And how do you construct it?

5 Likes

Smashburgers
 deli American cheese, mayo/ketchup/pickle/tomato/onion/lettuce

Big Mac Clone

Philly Burger
 shrooms/onion/pepper/cheese/soy & Worcestershire

Hawaiian
 onion/pepper/teriyaki/pineapple/lettuce/mayo (no photo)

7 Likes

I’m a minimalist: medium-rare beef burger on the small side), some kind of cheese, mayo, lettuce, pickles, soft but sturdy bun - that’s it!

My husband’s order is even more minimal: medium beef burger, lettuce, mayo, soft but sturdy bun. (He feels that cheese on a burger is “gross” and should be illegal.) But he also has to have fries and a chocolate milkshake.

6 Likes

I like my lettuce underneath, tomatoes, onion, and pickles on top.
Mustard and mayonnaise.
Occasionally I’m daring and add ketchup. :slightly_smiling_face: :
@TheLibrarian28
I agree with your husband about cheese most times.

Meat, cheddar, bacon , avocado, on a grilled bun. Maybe a smear of mayo, ketchup, mustard or all three depending on my mood. NO vegetables. My husband otoh puts everything but the kitchen sink on his. To each his/her own.

3 Likes

On my Logan burgers . Less than eight ounce of meat . Smashed super thin . American cheese with grilled onions .cooked in a ci skillet. I use the lousiest cheapest buns available.
On the grill. 4 oz of meat. Buttered Hooty yaya buns . Mayo and Boursin cooking cream with sharp cheddar.

4 Likes

I assume you don’t mean what exact ingredients go on my burger but the “sequence” it goes on. I know there is a huge debate about burger construction. The ever famous Great Burger Controversy

In this case, I build mine more inline with the Microsoft burger

3 Likes

I actually meant both, because the ingredients affect the construction.
:slight_smile: this is via your question on the other thread.
BTW
Cheese below the patty (Google) sounds ridiculous.

5 Likes

Ideally: meat, smoked gouda, onion, bacon, mustard, ketchup. And lots of black pepper. Cheese varies with medium to sharp cheddar, and bacon usually isn’t on there. I prefer a bun without sesame seeds.

1 Like

Cheese above the patty . All vegetables below.

1 Like

Shaped into a log, rolled around in a cast iron pan so entire exterior is seared while interior is medium rare. Toss some sliced onion and mushrooms in the pan once the meat has rendered some fat.

Open and lightly toast a long potato bun (toaster oven). Spread with a little Kewpie mayo. Then lay a couple of slices of Swiss or cheddar on the cut surface and melt it. If you put the hot onion/shroom mix on room temp cheese you won’t need the toaster oven to melt it. Add the cooked meat, top with ketchup. Alternatively, substitute unheated corn relish for the onion/shrooms.

Although the burger log looks like you know what, the advantages are that if the bun remains hinged, the toppings won’t spill out as easily as with a round or square patty, and it’s easy to eat if you hold it hinge side down.

3 Likes

Actually I read there is an argument for it
 something along the line that the cheese will catch the juice from the patty and keep the bun dry. I just put cheese on top of burger because that was how I grew up.
The one definitely does not make sense to me is Samsung. Why would I put a cold lettuce in between the cheese and hot patty? Unless the goal is intentionally keep the cheese cool

Now, back to ingredients themselves. They change all the time, but my almost must have ingredients are: buns and patty (of course), and then cheese and tomato. Lettuce if possible, but sometime it does not make sense to buy an entire lettuce for just a few burgers. I am not a huge ketchup person when it comes to burger. I prefer mayo or mustard.

2 Likes

Since we are a low carb household (95% of the time :wink:), I have two distinct burger “dressing” preferences - with or without bun.

Without bun: Thick and medium rare max, cheese required. Usually a slice of Swiss or pepper jack paired with a slice of American, fully melted. I enjoy but do not require grilled or caramelized onions on this version (plopped on top). Mayo is a must - usually I add finely chopped green olives (olive burgers are childhood fave - local chain called Hot ‘n’ Now served them), but if I don’t have any or am too lazy to chop them, I add a squirt of mustard, horseradish, hot sauce or pickled jalapeños to the mayo. Usually I leave the mayo on the side and dip, but sometimes I put it on top to let it mingle with the onions. If I don’t have mayo, blue cheese salad dressing is my preferred dipping alternative. Eat with fork. (BTW, I didn’t forget about my beloved bacon. I’ll eat it on/with a bunless burger, but it’s hard to cut with a fork, so I usually don’t prepare them with bacon myself).

With bun: Thick and medium rare or thin/smash both fine, but I like a high meat-to-bun ratio, so with thin burgers I do a double. Cheese less important, but if it’s there I want a strong one (stinky blue along with gruyere or similar). Martin’s potato roll or something interesting/flavored (onion brioche, buttery rye toast, jalapeño cheddar roll, etc.). If the bun is just a regular bun, I don’t bother, and if it’s a very thick bun I go open-faced. Bacon highly preferred and roasted cherry tomatoes are an acceptable topping (in addition to/combined with the toppings from my bunless assembly). Pickles and/or finely chopped raw onions also okay but I wouldn’t seek them out. I am flexible, though - the addition of mayo/dressing plus a tangy element is the only must. Everything goes on top of the burger so that the bottom bun can soak up burger juices (roasted tomatoes are the one exception - I usually put them on the bottom where they can mingle with the meat grease because they are also juicy).

Ketchup is a sin against humanity, and if I want lettuce or any other raw vegetable, I’ll order a salad (which I usually do instead of fries). I’m also okay with inventive meat-on-meat type toppings (like pulled pork or brisket, a slice of pork belly, bacon jam, etc) and deep fried things (onion straws, pickle chips, etc), but if the burger itself is really good I don’t need them. Not really a fan of chili on a burger (love it on a dog).

ETA: I forgot about mushrooms. I love a mushroom Swiss burger (preferably with bacon and onions) but have no interest in mushrooms in any other burger topping combination. Mushrooms should be well cooked and directly on top of the meat with the cheese on top so that it melts into them and secures them to the meat. I prefer this burger on a bun or rye toast.

3 Likes

Boy, some of you sure are particular as to what goes where on what I consider a plain old hamburger.:blush:

4 Likes

Can we also talk about how English muffins are entirely inappropriate as burger buns? Way too chewy, hard to bite through.

3 Likes

Cheese and dill pickles

Or

Sauteed mushrooms and swiss

Or

Blue cheese and avocado

Or

Bacon and cheese

2 Likes

Why would anyone want a dry bun? The whole point of the bun is that it gets more and more delicious as it catches all the juices.

4 Likes

Toasted Bottom bun with mayo
Burger - medium rare
Cheese- American or Cheddar
Pickles
Sliced red onion
Tomato slice
Lettuce
Ketchup
Toasted Top sesame bun

Always in that order. I’m very particular about burger construction!

4 Likes

Ok. I remember slightly wrong. it was about defending Apple’s placemen of lettuce underneath the patty. "One gastronome hopped in to defend Apple’s placing of the lettuce underneath the burger, for meat-juice-soaking reasons. "

While it is not the cheese, it is about using the lettuce to keep the bottom bun dry.

2 Likes

Either way, I still think it’s insane. I WANT the bun to get juiced up!

1 Like