What have you been watching lately?

The Cook a Long on Netflix

I’m even learning about “orphan crops” like moringa.

Watching Midnight Diner on Netflix, from our hotel room In Shibuya. Some episodes for second or third time. Love this show!!

Went to Shinjuku Golden Gai area today, no real expectations of finding the fictional location. Didn’t recognize any landmarks from the show, still fun nevertheless.

2 Likes

I loved Midnight Diner.! How awesome to watch it there! After awhile, just the song put me in the right mood. I wish there were new ones.

1 Like

Don’t tell anyone. I tear up on almost every episode. Something about the story line development and characters really really pull my heart strings. And that soulful melancholy song!!

I’m on second season, 3rd episode. Again!!!

Just had an epiphany this afternoon. The next Tokyo trip, I’m gonna eat EVERY SINGLE story line item.

On this trip, we’ve had Parent and Egg. Tonkatsu. Crab (NYE feast episode). Tomago. Potato Salad. Egg Salad Sandos. Lots of Sushi, of course. And surely more. Will start a list of featured foods from now on.

2 Likes

The Lincoln Lawyer (2011) Good movie

2 Likes

Loved it! Also enjoy the books. Great character.

1 Like

Apparently Frasier is making a comeback. I don’t have high hopes though having read below article.

But, the news has made me rewatch season 1 and as mentioned in the comments below this article, the series has aged exceptionally well. It’s better than most/any sitcoms shown on tv these days, or have I been missing something?

1 Like

I used to watch that show religiously!

2 Likes

Cocaine Bear

Now, that title.either appeals. to you in a sort of Snakes on a Plane-level or not. And if not, that’s ok. Feel free to skip this one. You are not missing great cinema.

But if the title alone sounds like your idea of zero-brain-required fun, well, this delivers what it says on the tin.

Some drug dealers dump their coke over a Missouri forest. They send some folks to retrieve it. Meanwhile, there are cops, a pathetic youth gang, a park ranger, and a couple of hookey-playing tweens and the mom.

And, of course, the bear, who has found some of the cocaine and decided she REALLY likes it.

Hilarity and amusing deaths ensue.

This also marks the last film role for much beloved actor Ray Liotta, who memorably played the lead in Goodfellas.

My brother unexpectedly passed away last thurs, so after a few days of dealing with all that, this was exactly the thoughtless amusement we required.

8 Likes

I am so sincerely sorry for your brother’s passing. I hope you and yours are warmed and comforted by your happy memories of him.

2 Likes

So sorry for your loss @Lectroid . I am humbled to think that you would share that here. I’m not sure that humbled is the right word but this feels like a great community.

2 Likes

I’m so very sorry for your loss.

2 Likes

Watching Prime Suspect (with Helen Mirren as the DCI, from 1991) on BritBox.

2 Likes

My condolences, @Lectroid.

2 Likes

I am so sorry to hear about your loss, Lectroid, I know how it feels like. I saw a nice verse one day:
Time takes away the edge of grief
but memories turn back every leaf.

2 Likes

I’ve started it too. I spent one horrible summer during college as a cater waiter. Ron reminds me of the dickhead boss. So far I like it!

2 Likes

I have watched every episode of Death In Paradise up until Season 9 Episode 3 as I write this, and will watch them all, and the spin off. One of the things husband and I watch together, which is saying a lot, especially since our families are from different colonies and different Caribbean islands!

Thank you @Hunterwali . A much needed distraction.

3 Likes

I like this place because, thankfully, the worst things we disagree about are inconsequential fluff like “is it real carbonara if you put garlic in it?” where your particular opinion does not in any way reflect your quality as a person.

I also shared it because, given my emotional and physical exhaustion while seeing it, for it to be “good” was an EXTREMELY low bar to clear. Cocaine Bear cleared it handily. But I wanted to emphasize that in no way does this belong on anyone’s “MUST SEE” list. It is eye candy for those who like cartoon violence and snarky dialogue.

And it’s exactly the sort of film my brother would have just loved. So, there was that, too.

Thank you everyone for your well-wishes. It means more than I expected.

5 Likes

I’m sure most of us have been in that space where we need to just watch something mindlessly funny, to get that cathartic release from laughter and not having to think for awhile. Thank god those movies still exist. Cocaine Bear is on my list BTW.

1 Like

Rest his soul, Ray Liotta was not the best actor. As good as he was in Goodfellas, something just never clicked. I did like him in Blow with Johnny Depp. That scene with JD’s mother and the neighbor should go down in movie history. Good one.