way to make poached eggs that won’t look amazing but should check the boxes of being cooked outside and soft inside and usable for grits, benedict, toast whatevs, you can put a quarter cup or so of water in a coffee mug, then crack the egg in there so the yolk doesn’t break, then put a saucer or small plate on top, then microwave it for about 45 seconds to a minute (more or less depending on your microwave and the mass of the total package in there). Anyways, it works.

Personally I like sunny side up better but lots of ways to enjoy this versatile ingredient!

2 Likes

^^This^^ FOREVER AND EVER. Breakfast is ruined if there’s egg white snot on the plate.

3 Likes

This is how I do it. In a ramekin or custard cup, but same idea.

1 Like

I must be in the minority, because I do not have this aversion at all. I like natto, also.

Soft boiled.

Sous vide at about 62-63C for about 45mins. Just cooked whites, and still runny, egg yolks. Sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper on top.

If you break the egg, yolk will run out on your toast. Yum.

Red beet eggs, a local tradition.

Coddled - bought two coddlers this year just to make them.

Any variations on eggs in purgatory and shakahuka.

Crispy fried eggs.

“Dippy eggs” - over-easy eggs for dipping toast into.

1 Like