What have you been watching lately?

Yeah, first season was quite different from the rest, but there were some gems, Miriam Margolyes as the Spanish infanta among them.

Don’t forget about Blackadder Back and Forth. I don’t know how Percy does it, but I feel empathy for him and despise him at the same time.

DVD’s? Nah, I’m sure you’ll find everything online at this point.

1 Like

Just watched it, and really enjoyed it!

This was cool. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11116912/

Huge fan of Rare Imports, too. A xmas tradition @casa lingua is that, and Bad Santa.

1 Like

Double feature - 35mm

Cheerwine, frozen junior mints, popcorn

1 Like

I LOVE Rare Imports. Haven’t seen the new ‘Troll’ yet (it’s a Netflix thing, so I’m not too optimistic, but…)

A different, earlier take on the concept is ‘Trollhunter’ (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1740707/) which I strongly recommend.

Also, I just got back from ‘Violent Night’, starring David Harbour, the sheriff from ‘Stranger Things’, as a disillusioned Santa who has to save a rich family from terroists.

Yes, it’s Die Hard with Santa as Bruce Willis. It’s exactly what you think it is. If the idea of St. Nick blowing up a guy with a grenade and saying “Ho ho holy shit!” sounds funny to you, go see yourself some mindless violence. I dug it.

I ALSO saw Robert Altman’s “3 Women”, staring Shelly Duval and Sissy Spacek in a very odd, VERY 70’s psycho-drama. Wednesday night is a screening of Jodorowski’s “The Holy Mountain”, which I’ve heard all sorts of interesting things about, but have never seen. It should be an experience.

3 Likes

Oh, that is a FANTASTIC double feature. I miss the smaller LA theaters that run things in 35mm. One local theater here still has film projection equipment, both 35mm and 70mm. I need to see if I can still catch Bardo on film.

1 Like

Started Yellowstone 3 days ago.

I loved visiting Bozeman in 2018- nice to see it in some episodes!

3 Likes

Oh yeah, watched Trollhunter a while ago, too! I didn’t know that Troll was a Netflix production, and it certainly wasn’t detrimental to the end product. Norwegian humor FTW.

I will probably pass on Violent Night. The South Park xmas epis are also a tradition in this heathen household.

2 Likes

I’m with you. I’ll trade off giants seats and screens for that any day. The new Beverly which showed that double feature has the shining as a midnight show for those that can’t get enough. Enjoy Bardo !

Ah, the new bev. Miss that one. The place in my town feels a lot like The Silent Movie Theater on Fairfax, back when it used to house Cinefamily. I left LA just a few months before that whole organization imploded. Real shame.

Alas Bardo on 35mm was only for a week run and I’ve missed it. Ah well. I’ll have to catch it on streaming.

Where are you Sacto ?

Streaming not quite the same but the price is usually nice

The silent theatre is now brain dead cinema I haven’t been since when u went

https://studios.wearebraindead.com/screening/11/0

The newish academy museum of motion pictures Fairfax and Wilshire does a ton of screenings - it’s a really valuable membership for a good price.

The vintage candy and soda selection and free popcorn for kids at the new bev is a winner tho for us.

Sacramento, yes. The new rep theater here is The Dreamland Cinema, which is literally in the converted basement of an old pre-war house, and seats a whopping 24 people.

The only other indie type theater we have is The Tower (now owned by Angelika Cinema). It’s a historic building and landmark, and the namesake of the late lamented Tower Records, which opened its original location across the street. That’s where Bardo was playing.

Cool to have those options. Enjoy Sunday !

I’m going to watch Emancipation , although husband says he will not because of the whole slap thing .

Whenever I see the picture of “Peter” , I wonder why so few mention keloids , which are mentioned here, but I understand that is not the point.

In the interest of making this on Hungry Onion topic, I’m referencing should be famous enslaved chefs and gardeners

A work in progress, at least until it’s too late to edit.

4 Likes

LoneStar - The movie. Whites, Blacks, Hispanics down by the border in modern day. All trying to get along. Too many memories for all involved. A Hellava a movie. Two thumbs up.

4 Likes

It’s such a good movie. It’s been ages since I watched it but I used to use it for teaching decades ago (really good for introduction to film editing). Love the work of John Sayles.

2 Likes

For those of you who watched “Cheers” Kirstie Alley died today (12-5-22).
The news reports stated she was 71 and lost a brief battle with cancer.

2 Likes

Die Hard 4.

2 Likes

Watching Bottle Shock again . Love the story.
I have been to Chateau Montelena. Photographed the famous bottle of that 73 Chardonnay. And on another note .
Stag’s Leap Cabernet Sauvignon won also 1976 Paris tasting.

5 Likes