What goes on your burger

The Aldi brioche w/sesame seeds is thick enough to not fall apart, thankfully.

I guess I grew up with cheese on burgers aka cheeseburgers, but I was americanized at a very young age. That just might be the culprit :wink:

It really agitates me to have anything under my burger besides the bottom of the bun. I annoy the hell out of my spouse in a pub when I reconstruct it. BTW - I like mine “through the garden” - do you know that phrase??

2 Likes

Only as it relates to Chicago hot dogs.

2 Likes

Thick slice of onion, Colman mustard and mayo, sometimes with cheese.

4 Likes

I’m familiar with Chicago hot dogs. They too much stuff on them. I would never associate “through the garden” with a hot dog. I’d be weeding really fast! I prefer simple maybe with sauerkraut and mustard, like grilled brats. I really miss good brats from the midwest. New England doesn’t have them. You’re more likely to get served seafood of some sort on a split-top grilled hotdog roll. Not a bad thing - just different. They don’t make great potato salad here, either…

3 Likes

The basics would be meat, ketchup, and lettuce, maybe a slice of tomato. Sauteed mushrooms and/or onions are a plus (raw onions stink up the breath). Thicker patty and preferably a toasted bun. I grew up kosher, so cheeseburgers were verboten, and even now I find melted cheese on meat too heavy and greasy. And IMO, mayo is an odd California thing.

2 Likes

I run the gamut from minimalist to moderate to stacked.

Especially for a leftover burger, eating at lunch the next day, I just toast the bun, slather on some butter, warm the burger and toss it on.

Sometimes I like all 3 of mayo/mustard/catsup, pickles, lettuce, super-thin avoc and onion slices, tomato and cheese (but the cheese, if so, is melted onto the burger on the grill). As for placement, mayo should be near lettuce then cheese & burger, with the other stuff underneath (I know pickles next to tomato is illegal in some jurisdictions, but we’re heathens here).

My most common though is just burger or cheeseburger with mustard/catsup and pickles.

2 Likes

@StephanieL

Interesting.
How did you come to associate mayonnaise and California?
We always had stands that offered mayo. tomatoes, and lettuce.

1 Like

Ketchup on bottom bun
Burger
Cheese
Lettuce
Tomato
Top bun

No mayo, please.

1 Like

I like a sturdy bun so I use telara rolls or French sandwich rolls, buttered and toasted. My standard burger is mustard, thick slabs of onion, patty (unless I grind my own it’s just 80/20 hamburger) with cheddar melted on top, tomato, ketchup, lettuce and mayo on the top bun. The lettuce is not always used but the other ingredients are written in stone, the order, not so much.

Ha ha ha. Tell her that you miss your Lego.

3 Likes

On a regular fat burger from bottom to top: bun, burger, tomsto, red onion, lettuce, mayo. No potato rolls, brioche or English muffins for me thanks.

OR

Toast, 2 1/4 pound smashburger style Patty’s, grilled ted onions & American cheese. Lots grease, lotsa flavor but I only make them on the flattop.

5 Likes

Cheese is above patty, I assume.

As a child a burger was just meat, bun & ketchup. Didn’t have a cheese burger til I was oh 14 I guess…thought I was being very daring. :grin: Liked it! As an adult I like sauteed onions…properly if you please! i.e. browned not just shown to the griddle & tossed on it…like the steak & cheese subs we had last night.

and yet another example of “appetite makes the best sauce”… coleslaw. never ever would have done that on my own but after a 12 hour bus ride going to work for the summer at Dad’s restaurant & getting there about 8pm I was STARVING & was given what was then called a “California Burger” on the menu-- meat, cheese, BLT & slaw & I think ketchup too but it was wonderful! I’d still only order my default basic ketchup & burger or cheese burger but won’t turn up my nose at a slaw burger.

1 Like

No one with any sense turns nose up at a slaw burger – it’s got it’s own song fer goodness sake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTBWiUkR69w

2 Likes

Searching fading memory . . . now it comes back . . . but no slaw burger . . . instead . . . we’ve had slaw dogs both times at the legendary Varsity:

1 Like

Yeah. I don’t think I’ve ever had or even been offered a slaw burger.
We had the much lamented (not by me)Goober burger at the Wheel in Sedalia.
My hatred of peanut butter meant I never tried it.
Closed now because of highway expansion. :frowning:

I’d def top a teriyaki beef burger, or Asian pork burger with a complimentary slaw.

4 Likes

Mostly on tangent . . . kraut is for reubens (corned beef), and slaw is for rachels (pastrami). We like both. On tangent, we’ve made slaw burgers just because makings were there after we’d heard the song. Some commercial tagline – “try it, you’ll like it.” We’re easy that way, and now we think there’s a famous song about being easy is not easy.

1 Like

I am having a flashback to an old thread on the defunct CH that I started with a title like How do you build your burger? Got a lot of friendly disagreement on toppings and order. Was fun to watch then and will sit back and watch again

2 Likes