What have you been watching lately?

Thanks. I’ve read some rave reviews indeed, will start watching soon. I really loved The Mandalorian though, seen both seasons twice already. Is Andor better?

IMHO it is clearly better than Obi Wan or Boba Fett. I’m ALMOST done with Andor’s first season. It’s at LEAST as good as, if not better than, Mando S1.

1 Like

coming soon

based on a true story!

‘Cocaine Bear’ Trailer: The Bear Who Did a Ton of Blow and Then Ate Everybody (thedailybeast.com)

1 Like

Ha. Literally just shared that with almost everyone I know! Looks brill.

This review is great. https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/nov/30/cocaine-bear-trailer-2023-wildest-film-everything-and-more?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other&fbclid=IwAR0gkmsg5L2VT5NqPqe56QYpEzB3oXw_q4WNlOX66XVojm9n6l3aNuSkhQ8

I’m in.

The inclusion of “White Lines” and Acclaimed Character Actress Margo Martindale ™ and we enter “Shut up and take my money!” territory. Opening weekend FOR SURE.

1 Like

Stay tuned for Weed Wolf!

1 Like

Weed Wolf would just be a big dog begging for belly rubs and hot dogs. “Chase down a moose? Nah man… I’m SOOOO comfy right now…”

1 Like

Haha, don’t you know it! I live with those dogs! Just don’t leave the KFC unattended!

this one seems relevant

There is not enough THC in the world to make that ok.

1 Like

It’s truly awful. I’m sorry.

1 Like

Movies (I watch a lot but these are some recent ones that I’ve decided to mention):
Aftersun (Charlotte Wells, 2022): Quite possibly one of the best films I’ve seen. This year and full stop.
The Automat (Lisa Hurwitz, 2021)
Tár (Todd Fields, 2022) * I have thoughts
Triangle of Sadness (Ruben Östlund, 2022) (there’s a few food scenes there for you all)
The Wonder (Sebastián Lelio, 2022)

Television:
I’ve just started watching Wednesday on Netflix and I’m enjoying it. We’ll see.
Also watching:
Taskmaster (one of the best shows ever and this series is… * Chef’s Kiss *
Daisy May Cooper’s latest Am I Being Unreasonable?
The Good Fight
Romesh Ranganathan: The Cynic (stand up-- love him)
Rick & Morty

Need to start on next series of:
Reservation Dogs
Rutherford Falls
Dead to Me
Atlanta

OK, now I’m overwhelmed, especially since I know I’ve seen so much more and am looking forward to watching even more. Yikes.

1 Like

Reservation Dogs was one of my favorite shows this year.

2 Likes

Haven’t seen it yet, but that’s the guy from Normal People, Paul Mescal, a wonderful series. He is being tipped as the next James Bond! The girl from Normal People also plays in ‘Where the crawdads sing’, which was a nice movie.

I’ll also definitely want to watch Tar, as a close friend is a professional - female- violinist.

recent film additions:

The Banshees of Innershin - Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson are absolutely brilliant in a story of two men in a tiny Irish island village. A disagreement takes some truly shocking turns.

In my initial post in the thread I made reference to The Mafu Cage, a 1978 production with Carol Kane and Lee Grant. The two play sisters, and have a very “Whatever Happened to Baby Jane” sort of relationship, with the mentally fragile but artistic Kane being coddled by, while terrorizing her older sister (Grant). The “Mafus” of the title are monkeys kept by Kane as she draws them, to illustrate their dead primatologist father’s book. Kane grows more and more unstable as Grant desperately tries to keep her sister safe while making a life for herself. It doesn’t go well. Absolutely fabulous performances. TW- animal harm (simulated, no animals were hurt or mistreated during the filming)

I also went to see the new Black Panther. I LIKE the MCU generally, and I’ve been fine with their quality and scope as a whole over the run, but the cracks are really showing. Wakanda Forever deals with T’Challa’s passing in the best way it could, and how those who come after him must fill his roles is a worthy theme for the film. The actual answers it comes up with, though, are kinda shrugworthy. The addition of Namor (The Submariner) was a neat re-imagining of the character, though a hand-waving reference to ‘mutants’ (because those exist in the MCU now!) to explain the winged feet still felt rather cheesy. MCU movies always have to serve two masters: their own story, and providing grist for the franchise plot. They tend to fail when they largely forget their own story in order to establish some big franchise plot concept. The last Dr. Strange suffered hugely because the movie seemingly forgot it was supposed to be about Dr. Strange, and not a two hour lesson in what the multi-verse is. Wakanda Forever is obviously laying a lot of groundwork for whatever the next big bad threat is coming, but it loses its own purpose while doing so.

2 Likes

I cannot wait to see the Brendan Gleeson/Colin Farrell movie. In Bruges was an instant classic.

1 Like

It’s absolutely wonderful, and I can’t recommend it enough, but in fairness to those more faint of heart, I feel I should put a warning: There is explicit violence in the film. Not a lot of it, and it is not gratuitous by any means, but it’s there and it’ll be front and center. It’s enough that some folks might want to take a pass on it. I would urge them not to. But it’s there. So now you know.

2 Likes

I mean… I keep forgetting just how violent “In Bruges” is, too, because I get so distracted by all the humor.

If you don’t mind violence and like strong female characters I implore you to watch “Becky.”

1 Like

'tis the season:

1 Like

Ooh! I have the box set. The first season is def the weakest, but then it just gets better and better.

Thanks for the reminder! Altho come to think of it… I don’t have a DVD player anymore :sob: