What have you been watching lately?

While I love Yellowstone, I only liked 1883. Tim McGraw is a great actor, loved him in Country Strong. His wife Faith Hill held her own quite well in this show too. But the daughter grew tiresome to me. As far as 1923 goes. What’s up next? The Dutton family 2050?

ETA: I was in Academy Sports yesterday. There is a Yellowstone clothing line. Made in China and Pakistan. Wonder what John Dutton would make of that.

1 Like

Vera is one of my favorites, Ann Cleeves’ books are very good too.

1 Like

I watch Yellowstone, even though some of the episodes strain credulity. I’ve enjoyed the cattle drive, branding etc episodes this season as it reminds me of my childhood. I’ve only watched the few episodes of 1883 and 1923 that were on Paramount. I liked them, I’ll sign for Paramount+ when all of 1923 has aired so I can binge watch.

The only familiarity I have with Yellowstone is watching Rutherford Falls take the piss with the show. Brilliant.

I enjoyed the first season of Das Boot and am not happy we apparently can’t get later seasons yet.

The reBoot hahaha or the OG series from the 80s?

1 Like

Just finished watching all 4 seasons of Goliath. Last one was probably the weakest, but had some great directorial choices I thought.

Currently watching ‘Pagan Peak’ aka ‘Der Pass,’ a German-Austrian crime series.

Ok. I’m going to pull out a deep obscurity: The independent microcinema in my town has been doing a month of ‘Coldwave’, the rough assemblage of Soviet-era sci fi out of Eastern Europe. Stuff like Tarkovsky’s Stalker (161 minutes, 142 shots. It’s… slow).

But the one I saw last night was IKARIE XB 1, a 1963 Czechoslovakian film about the crew of a ship sent to find a new, Earth-like planet near Alpha Centauri.

What this film achieves in terms of set design, cinematography, and special effects is stunning, and film buffs will recognize a LOT of imagery. That’s because Stanley Kubrick cited this film as a big influence in his making 2001. Simple boards with regular holes cut out and backlit become graphic, futuristic hallways that wouldn’t look out of place in a modern film. The special effects, limited by the technology of the day, is executed so cleanly that a modern audience might think the retro look is intentional, rather than a limitation of the time.

It’s a fascinating feature. Film buffs especially should make a point to seek it out, but it’s good viewing for any lover of golden and silver-age sci-fi.

1 Like

The Czechs were huge in the 60s and 70s. Made some really fantastic children’s shows & movies, too.

I only know the movie from the 80s. The reBOOT series (supposedly a sequel or something like that) is very good.

There was also a mini series in 1985 with the same actors as the movie. I always thought it was better than the movie.

Haven’t checkout the reBoot yet.

you keep saying reBoot, and all I can think of is this:

Which, for the time, was groundbreaking. That someone would even ATTEMPT to fully render a weekly series. It showed in the animation and final render quality of course, but back then its mere existence was the source of joy and wonder.

Al Pacino - And Justice For All - final scene.

3 Likes

Started watching Vera on BritBox.

2 Likes

An underappreciated Baltimore flick!

1 Like

Check out Karen Pirie while you have BritBox. It’s very good.

1 Like

Bowen Yang is great

Still seems this is a job for John Lovitz to me

2 Likes

@Phoenikia , And Gardener’s World! That’s why I originally subscribed.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Thanks!!