What have you been watching lately?

Well done. Remarkable script. Remarkable performances. Remarkable attention to musical factual detail – all the way to his onstage “Play it James” nod to TCB leader, the incomparable James Burton. That said, we can see how it won’t be everyone’s cuppa.

2 Likes

Too Gun Maverick was great. Nobody makes action movies like this anymore. Highway to the danger zone !

1 Like

Skinamarink

Yeah. like the old children’s song. Which, notably, does NOT make an appearance in this very odd super-indie arthouse horror that somehow caught just the right butterfly wing flap and got thrown into virality. So much that not only did horror streamer Shudder pick it up, but gave it an (abbreviated) couple of weeks in actual theaters before going to the interwebs.

The plot, such as it is, is about two children, Kaylee (older, 6 or so?) and Kevin (age 4) who seem to be stranded in a house where the doors disappear, adults are absent or non-responsive, and there’s something else in there with them…

But as bare as that is, that really is it. The film is REALLY about the sense of atmosphere and dread the filmmakers create, with a recipe of long, still, exceedingly grainy shots of corners, halls, and partial doorways, broken only VERY occasionally by a foot, or a knee, or a shoulder and some hair creeping into frame as evidence that there are, actually, people around. The soundtrack is a tense, upsetting combination of white noise of various levels and the soundtracks to old 1920’s and 30’s cartoons playing on the television almost non-stop. It all feels very much like that disconnected nightmare logic we’re all probably too familiar with.

For horror/thriller lovers, there are some moments in the film that are absolutely masterful. A sequence in which the father (unseen) urges the small boy to check under the bed will have you white-knuckling for 3 minutes solid. There are a good half dozen of these exquisite little vingettes throughout the film.

But they’re surrounded by so much emptiness. At times, the film grain itself, being the ONLY variation on screen, began to take on patterns which I’m quite sure my mind was just filling in to have something to occupy it.

On the one hand, I wouldn’t recommend this to any but lovers of very SPECIFIC sorts of films, who are interested to see what can be done with rudimentary equipment, almost no budget, and a commitment to a concept. For those people, this is quite interesting, and should be seen in the theater.

For the rest of world… I’m worried that, as dark and low-contrast as the film is, that streaming compression (esp. Shudder, who have never managed to move past 720p) will obliterate what little there is to ACTUALLY see in frame. Combined with the (deliberately) slow pace and (deliberately) muffled sound, I anticipate a large portion of the viewing audience will feel frustrated and lost.

Unless you’re really into Tarkovsky-slow and not-very-accessible art-house hauntings, you can probably skip this. BUT, if you ARE like me and find the stuff going on at the edges of modern filmmaking interesting in their own right, this is worth a watch.

4 Likes

Cunk on Earth. Now on Netflix.

A parody of ponderous, quasi academic, historical documentaries (which i adore). It reminded me of the countless Michael Wood docs from the 80’s. It nails the tone and production style of this particular cinematic form. I had seen many clips and shorts over the years but this is a properly packaged season on a service available to me.

3 Likes

I turned to Top Gun . The elevator scene. Kelly to Tom ." I don’t date student’s." I watched the rest .of the movie. I have seen it before. In my book moved it ahead of Letters to Juliet.

1 Like

Finally getting around to white lotus. Season one. It’s ok. Some funny characters like Armand especially. I like the direct takes at interesting social and cultural issues. I hear season 2 is better.

1 Like

Depends on whom you ask I guess. I enjoyed the first season far more, the main reason being… Armand.

The second season is full of utterly loathsome people who are not particularly interesting, nor are the “story lines”. Men are ruled by their dumb sticks, regardless of age? Whoa. Mind. Blown.

The only saving grace is Jennifer Coolidge.

2 Likes

Most recent season of Fauda - pretty good, though the first two seasons set such a high bar it’s a rough act for them to follow.

Finally went back to Narcos after several years, having been unable to get into it before because of the subtitles and attention required. The Colombia seasons are much better overall imo than Mexico, but it’s such an unbelievable tale in all places that one has to keep reminding oneself it’s not pure fiction.

I want to rewatch these when I can pay full attention:

We really enjoyed this during heart of the pandemic, the grown ups anyways. Columbia that is. Mexico and the power drill scene was too much and down the show went.

Three pines was overall excellent - still a bit unsatisfying at the very end. Maybe there will be a second season.

Loved the first seasons of Fauda. For some reason, maybe the long hiatus, I’m finding season 3 harder to follow. Hard to be sure who’s on which side sometimes. Probably just me.

Not just you. S3 was the weakest imo, but again 1&2 were so good it probably wasn’t their fault!

I’m watching MI-5 on BritBox. Great cast. Someone was pining for good old spy thrillers, this should scratch that itch. Unless they have already watched it.

1 Like

I used to like it - thanks for the reminder!

1 Like

Last Chance U: Basketball is really good!

1 Like

Lots of memorable performers – Peter Firth, Keeley Hawes, Matthew McFayden, Jenny Agutter, Nicola Walker, et al.

1 Like

This is fantastic. Think Ali G at his most ignorant.

2 Likes

Wakanda forever sucked. Boring. Just terrible. Big disappointment after Black Panther.

1 Like

At the moment .I’m watching the Pamela Anderson story. Thumbs up

2 Likes

The story with Pam and Jack that made the news is funny stuff.

Scorsese promoting cape fear. he brings his mom out to make homemade pizza for dave and bill murray.

3 Likes