What have you been watching lately?

I was disappointed in the Banshees. Still want to watch Women Talking.

1 Like

The focus seems to be on Sarah Polley, who is great in her own right, but Miriam Toews, who wrote the book, is the real person who brought this to life.

Her speech was one of the major highlights of another Oscar awards dud.

1 Like

I didn’t watch the Oscars :slightly_smiling_face: I don’t have the attention span.

Yeah, that’s where a little thing called “ffd” comes in. And I <3 the fashion.

I’m not so high tech. Glad you enjoy it. :slight_smile:

Recording a show then watching it ffd is high-tech?

I feel like such a tech bro now.

Well, at least you said ‘recording’ and not ‘taping’ which is a habit I fall back to every now and again.

That’s what happens when your tech roots go back too far.

I mean… my days of recording mix tapes from the radio top 40 are long over.

Not only.audio.

Why, back in my day our DEE vee arr was a VEE CEE arr and we put tapes in 'em!!

That’s how I managed to memorize Monty Python and the Holy Grail in 1984. VHS copy taped off cable.

I still have a shit ton of DVDs and CDs (and maybe a couple of VHS tapes). Not sure what to do with them, TBH. No way of watching or listening to them, and many movies I own are on demand these days (like the entire Christopher Guest or Coen Bros).

1 Like

If you want to keep the content, there are places that will transfer to a different format. We had our family VHS put on CD’s. I guess it’s time to put them on thumb drives. Walmart does it.

Between my partner and I, we still have LP and 45 records, audio cassettes, VHS cassettes, CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Rays. And the means to play all of them, though admittedly, the turntable is packed up on the top shelf of the closet with the tape deck. The partner’s old 1998 Saturn still has a functional tape deck AND one of those cassette adapters that let you plug in a CD player (or, now, an old mp3 player).

All that’s missing, really, is a 35mm film camera and a slide projector.

One of these days I will have a pull down screen and a 4K short throw projector and be like this guy watching whatever the lastest remaster of 2001 is…

(yes I am aware of the irony of presenting a commercial promising ‘hi fidelity’ in the blurriest, 3rd gen recording quality imaginable. :slight_smile:)

1 Like

Exactly my thoughts. The funny thing is that many of those establishments GR helped have been shut down I hear.

I loved Miriam Tower’s book, but “bringing it to life” (or rather, to the screen) was entirely down to Sarah Polley who had to take a book of women talking (narrated by the man in his minutes being taken) and transform it into the film we saw.

Thank you for the links, though.

1 Like

“Everything All At Once”. Streaming free for me on Showtime right now.

3 Likes

Everything Everywhere All At Once.

1 Like

bots again. really?

Maybe human. Had nothing to do. Or trying to figure out the internet. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Grace Jones: Bloodlight and Bami (2017 – Directed by Sofie Fiennes)

In 1981 I was 13, and Grace Jones put out the single ‘Demolition Man’ off her Nightclubbing album. It had been written by Sting for Zenyatta Mondatta but The Police never got around to recording it. (They would put it on the followup, Ghost in the Machine). I saw the video (taken from her live One Man Show tour) and was immediately hooked by this meanacing, androgynous performer that looked and sounded like nothing I’d seen before.

She was already a disco diva, a world famous model, and a fixture in the contemporary art scene, hanging around w/ folks like Debbie Harry and Andy Warhol.

This film, recorded mostly around 2008, combines footage of her then contemporary tour (including a great live cover of Warm Leatherette) captured in wonderful hi-def, with shaky, home video of her visiting her extended family back in her native Jamaica, where we meet her mother, siblings, and there’s a lot of discussion about her step-grandfather, the staunchly religious and physically abusive Mas P (Master Patrick). We see Jones berating session players who don’t show when she’s booked expensive studio time, and her furious at a TV producer for suckering her into performing surrounded by kitchy, ligerie-clad dancers. She hates the image, demands a re-do without the dancers, saying it makes her look like “a madame in a brothel”, but worries that the dancers will be angry with her, since it’s not their fault.

There’s very little context and this isn’t a ‘life story’. It’s an intimate window into a dynamic performer and incredibly insightful in how it relates her family and past to her art without ever being TOO explicit.

Also (particularly worth a mention in this forum), the film captures her eating a number of times, and it’s ALWAYS oysters or mussels or some other bi-valve. And she’s doing her own shucking, with no towel and no glove.

Bad ass!

4 Likes