What goes on your burger

Really? I was just debating to get English muffins Friday as a substitute for regular burger buns.

I like the brioche burger buns or sesame buns the best, but a lot of Torontonians who are burger cognoscenti seem to be against brioche buns. They think the brioche buns are too soft.

Potato buns are trendy now.

I don’t mind buttered English muffins, or bacon egg McMuffins/ breakfast sandwiches.

I’d rather have a regular bun with a burger.

2 Likes

Ha. I just bought Biroche buns Friday to give them a try. I like them. I think in general I like to try slightly different things. I also saw Potato buns. I will try that next time.

1 Like

It may be an unpopular opinion (probably is given the number of restaurants that use them as buns), but I really don’t like English muffins as a bun or sandwich bread. They are just too tough to bite through with two layers (an open faced English muffin sandwich is fine). The innards squish out and the meat to bread ratio is usually off too.

I feel the same way about bagels and crusty rolls. They are fine for open faced sandwiches but not two-faced! :rofl:

1 Like

The flagel is better for a sandwich.

Sometimes I slice a bagel into 3s instead of in half, and use 2/3 of the slices in a sandwich, using the other third later for a toasted bagel.

1 Like

I agree brioche can be tricky. Too enriched and they become too delicate to stand up to a burger. I like potato buns for their texture (soft but still sturdy enough) and the hint of sweetness. An onion potato bun is my absolute fave but they are hard to find commercially.

3 Likes

I just looked. My brioche-style burger buns do not have eggs. Ha

https://giantfood.com/groceries/bread-bakery/rolls-buns/hamburger-buns/natures-own-perfectly-crafted-brioche-style-hamburger-buns-8-ct-18-oz-pkg.html

2 Likes

27 posts and going, and not one of you has yet mentioned: Gold Foil.

6 Likes

A slightly toasted potato bun.

A well constructed burger with quality beef (1:1 ratio of the following sirloin, chuck and flap meat) and seasoned generously with sea salt and fresh ground pepper needs nothing else.

1 Like

Ha - more for the rest of us! :grinning:

2 Likes

Wait, are you my wife?

4 Likes

It depends - for me. If it is a thin patty, then I think a slice of cheese is nice. If it has thick patty or fatty patty (like these Australian Waygu beef burger), then I think cheese can be cut. It really depends on the situation for me.

A chili cheeseburger. Simple but good.

4 Likes

For beef - Dijon on the bottom bun. Followed by lettuce, tomato, onion, patty, pickle.

For lamb - cucumber replaces the onion. And mint is added.

For pork - mayo spiked with pimenton on both bread halves. Lettuce, tomato, red pepper

4 Likes

This is how it goes down, and in fact we had beef burgers tonight: Sesame seed buns (that hold up), lightly toasted w/Mayo on both buns, burger patty seasoned w/Chicago Steak Seasoning and brushed w/bbq sauce, cooked to medium w/some pink, topped w/cheese, usually medium cheddar, but it varies. Ketchup, slices of sweet onion, and :leafy_green: Put together and enjoy. Yum. Once in a blue moon, bacon!

4 Likes

Aldi’s brioche bun or something that’s both soft & sturdy, and ideally covered with sesame seeds.

Mayo & sliced red onion on the bottom bun. MR local ground, ideally some chuck mix.

Cheese. American or sharp cheddar or >gasp< a slice of each. Always, always cheese. Burgers without cheese should be illegal.

Top bun gets a shmear of mayo & ketchup, lettuce leaf, maybe a thin tomato slice and a pickle. Makes stuff slide around, tho. It’s a messy meal, for sure.

L&W fries on the side, with more ketchup and mayo for dippin’.

5 Likes

Hear you on the cheese - last time I had a burger without cheese, was a takeout order where they forgot to put it on. Oh no! Just not the same.

1 Like

A cheeseless burger is a sad thing.

3 Likes

Yes truly, worth shedding a tear or so! :cry:

1 Like

In my experience, most burger buns fall apart halfway through eating. Brioche is OK. But my bread preference is a Lancashire oven bottom muffin I don’t know how widely available they are outside of the region, even in the UK.

As for cheese, it does nothing for me on a burger. But I think its inclusion on seemingly almost any sandwich is much more common in America than here.