What have you been watching lately?

I’ve only watched the Oscars live on Cable TV. I’ve never taped it or whatever people do now.

I started watching Karen Pirie on BritBox and I like it.

I want to watch The Secret of Santa Vittoria again. Downloading soon. 900mb not bad.

1 Like

Yeah, I could not sit through 4+ hours of self-congratulation and mostly lame jokes, plus the commercials. Thank goodness for DVRs/on demand cable.

2 Likes

If you are a reader Val McDermid’s 6 Karen Pirie novels are all wonderful. There will be a season 2, but not until late 2024.

1 Like

We finally started watching Wednesday since everyone seems to love it. My PIC was convinced he would hate it (we were both under the false impression that it’s a musical), but we both find it entertaining enough that we only have two epis left. Tim Burton rarely can do wrong.

Watched The Luminaries, not sure quite what I think of it.

I think I will never forget that movie.

Good to know!! Thanks!

1 Like

Is anyone old enough to remember the night back in the 70s when the Oscars, the NCAA basketball championship final, AND It’s A Mad Mad Mad Mad World were all on at the same time?

I remember that saying “if you remember you weren’t there”.

1 Like

A google tells me that would have been 1977, I’m fairly certain I remember watching It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. My father loved that movie and my early penchant for classic comedy meant that I actually recognized a good portion of the cameos, certainly more than your average 9 year old.

I was probably happy Rocky won, since that would have been the only one of them I would have seen, being 9 at the time. But man… All the President’s Men, Network, and Taxi Driver(!!!). No disrespect to Sly but… TAXI DRIVER, ferfucksake!

2 Likes

I’m too young… I did rewatch Rocky the other day, after 20+ years or something. What struck me was how low on action the movie is - it’s much more a ‘drama’ than a boxing movie. In a good way.

Although yes indeed, in no way should Rocky be picked over All the President’s Men, Network and Taxi Driver.

Speaking of Oscars: some of the recent winners left me lukewarm or even completely cold. And I’ve seen The Whale, The Banshees…, Everything Everywhere…, and Im Westen Nichts Neues. Haven’t seen Tar nor Aftersun yet, so here’s hoping!

Instead, I’ve been enjoying HBOs The Last of Us - familiar story but executed well. Sixth episode so far.

The best movie I’ve seen recently was another rewatch: 2014s Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Action movie first of all, but also made think about some deeper themes eg inability/unwillingness to understand other species/cultures versus choosing your own people. Great movie.

1 Like

Just started this. I like Pedro Pascale, but the accent is bothering me… still getting into the storyline (ep 1)

Despite everyone around us loving it, we couldn’t get into The Last Of Us. Simply too familiar of a plot (but then we gave up on the literal zombie TWD after the 4th or 5th season).

You’re the first person I know of who was left cold / was bored by EEAAO. I’ve no interest in the Whale (sounded saccharine) or Tar, and was disappointed by the Banshees.

Ok folks alright I’ll give you an unbiased opinion about The Last Of Us. :sweat_smile:Read about it up there for the first time, and downloaded one episode. But my sister’s little daughter in grade 5 wanted my table to do her homework. She came and sat there straight away. I have to wait until she’s done, to watch the episode on the computer. I can’t tell the boss to go to another table to do her studies.

2 Likes

I’m not surprised it’s the most watched show in the history of HBO.
Really appreciated Last of Us (never played the game). Episode 3 is a masterpiece. I didn’t watch through the lens of apocalyptic/zombie triller tropes (which it is) but as a more complicated drama about a father and daughter. The compelling story is the evolving relationship between Ellie and Joel. If you care about that, you’ll love it. If you’re not into those performances, then the other stuff might not be enough to sustain interest.

3 Likes

I love that movie! I thought Bombolini’s wife’s response to him saying that the Germans would put a gun to his head was hilarious!:joy:

1 Like

[quote=“damiano, post:435, topic:32171”]
Although yes indeed, in no way should Rocky be picked over All the President’s Men, Network and Taxi Driver.
[/quote

The interesting thing about back then is we had all actually seen the movies before the Oscar’s were announced. Unlike nowadays .Now everybody has to rush right out and comment. Movies they’d never even heard of until now. And most of them are bombs for the most part at the box office. Hollywood at its best.

1 Like

Not sure the point here. Should great art be awarded or just base it on views?