What have you been watching lately?

Maybe I should have left my self deleted post about GOT up.I was somewhat embarrassed about my take on it.

I just put it back.

Patrick Swayze to the rescue this week.

Road House
Next of Kin
Point Break
Ghost
Dirty Dancing

Hard to pick a favorite with this guy.

1 Like

yes of course i did. agree about the thin plot.

1 Like

Ok I got planes trains and automobiles and this too

2 Likes

Uber classic! So many scenes are very easily remembered.

I checked out Drinkmasters. Despite their use, and abuse, of the word ‘mixologist’ it was an enjoyable low stakes tour of cocktail trends
Rewatched all of Kubrick’s films. A podcast that I enjoy has been going through all of his work and I wanted to update my memories
Along these lines, there is a series of filmed essays that discuss classic cinema (the first episode ruminates on the summer Jaws was released) called Voir. Each episode is stand alone and well written.

3 Likes

Open Range w/Robert Duvall, Kevin Costner & Annette Bening. Hard for me to take sides with this one. They both make a point. Good movie and a love story too.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Kevin Costner is just made for westerns! Have you seen Yellowstone? It’s very good.

That said, my favourite Costner movie remains Bull Durham.

2 Likes

And speaking of Robert Duvall, I rewatched Apocalypse Now yesterday. Some scenes hit harder than the last time I had watched it. Like the scene where the soldiers go wild as the playmates dance. It really shows the crazyness of war. But there are dozens of classic scenes of course.

1 Like

And then speaking of Francis Ford Coppola… :slight_smile:

I’m currently watching the new series The Offer, about how they started making The Godfather, seen from the eyes of its young producer Albert S. Ruddy (Miles Teller). It’s not a documentary, but dramatised.

It’s fabulous, probably the best series I’ve watched over the past few years. I’m only at episode 4 though… The reason I watched Apocalypse Now yesterday was because I don’t want to rush The Offer and see it in one go… I want to really enjoy it!

3 Likes

2 Likes

Looks like some kind of museum, but where?!

Academy Museum of Motion Pictures (Wilshire/Fairfax, LA)

https://youtu.be/HWqKPWO5T4o

New godfather exhibit

2 Likes

If you have the time/inclination, take a look at Apocalypse Now Redux, which has some previously excised footage. It somewhat changes the pacing, and arguably doesn’t add much to the overall story, but lots of film-y folks disagree with that, and noting the differences is interesting if that sort of thing is your jam, which it is for me.

Somewhat on topic, one of the ‘new’ scenes is an elaborate dinner at a posh estate.

3 Likes
3 Likes

I love Yellowstone. Those people really know how to take care of business. My favorite food related scene was the one between Beth and Rip concerning Tuna Helper. So cute. Although, I could’ve lived without 1883 and now we’ve got 1923 coming up.

I also liked Taylor Sheridan in Sons of Anarchy. Take a look at this snippet I just found online. It was news to me. Guess he had the last laugh on Sutter & Co.

“At that time, they were offering me what I thought was a very unfair wage. It was less than virtually every other person on the show, and not enough for me to quit my second job. So, the business affairs attorney, who I won’t name, here’s what he told my attorney who said, ‘look, there’s kids on the Cartoon Network making more than you’re offering this guy.’ The guy goes, ‘I know and you’re right that he probably deserves to make more, but we’re not going to pay him more because guess what, he’s not worth more. That’s what he’s worth. There’s 50 of him. He is 11 on the call sheet. That’s what that guy is, and that’s all he’s ever going to be.’ And that’s really when I quit. It wasn’t so much over money. It was so much more that that’s how the business saw me."

2 Likes

Well, a lot of football/soccer of course. And looking forward to the match on Saturday between the Netherlands and the USA!

Which coincidentally reflects on this US/Dutch movie I saw last weekend, for the second time since it came out. Directed by the Dutch director Paul Verhoeven, but very much ingrained in US culture. Basic Instinct. I thought the second viewing was better than the first, and I have some sympathy for below review, though I wouldn’t want to give it 10 out of 10.

2 Likes

Just started watching 1899. So far, the first two episodes are intriguing. I like the multiple languages spoken, and I’m drawn in. Could turn to shite within an episode like “Lost” did, of course. Ve shall see.

2 Likes

If you

1. care at all about Star Wars (not everyone does. That’s fine).

2. thought that Rogue One was clearly the best of the non original Trilogy films

3. were only mildly satisfied by the Mandolorian/Boba Fett/Obi Wan series…

I urge you to check out Andor. 12 ep first season just wrapped, to be followed by another 12 and then DONE.

It FEELS like old school Star Wars. Not for nothing, it’s one of the only series that takes place DURING the original trilogy’s timeline.

Good stuff.

3 Likes