What is our group identity here on Hungry Onion?????

How was the name Hungry Onion derived in the first place?

3 Likes

^THIS!^ I’ve been wanting to know!

1 Like

My first thought, too, along those lines.

You don’t want to know.

Aromatics?

Just to throw it out there, “hecho” (pronounced ay-choh) is the Spanish past participle for “to make” and means made, completed, or ready wear. My mind isn’t working tonight, perhaps someone can link that to HO to make a pun or something.

Edit: Hechos means doings or acts.

2 Likes

You can call me HOFUNIONONION for all I care. As long as I am able to take a peek into your kitchens, follow your instructions on how to make a great dish, whats in a name?

1 Like

I hope that’s not a route we have to go down. I spend a lot of time on another (non-food) board which is also not-for-profit. It relies on donations to keep going, together with some kick-backs from the likes of Amazon if folk buy through the forum’s link. But, as a fund-raiser and to develop a community, they’ve periodically sold shirts and badges. It has always caused more discontent than it’s been worth. Wrong design, too expensive, paid but never received - you think of a whinge and there’s been folk with it.

1 Like

Hello HOFUNONION!! You are welcome in my kitchen anytime. (Be warned, sometimes I cook shirtless)

1 Like

Is that the exact conundrum that Chow was faced with? How to manage growth with the growing costs for the host or service provider? While you say you hope that’s not a road you want to go down, what is the alternative? Besides having one person independently finance the fun for the rest of us? That model proved inadequate in Leff’s case.

Exactly. I don’t think a lot of people appreciate the fact that we are beneficiaries.

2 Likes

Exactly CK, this is where that Jr guy seemed to be in the minority on that other site. He always understood and appreciated the fact the purpose of that site, was revenue. Eventually (hopefully) this site will reach a tipping point to where decisions will need to be made to offset the costs involved in running and maintaining it. Then what?

1 Like

It’s the product selling that causes the rancour on my other site. It was always intended as a community builder rather than revenue builder - and has never really succeeded on either count. The site has been going since 2002 - nearly 1.8 million posts since then by 57k posters. As I mentioned, donations are the main source of income - and we carry no advertising (not that I would object to that, as such). These funding decisions were taken by the guy who originally started the site and have been carried on by the succeeding company trustees.

FWIW, my comment was intended to be entirely facetious.

Do we need to get tested?

1 Like

Depends on where you’ve been.

1 Like

The failure rate, tho

I was an eGer first, then added CHer Jumped ship to MRer and briefly an OAer. Now I find myself hanging out with a bunch of HOers. DFers was fun but too limiting although i learned a bunch about chocolate there. There were a few other flirtations along the way but i’ll stick around here and see what developes. Peace and Carrots to all

3 Likes

Maybe there will be a Peace Carrot site soon.

1 Like

I hadnt realised there was a conflict situation with the carrots. I suppose it’s those French Chanterays causing trouble again.

2 Likes