What is your favorite way to cook eggs?

3 Likes

Theres a place near me that does a fried green tomato Benedict. It rocks.

5 Likes

One of my favourite spots does a fried green tomato BLT (no egg, but an egg would be good on it)

3 Likes

Kinda on a harissa kick, so shakshuka is my latest egg fave. Still, LOVE an omelette, or any other way you could make them. Not aware of a way to prep (save for balut) eggs I don’t like. Never had balut; but no hurry to try one.

Today, this:

4 Likes

@ScottinPollock - I made this eggs Benedict today. I’d made English muffins yesterday using that other recipe of his you posted recently (in the “do you bake bread” thread - that one is all hand-folding vs. stand mixing here, all skillet cooking without the oven baking time), and was looking for a way to use them up.

The muffins had excellent flavor and I really like the fried crust, had a nice pull, but were very uniform (bready) inside, without nooks and crannies. I think I likely over-folded the dough.
Watching the video posted above, note when he pulls one of the muffins apart, it also looks like it might be more regular bread-like inside.

The EB overall turned out very nice. I only changed the Hollandaise by adding one more yolk. His suggested ratio of butter/yolks, 10 oz/3 yolks, seemed a bit heavy on the butter, just going on old memory, I don’t make it often.

Note for anyone following Lagerstrom’s method for the poached eggs, extra large eggs take considerably longer than suggested, a bit over 4 minutes, using his suggested 185 degree water bath.

2 Likes

His dough is too dry. If you want nooks and crannies, you need batter. English muffin recipes that have a dough you can shape by hand produce tasty bread rolls.

See for example Peter Reinhart’s recipe:

His first English muffin recipe in BBA sucked :joy:. Just straight white rolls. He got it right with this one.

My favorite though is Stella Parks’ recipe from her book. I don’t like the version on Serious Eats as much. Too much honey. The whole wheat is nice, though.

2 Likes

I too loved the butter fried crust, but actually did mine in the stand mixer (I’m lazy), and finished them in the oven after frying. I had pretty good nooks and crannies. Did you use a SD starter or yeast for the preforment (I used instant yeast).

I didn’t try his hollandaise as I have my own blender recipe I really like. I did like his poaching method (which came out good with large eggs), but I recently stumbled on to this method which I’ll try next time as it looks really good (if they indeed don’t taste like vinegar).

2 Likes

This week we had very soft scrambled eggs mixed with a pinch of salt and a splash of Mexican crema and cooked on very low heated in salted butter. We served them with buttered English muffins (2 cups of AP flour, 1 cup of buttermilk, 1cup of starter, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 2 rounded teaspoons of turbinado sugar. Rise on a cookie sheet sprinkled with corn meal until about 1 inch tall. Cook on low heat on an ungreased griddle.). We love eggs each and every way. Ever had a puffy omelette with strawberry jam?

1 Like

Thanks Scott. I used a yeast pre-ferment poolish because I haven’t had SD starter on hand for years. I used the one of his methods with all hand-mixing. Next time I’ll try the one using the stand mixer and see what it gets me (I prefer this anyway, usually) - this is the one that has you doing a bit of frying but then finishing in the oven.

On poaching, her comments at the end were helpful about undercooking a bit and using the oven to keep warm. I’m normally making (like this morning), EB for 5 to 8 people. Many or most poached eggs methods pretend that you’ll only ever be making 2-4 eggs. But when I’m making EB for 5 people, I’m cooking 10 eggs min (2 EB per person, if they’re hungry).

Edit - maybe I need to specifically search out “large batch” (etc.) eggs Benedict recipes.

Thanks Shelly. I’m just getting started on making EMs, but this looks a lot like some of the more “batter-dough” recipe I’ve seen.

1 Like

Oh, man! I wish I could have filmed husband’s response to those eggs, but he wouldn’t let me.

Not a huge fan of snot, but I am increasingly a huge fan of food cooked by someone else, including most egg preparations.

My favorite way for me to cook them for me, is over easy. But there is no cooking and waiting for others.

3 Likes

I like boiled eggs with a pinch of salt, and pepper garnished with chopped onion and coriander. and a mint sauce. delicious combination.

1 Like

soft, scrambled, with a bit of cream at the end.

No snotty egg whites! But sunny side up with toast for the runny yolks, or scrambled. Scrambled with add-ins (except for lox/smoked salmon - that goes on a bagel, thank you). Strangely, I don’t like omelets, but I like scrambled eggs with the omelet stuff scrambled in. I have no idea why.

Go figure: I like Egg McMuffins. I like them better when I make them at home, though.

3 Likes

BTW… how did you cut your muffs? With a knife or split with a fork? I was told long ago to never use a knife.

I did the first one with a fork, but it was a real hassle (as in, forked it about 20 times around perimeter and it still didn’t want to tear apart), so I went to knife for the rest. I just didn’t have the time to keep fiddling with them while trying to cut and sear the Canadian bacon, make the Hollandaise and eggs.

1 Like

We just had breakfast tacos. The eggs were filled with cheese, specifically the rustic cut Mexican cheese. You can badmouth preshredded cheese, and usually I would join in, but this stuff is quite good IMO. We also used the HEB Carb Sense 45 calorie tortillas. Again, diet tortillas (actually anything other than a freshly made real tortilla, preferably using manteca) are usually just cardboard, but charred a bit by draping them over a gas burner, these are passably good. The topping was Herdez guacamole salsa. The eggs were cooked in a carbon steel crepe pan with a little peanut oil. When flipped, the cheese did not stick at all.

1 Like

I’m the same way about omelets and prefer my stuff scrambled in - usually peppers & mushrooms, sometimes cheese, always herbs. No snotty whites everrrrr.

5 Likes

crème pâtissière :grin:

2 Likes