What have you been watching lately?

I think I’m ready to watch this today. “Girding my loins”. I should probably have looked that up before posting.

2 Likes

Finally got around to this (Netflix’s Troll) So much better than I’d anticipated.

And yeah, @linguafood, the dry Scandinavian humor really works.

1 Like

Her sauce recipe is written into the closing credits of Italianamerican (1974).

1 Like

Thanks !

1 Like

“Rosemary and Thyme” . Not really detecctives, who consult on amazing British gardens and then xxxx happens.

Almost as good as as “Murder She Wrote” with regard to story and character, but with a British/European, "Nanny and The Professor " touches.

Not nearly as “stop what you are doing and watch this” as “Vera”.

Vera has ruined me.

2 Likes

We’re also big fans of Vera, but no short shrift for the numerous alternatives:

Midsomer Murders (seems everyone who’s anyone has been in at least one episode)
Morse,
Lewis,
Endeavour,
Grantchester (all the James Runcie books are masterpieces)
Foyle’s War
Father Brown
. . .

3 Likes

If you love the gentle British murder mystery genre, you might like Death in Paradise. I don’t know if Americans know about it, but it’s fun.

5 Likes

We’d say Brenda Blethyn has ruined us.

2 Likes

“We’d say Brenda Blethyn has ruined us.”

That could be it.

Ooooo! Those sound perfect!

Thank you!

1 Like

Yep, I’m aware and of course was drawn in by the cheese name. (Important, much like with Rosemary and Thyme.)

You fitted me up! Just watched what I think was the pilot and really enjoyed it, including the setting. Apparently filmed in Guadalupe, an island not far from me maam’s and her lot!

I’m sure I’m butchering all these new phrases I’m hearing.

2 Likes

Clarkson’s Farm season 2 is out at last. Started watching it. Only had time to watch half of the first episode. Looks like it’s worth the wait.

If you want to watch something that strains credulity, watch Murder In Provence. All the characters have French names and are played by British actors. I can’t imagine what idiot thought this was a brilliant idea.

1 Like

Same reaction here; we figured the producers pulled off some sort of boondoggle? But that said, it’s a chore NOT to look in on Nancy Carroll and Roger Allam anywhere you find them, especially Father Brown or Endeavour.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s why I watched. I’ll probably watch the other two episodes and pretend it is in England rather than France.

Pulling from the old ‘America’s Test Kitchen’ thread drift, I’ll throw out

Landscape Artist of the Year
Landscape Artist of the Year (Canada)
Portrait Artist of the Year

all available on Tubi in the US. UK folks probably know them well. Competition shows between, yeah, painters. Very relaxing. A bare minimum of “meet the artist” intro and all the rest is process. So low key it’s almost meditative, even though there’s a $10,000 (or pound) comission/prize at the end.

I’ve found them tremendously relaxing low-stakes viewing.

3 Likes

Can’t find mention of it so I thought I’d throw out Extraordinary Attorney Woo on Netflix. It’s a Korean series about a high functioning autistic woman who is an attorney. Very much like The Good Doctor, which is based on another Korean series. In the same genre there’s also Astrid, now airing on PBS. I enjoy all three.

4 Likes

I’m really glad you enjoyed the pilot. There’s 12 series so far (S12 is currently airing on BBC and hooray, a new episode is up now). The show-runner said he’d be happy to keep going (the detectives have been a more rotating cast) and a spin off called Beyond Paradise will be premier later this month. (This one back in Britain, though.)

1 Like